Texman Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texman Build

That sounds good. My oven sits at about 475 after 24 hours and 325 after 48 hours.

Comment

Got some seeds for ya, PM me your address and will send.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 09-06-2013, 07:27 AM. Reason: can't spell or type
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Did some cooking yesterday. 3 pies
        cheese for the daughter, canadian bacon with thin sliced jalepenos and pineapple and a pepperoni/green chili. The floor is so hot it literally cooks the crust in about 30 seconds. And that includes turning time. I end up holding the pie in a peel to cook the top more to get it evened out. Total time in oven maybe 90 seconds. i am not capable of cooking more than one at a time.

Still working on the dough and i still use a rolling pin. My dough tears when i try to hand slap. So i give up and use the pin because i want to eat.
        Gonna spend some more time at the pizzamaking.com and try to learn some more. Still tastes great BTW.

Last pic is of the cleared dome and spreading the coals to close up for the night.
        tex
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Seeds on their way.
          Russell

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
            Did some cooking yesterday. 3 pies
            cheese for the daughter, canadian bacon with thin sliced jalepenos and pineapple and a pepperoni/green chili. The floor is so hot it literally cooks the crust in about 30 seconds. And that includes turning time. I end up holding the pie in a peel to cook the top more to get it evened out. Total time in oven maybe 90 seconds. i am not capable of cooking more than one at a time.

Still working on the dough and i still use a rolling pin. My dough tears when i try to hand slap. So i give up and use the pin because i want to eat.
            Gonna spend some more time at the pizzamaking.com and try to learn some more. Still tastes great BTW.

Last pic is of the cleared dome and spreading the coals to close up for the night.
            tex
            What is your dough recipe? It should be very supple and not tear easy at all. Let me know if you want a recipe Ive worked on for years that will strech a mile and give you outstanding flavor.
            Chris

Link to my photo album:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

hodgey

I have been using chip's recipe for bread. Please send yours too. I dont think i have been stretching/folding enough or doing it right from the video i just watched.

chips recipe from general mills he said:

Basic recipe is one I keep coming back to and have been playing with the timing and techniques. Basic recipe came from General Mills Food Lab

1000 G 13% protein Dakota Maid Bread Flour
              600 G Water 75 degrees F
              1tsp Active Dry Yeast
              2tsp Salt

2 TBS EVOO

Put water in mixer and add yeast
              mix for 1 minute
              add Flour that has had salt forked into it to lower direct contact with yeast
              mix for 1 minute low speed.
              Add Olive Oil
              Mix for 4 more minutes - General Mills says 8 minutes but they do not do stretch and folds. or initial 45 minute bench time.

I dont use a mixer and dont add that much oil. maybe i should.
              Thanks!

Texman
              Last edited by texman; 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM. Reason: explain
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Wow - that is some pile of coals! Mine are usually burned down much more by the end of the night. Pizza looks great too.

On the dough - that recipe looks good. I think I add a bit more water to mine - at 60/40 ratio (66% hydration) where yours is 63%. The thing I have found makes the biggest difference is how I proof the dough. I also don't use a mixer. Just autolyze for 20 mins or so, add the salt after, then 4-5 S&F's on a 15-20 minute rest cycle. It feels like the dough will never get there after the first couple, but it has great structure by the end. Bulk proof overnight in the fridge, then ball and room temp proof for 1-2 hours before I bake. The big "Ah hah" I had was making sure I balled the dough with some surface tension before final proof - makes it much easier to work when I stretch it. That seems to have taken care of the tearing issue I had.

But also, I don't "slap" to stretch. I get a crust ring going on the table, and then stretch the skin by hanging over the backs of my fists working it around in a circle. Sometimes I'll give it a toss if somebody is watching . But that may be a gentler method than slapping. I learned it watching the pizzaoli we hired for my birthday last year.
                Last edited by deejayoh; 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

DJ
                  Thanks for the help.

when you autolyse, just flour and water, right?
                  then 20 minutes rest
                  then add salt and yeast. ?
                  S&f 4-5 times and let rest.
                  So just add the IDY and salt to the dough ball and work it in?

I have been mixing the yeast and salt in the water to dissolve and then adding flour.

Does the longer proof make the dough more workable? How long do you keep your unused dough?

Texman
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

I dissolve the yeast and add it with the water when autolyzing. Only the salt goes in later. I don't think you are supposed to add salt with the yeast as I think I've read it inhibits yeast growth, but I am not 100% on that. We have bread experts here

On the S&F - I wait 20 mins between each S&F. I got that tip from somebody here on the board (Maybe Tscar?). The whole routine takes a couple hours, but it lets the gluten develop (and I can get it done while watching Top Chef and Master Chef on Weds night). I also find that it's easier to stretch it long one way and fold three times, then stretch it long the other way and fold 3 times than it is to make one big flat piece that you fold both ways. But that's probably deep in the details...

The longer proof *definitely* helps with workability. If I am doing a "same day" dough, I let it bulk proof maybe 5-6 hours at room temp, then ball it - and it seems to work fine too but the taste and structure are better with the longer fridge proof, IMHO.

Dough seems to keep OK in the fridge several days and if I'm not going to use it quickly, I put it in the freezer. Pull out the day before and let it thaw in the fridge, and then re-ball it and let it raise at room temp 1-2 hours before baking.
                    My build progress

Comment

Tex,

This is my favorite recipe, I?ve been working on it for years. It is extremely simple yet needs some patients to gain texture and full flavor in the refridge. I have found 3-4 days to be my favorite, when using 80-100* water in the beginning. I've made it and used it the same day with decent results and have also had one dough that was over a week old that was very good, near sour dough flavor.

What I've listed for the water temperature below is my favorite, you can use 70* but let it go 4-5 days. Use 120* water and use it the same day, I?ve tried them all, but love what the 100* water does to jump start the fermentation and how it reacts over time in the refridge making an awesome flavored, light bubbly dough.

This recipe makes Qty: 2 Size: 13-14" pizzas
                      ? 370g Flour
                      ? 250g 100* water
                      ? 1 tsp rapid rise yeast
                      ? 1.5 tsp fine sea salt

Techniques:
                      ? Weigh water and flour. Salt & yeast I use a measuring spoon
                      ? I use food a processor ?FP?, I've done it by hand, by stand mixer and combination, the FP does it best
                      ? Pulse together dry ingredients. Flour and salt first then add yeast.
                      ? Run FP full on and add all the water at once and continue running for 45 seconds.
                      ? Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide dough in half; knead into ball, putting each in a sealed, lightly oiled round plastic container, spray top of dough also. Immediately refrigerate for 3-4 days.
                      ? Remove dough?s from refridge an hour, no more than two hours before making pizzas.

Must do's and don?ts:
                      ? Do not degas while stretching dough! Lightly flour both sides of dough and gently knead out the size crust edge you want with finger tips on floured surface, then smack dough between hands then use floured fists to gently stretch while turning constantly, Lay on peel or counter and make pizza
                      ? If making on a peel use semolina for sliding off .
                      ? Use High Gluten flour from Sam's Club, Gordon foods, King Author any good quality hi gluten.
                      ? Don?t overdo the sauce or overdo the toppings.
                      ? I like a mixture of provolone and mozzarella cheese.
                      ? I am now doing this in my newly constructed Wood Fired Oven with great results with floor at around 700* in front of active fire. I?ve been doing it for years in my house oven with a brick insert that has been preheated at least an hour at 550* with very good results.
                      ? Extra dough, hmm. Having a salad or pasta? Preheat your gas grill, stretch the dough like you?re going to make pizza without shaping crust, throw on your hot grill. As soon as it sets up take tongs flip it over and smother the entire top with a mixture of Olive oil and melted butter with brush, sprinkle with granulated garlic, garlic salt and parmesan cheese. When don, remove, cut into whatever shape hits you and serve hot to the delight of others and yourself!
                      ? Drinking beer is a must during any and all steps.

Chris
                      Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Chris, your recipe is almost the same as mine. When you say high gluten flour, do you mean bread flour? Most flour is labeled as bread or all purpose.
                        My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          Chris, your recipe is almost the same as mine. When you say high gluten flour, do you mean bread flour? Most flour is labeled as bread or all purpose.
                          Hi Deejay/Tex

There is a difference in these flours. The protein content in bread four is around 12.5% and 14+% for high gluten. The difference it makes in the dough/crust is mostly in the texture/chew. Great pizza can be made using the technique I described with really any flour, caputo 00, AP, bread, pastry and so on but IMHO the high gluten makes it best. It's all personal preference, tastes and goals of what pizza you trying to perfect. Me, I crave a NY style light chew with the airy, light, bubbly goodness in the outer crust. Never dry, never hard and never ever given to the dog.

At SAMs and Gordon Foods its plainly labeled " high gluten", I think King Author calls theirs sir Lancelot.I get mine mostly at SAMs club but for some, the large bag can be a problem. I put it in sealed large plastic "old pretzel" containers in my pantry and it keeps fine for months.

Chris
                          Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

i found this infrared (IR) to RF (radio freq) remote converter to use with the indoor amp. It is really simple to set up and pretty cheap. $38 It uses your existing IR remote and you just replace one of the batteries with the ones provided to make the remote work as RF, from outside. No more running back and forth to change volume, etc. Very nice and it works! My old amp finally got bad enough that i justified a replacement and that gave me the opportunity to add a subwoofer out in the kitchen as well. It is in the cabinet under the window it sounds great out there now.

Also i finally finished the @#^*)% pergola. i think that took longer than the wfo. Also staining the gates to match the pergola. i had 20+ yards of concrete poured a week ago for a back patio that i will be working on next. It has been a complete landscape overhaul since finishing the kitchen and has lasted all summer long and still going. now that concrete is in, i can reassemble the whole mess, i hope.

Beware of what awaits after the outdoor kitchen is done.

Tracy
                            Texman Kitchen

Comment

Concrete patio poured. Another wall and an aching back.
                              Oh well, not getting fat from eating too much pizza yet.

Tex
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Wow, that is alot of mud. Really looks nice.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X