X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

DJO
    thanks for the comment
    I worry about how to keep the water from seeping in from the exposed bits of the hearth and getting into the oven that way.
    I'm still not quite decided on whether to make an enclosure. I went this way because I thought I would try the igloo finish, and if it looks like it will be problematic I will add an enclosure later.
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

kpm1st
      thanks - I think that one had just milano salami

If your going for a render or brick igloo finish there's a sealer I used that is suposed to last 10 years
      I will check that out - Is it an additive to render or something you paint on afterwards?

I decided the thrown together aluminium peel worked so well and didn't stick (iused some flour just in case) that I would try and make a more respectable looking version. I originlly got that sheet of aluminium from that engineering guy to make an angle for the IT - but it was too brittle. He gave me quite a big sheet for a couple of euro. I bought two wooden handles and made a bigger peel with the rest of it and converted the other one to a turning peel with a hacksaw, a grinder and finsihed the edges with a file.

Looks OK I think - I was constrained by the width which was 9" so only small pizzas for the moment. Anybody know what the advantage of wooden peels are?
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
        DJO
        thanks for the comment

I'm still not quite decided on whether to make an enclosure. I went this way because I thought I would try the igloo finish, and if it looks like it will be problematic I will add an enclosure later.
        FWIW, it seemed easier to make an enclosure and have a very good chance of keeping the oven dry for years; compared to a dome with layers that had to be water proofed and then water proofed again when it settled or otherwise cracked/leaked. In my view, the roof of an enclosure makes the water seal around the vent more reliable. I guess I didn't want to deal with moisture leaks down the road.

P.S. The eaves of the enclosure can allow for lighting, tool storage and even wood storage. The enclosure can add versatility to the oven in ways the dome finish cannot.
        Last edited by Lburou; 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

lburou
          FWIW, it seemed easier to make an enclosure and have a very good chance of keeping the oven dry for years; compared to a dome with layers that had to be water proofed and then water proofed again when it settled or otherwise crackedleaked. In my view, the roof of an enclosure makes the water seal around the vent more reliable. I guess I didn't want to deal with moisture leaks down the road.

P.S. The eaves of the enclosure can allow for lighting, tool storage and even wood storage. The enclosure can add versatility to the oven in ways the dome finish cannot.
          You have me almost convinced to go for an enclosure - one thing I do not have with this oven is extra storage and I do have an oversized slab.
          The difference between the igloo and enclosure is like the difference between a family estate car and one of those sporty coupes. I like the coupe but it's not very practical

Oh I forgot to post a photo of the peels I made today. I fitted them to the handles just by cutting a slot in the handles with a jigsaw - which they fitted snugly, and then drilled a couple of holes for the woodscrews with a steel bit.
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

I don't see why you can't have an igloo and at least some of the benefits of an enclosure. That was my thinking when I decided to go with what I call a "roof-over". I like the looks of an igloo and I like dry .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
              I don't see why you can't have an igloo and at least some of the benefits of an enclosure. That was my thinking when I decided to go with what I call a "roof-over". I like the looks of an igloo and I like dry .
              Thanks Gulf. That's an option which I have not totally dismissed either. But there was a post a few weeks back describing a problem with dome shell heating after a period without using the oven.
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/o...uch-17608.html
              If you follow the build links in his picasaweb album it shows a really nice hexagonal gazebo like enclosure. The general consensus was that moisture was the cause of the problem, and I guess the domes exposure to ambient humidity and maybe windblown rain could have contributed.

It would be good if I could depend on the rain descending vertically all the time but quite often it approaches the horizontal here
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

As Forrest Gump said "We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath".
                We live in a subtropical climate. Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Tornados, and when there is nothing exciting happening: just high ass humidity .
                down here, if you keep something covered long enough in the wet months and only seal after a couple of the low humidity months, it will be OK.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

hi Amac the sika 700 seal is a paint on product and I used nearly a gallon of it to give me 6 coats and so far any rain seems to bead and run off pizza tools look just as good as 1 I got which by the way was American build would have thought of little house over oven but didn't get planning permission from higher up Kevin

Comment

I'm embarassed by how little I have got done in the last month or so - and the weather has been mostly excellent. Still haven't managed to decide how to complete the oven - so I need a kick in the ass.
                    I did make a second door after the first attempt warped/shrunk so badly all the boards separated even though I was soaking it. Learning from my mistakes (not!) I made another wooden one - this time from a single piece of teak I had in the garage, just over 1" thick. I won't face it to the oven though - first I push in the old one and the new one fits neatly over it. That'll do me until the first one chars so badly I have to replace it. Carved the hadles from the same piece and bolted them on. Did I read somewhere that zinc plated is bad and I should use stainless for bolts?

I also made a piece of flue from some scrap copper cylinder I got from hammond lane for €20 - (there must be some tinker in the blood ) - even made the copper rivets by following a you tube video. I got a quote from my engineering guy for a stainless steel one and it was €220 so that decided me to have a go. I tried the shorter piece and it fits OK.
                    I am trying to decide whether to transition the longer piece to a round flue but I don't really see any advantage - it would actually make the flue opening larger I reckon, when I should be tapering it.

I've started to pick out and clean some stones to build up my retaining wall at the front of the oven. That wall was last years project and all the stones came from the back garden. The stone around here is mostly limestone and the slope at the back is glacial boulder clay so a lot of the stones have little fossils which show up after cleaning them.
                    Last edited by Amac; 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM.
                    Amac
                    Link to my WFO build

Comment

There are a lot of great builds going on right now at the same time. I definately see yours as one of the best . Congratulations on being named to Lburou's. I don't know if it is acceptable or not but I am going to add a like to my own post (this one) .

Edit: Evidently it is not acceptable (the option is not available) but, I would if I could .
                      Last edited by Gulf; 06-24-2012, 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                        Hi Aidan,

Great build mate, I like what your are doing with the stonework it looks great.

Hey Joe, I hope you don't just LIKE your oven you LOVE it like the rest of us.
                        Hey Doug,
                        I was actually referring to my above post . But, on that note, I don't think it would ever work. Me being a "commoner: and all .

Comment

There are a lot of great builds going on right now at the same time. I definately see yours as one of the best . Congratulations on being named to Lburou's (A newbie?s survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives)
                          I am speechless - Lburou's list is the nearest we have on this forum to an award system and I feel as though I won an oscar, and I should have prepared a speech thanking lot's of people. I really feel almost embarrassed to be included on that list of great builds with dino, gianni karangi Dude, yourself and tu to name just some. Thanks also for the comments guys.
                          Now - no pressure but I better get on and finish this to some presentable level. I have a few ideas (and a few bricks which I rescued from a skip) so this week I have some plans to carry on weather permitting - this last week we've had a lot of rain.
                          Last edited by Amac; 06-24-2012, 05:50 AM.
                          Amac
                          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Congratulation on being place on the list and it is well deserved. There has been a lot of great WFO designing/building taking place in 2012. Keep up with the good work mate!
                            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Great Job and congrats! You had my vote just from using the angle grinder. I can hardly build with a wet saw! Keep up the good work; we are watching
                              Tracy
                              Texman Kitchen
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Amac,

Really like your chimney design, and if you have no objections, I would like to incorporate the brick layout into my build, only I will adding a joint of DuraVent on top of the brick. Nice to be able to have access to all that stone. Great build.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X