39" Stargate Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

Well - I got the main counter at the fromt poured over the last few hours - it was dark as I was finishing but once started I had to finish. The first pic is the counter after pouring and with the glass seeded on the surface. My method here leaves a bit yo be desired - just like seeding grass and just like grass uou get bunching here and there. The second one is after trowelling in the glass.

I meant to add some black stones but forgot in my rush to finish so its just blue and green
    later edit:
    Went back out and added in those stones and some crushed budweiser bottle - god knows what it'll turn out like - all this done by lamplight
    Last edited by Amac; 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM.
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Very nice! keep up the good work and remember to post the complete pics when you are finished so we can add them to the website.

Maria

Comment

I second The BeeH've", on "watching your thread on the counter pour". I will be starting on mine soon, I hope . Keep the pics of the progress coming.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
          crushed budweiser bottle
          WTF - you're in Ireland man - shouldn't it be a Guinness?
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            Budweiser/guiness .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              That was I my head when I ws crushing the bottles Les, but like a lot of things these days it slipped out again so it wasn't to hand when I needed it
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                I second The BeeH've", on "watching your thread on the counter pour". I will be starting on mine soon, I hope . Keep the pics of the progress coming.
                I sure hope this doesn't turn out a mess - if it does the only pictures you will see will have tiles
                Amac
                Link to my WFO build

Comment

It is called selective photography......I tried not to take pictures of my oops! Do you have a hard time floating the concrete after the glass is sprinkled in?
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    It is called selective photography......I tried not to take pictures of my oops! Do you have a hard time floating the concrete after the glass is sprinkled in?
                    the procedure is:
                    1. level (screed) it
                    2. sprinkle the glass
                    3. tamp the glass down with a wooden float
                    4. trowel it with a metal plastering trowel until it is just covered.

It's not difficult but in the cold light of day it could have been more level. I will wait about a week before attempting to grind it. I laid it in two layers again - bottom layer except the edges that will be seen is normal sand and portland - then metal lath then the top 1" or 3/4" is white. The mix I used was 2:1 sand to cement (a bit less cement on the bottom layer) which is high but that is one I found online.

I couldn't find that quickcrete countertop mix (or any) mentioned by Neil2 locally which is why I went the DIY route yet again.

Ideally this shouldn't be the first attempt at this but they say we learn by mistakes so I should be well educated by the end of this project.

Try to start your pour in the morning or early afternoon so you finish in daylight.
                    Amac
                    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Will be interested to see how it turns out when you grind it. Thx.
                      Russell

Comment

Eventful few days - good and bad
                        On Wednesday I took the forms off the landing counter. Happy enough it didn't disintegrate.
                        I intended to wait till Monday before polishing/Grinding) but Saturday was fine and I couldn't wait so started on it with 50 grit. Did some parging (is that the correct term?) today to fill the air holes etc.. so next up is 100 grit.

Had some visitors at the weekend also so we fired it up on Saturday also - pretty hot - and made some pizza, which were delicious. Later made a casserole for Sunday.

Disaster struck though - in the form of a dreaded crack on the stucco - starting at the chimnney base and extending back onto the dome. I blame the thin vernicrete insulation on the chimnney. I should have used ceramic wool instead.

Everywhere (i.e the dome proper) which has the wool still felt cold to the touch but the chimney was warm. Not sure what to do about it but at the moment I am still covering with tarp.
                        Last edited by Amac; 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM.
                        Amac
                        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Amac,

Liking the concrete countertop with the glass. I am starting to collect my glass for my top. Did you tape the exposed chip board edge or somewhere else? Thanks for the compliment on the chimney..........
                          Russell

Comment

Yes I taped the edges - basically anywhere the chipboard is exposed - even slightly. I had done that also in the test piece but I saw in one place I missed that the form board swelled noticeably - so don't skimp on it.
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Did some more polishing today - up to 800 grit. I'll wait a while before I decide to go to a higher polish. As I said it isn't perfect but then again if it was it would clash with my oven and I can't have that
                              I'm glad I took this option - since it is the same sand cement that I used for the stucco, the colour is fine. Overall I like the look and feel, and had no complaints so far from the higher authorities
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

looking good. I'm gearing up to form for my counter top. Rounded up enough melamine for form now going to rip up in the right widths and screw together. Why are you waiting for polishing further? Concrete still too soft relative to the glass? Just curious....Like we said before if mama happy everyone is happy.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X