X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amac
    replied
    Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

That looks brilliant kpm - is that a catenary shaped dome? What kind of dome guide did you use. I haven't really given much thought to how I go on after the dome is closed in. I have to think abou the vent and flue - I might need some advice there. Did you pick up that flue piece at dineens also?
    Aidan
    PS spent the whole day watching TV first the rugby - and some GAA and then McIlroy(he's only Rmac which is way down the alphabet) win in Florida and get to WORLD NUMBER ONE - and against a resurgent Tiger.

Leave a comment:

• kpms1st
    replied

Hi just got photo on to finished oven photo section under nearly finished kpm

Leave a comment:

• kpms1st
    replied

Hi Amac thats the place by the way when firing up I tested the temp underneath oven which is fire brick then 4'' vermiculite then 4'' reinforced and it was warmer than I expected it to be so I am going to put another 2" of high density insulation under. still working on pic's but had computer blow out and lost some photo programs all the best kpm

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

My oven is pretty big, about 46" inside diameter
    That is huge Laku, I'm even more impressed - is it a commercial operation - I did lose track counting the rows - just as well Finland is covered in forest

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Hi kpm
    there are 3 brick factories within 40klm 1 of which produces it's own precast oven
    I guess you mean Dineens near Athy. They are the suppliers of the firebrick vermiculite and fireclay I am using. I just bought them from the Ganlys builders suppliers here. I did call to dineens a couple of months back and got some of the ceramic blanket. I spoke to them about that oven and they said they were planning to change the design. Having said that I saw one like it in Spain last year - also precast with the chimney in the middle of the dome. It was a very small commercial operation where they just did pizza and Spanish omelette for passers by..
    You should upload a few pics. I don't bother with the camera, just the phone whic is always in my pocket, and upload em with bluetooth - so no cables. The photos look cr*p on the phone but not too bad when they are uploaded and I don't have to compress them.
    ?300 a loaf but worth it
    must be damn good bread

Leave a comment:

• kpms1st
    replied

Hi had same problem when I reached the point of gravity & used plastic conduit that I had around to hold in place .Sorry no pic's of build but used basic bravo design but used ciment fondue mix lucky down this way as there are 3 brick factories within 40klm 1 of which produces it's own precast oven but a bit odd in that the chimney is in the oven its self,anyway they could also supply ceramic blanket vermiculite fire brick just about all one needed .Have nearly finished curing fires and have a few bits of pointing to do but on last fire baked some brown soda bread after fire had died down to embers and surprise it worked took about 1hour so happy only about ?300 a loaf but worth it kpm

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    I was impressed at how well you managed to cut your bricks to get gid of the side Vs. I see you used an angle grinder also - I found I can make virtually any cut but dust is everywhere. Wetting the bricks and the blade between cuts helps but limited.
    How many blades did you use. I am still on the first one - maybe I will will get another oven from the second one
    Lots of dust, just use respiratory protection and soak the bricks before cutting.

I think I used about one and half diamond blades on fire bricks and 3-4 stone blades before those on regular bricks.

My oven is pretty big, about 46" inside diameter so there were more bricks to cut. (started the build with different plan, until I found out about this site)

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Whenever I placed the second one I disturbed the first brick and had to start all over.
    This happened to me too. Really frustrating. So what I did was use my angle grinder to cut two parallel channels in each completed course. It took about three minutes total. Then, on the bottom of each brick I made two lengthwise cuts that ended up perpendicular to the channel cuts. This really helped in keeping each brick from sliding down because I didn't use an IT or any device to hold each brick until it was set.

A real mason might regard this as unnecessary, but I believe it worked. A couple times I wasn't satisfied with my brick placement and took them out to re-mortar them. When I pulled the bricks apart, the protruding ridges created by the channels were intact.

John
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Thanks for the tip Laku I will try that at the next row. It wasn't so much that the brick was sliding (it was still supported by the IT) as that I moved the first one sideways when tapping in the second brick. I just had to be more careful than the earlier rows
    Actually I intended last evening to place just one brick in the next row and leave it undisturbed overnight but I got lazy.
    I was impressed at how well you managed to cut your bricks to get gid of the side Vs. I see you used an angle grinder also - I found I can make virtually any cut but dust is everywhere. Wetting the bricks and the blade between cuts helps but limited.
    How many blades did you use. I am still on the first one - maybe I will will get another oven from the second one

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

I feel I'm on the home straight now - but that last row was tricky - especially the first two bricks. Whenever I placed the second one I disturbed the first brick and had to start all over.
    Did you use sticks to support it from beneath? like this

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Thanks John - really appreciate the encouraging comments - I feel I'm on the home straight now - but that last row was tricky - especially the first two bricks. Whenever I placed the second one I disturbed the first brick and had to start all over. it was like leap frog.
    Now you need to finish octoforno so I can copy the rest
    Aidan

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Love the symmetry, Aidan. Verrry tight-looking oven. It won't be long now.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Yesterday was officially the first day of spring (well in some peoples opinion) and it was a beautiful spring day Sure enough the primroses are here, and yesterday I saw a large bumblebee ... ah if only Sammy Davis Jnr ruled the world ..
    SAMMY DAVIS Jr ~ IF I RULED THE WORLD - YouTube
    So I was able to get row 7 completed and an attempt with a discarded arch form to check if it is still circular. Not quite but not bad. Hard to see here but slightly out towards - where else - the arch.

If you want to get rid of that pile of rocks in your backyard - just put them on a pallet and ship them to me in California!
    Sure Cheesesteak - I'll send em via stargate. They're the detritus from my last project. The wife dreads my projects

Anois teacht an Earraigh
    beidh an l? d?l chun sh?neadh,
    Is tar eis na f?il Br?de
    ard?igh m? mo sheol...

Aidan

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Aren't finns used to extremes - like jumping from the sauna into the snow
    - I researched it just now - and yes it is true
    It's true. But that's straight out from sauna, not standing in place for hours.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Just to clarify (correct?) what I said in the last post:
    My mistake was thinking it should change as the rows went up because the circle gets smaller
    This is roughly true if you are using same size - say 1/2 size bricks. As the brick sizes get smaller - to 1/3 for example - the angle front to back gets smaller also but will not change just because you go up the rows, so a 1/3 size brick on row 1 could be cut at the same angle (front to back) as a 1/3 size brick on row 6.
    Aidan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X