I Blew It !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Blew It !!

I was not aware of this site and built my base with the dimensions measuring 54" inches by 54" inches. Can I fit a 36" inch Pompeii hand made brick oven ?:

Re: I Blew It !!

Sure you can. You have 18 inches to play with. 2 half bricks take 9 inches leaving you with 4 1/2 inches for insulation and cladding per side. Should be no problem for an igloo design.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les, I am thinking the distance from back to front may be a little tight. Can I push the oven Opening in a few inches? So the back radius will be 18" and the oven opening to the middle be a little less, like 14" is that possible ?

Comment

I think you may need to have the opening on a corner. There are many ways to make that work and it gives you some room for the entry. I obviously haven't laid it out but I think it will work - a couple more glasses of wine and I know it will.

Comment

Yep the wine ! Hilarious ! The corner installation won't work with the layout of my patio.

Comment

Bummer. If you want an entry (and vent) you need to add surface area.

Comment

Oh crap! What about a little canteliver on the front edge. I would hate to pour more concrete an add another stack of bricks. I want to start laying fire brick, I'm sick of the ground work and labour.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Buckles View Post
                Oh crap! What about a little canteliver on the front edge.
                Im sure thats what Gulf did with his.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Al, how can I see a picture of gulf's

Comment

One post with pics, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...tml#post128265

The whole thread, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...4-a-17062.html
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Because I was rather starved for space I designed my oven on a square base 910 x 910 mm
                      I pushed the entry into the oven a little and made the entry really shallow. All works pretty well, but interior is only 21".
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry,
                        I do not have a true cantilever on the front of my oven. I supported mine mostly off of corbels which were preformed into the hearth. I think that I've seen the cantilever pored afterward some where on this site though. You will have to use all the available space outside of the insulation "foot print" of your oven to get enough counter weight to make it work.

To do what I did now, you would have to bring you supports all the way from the foundation.
                        Assuming that you will finish your dome as an igloo:
                        You might think about gaining a few inches in the back of the oven in a similar manner. Put your dome as far back as possible. Keep the firebrick a full 2 inches from the edge. This would keep the main weight of the dome where it needs to rest. It would leave a bulge in the rear of insulation and render hanging over the edge. This could be supported from the foudation: A block pillor in the very center of the rear of the stand. There should be a few inches of the original fondation there for it to partially set on. An extra 16" X 24" foundation could be pored under that. I would bring this support column up even with the hearth. I would tie the hearth and the new support column together with a couple of layers of cement board cut in the simicircle shape of the finnished dome.
                        You will have about room for about 2 inches of the board to set on the original hearth. This should be able to support the small amount of insulation and render which bulges out side of the hearth.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I think I will dig the soil and pour an extension to the concrete foundation. Add an extra row of blocks and add to the hearth with concrete. All tie ins with 1/2 rebar for strength. It's a ton of work but I believe it has to be done. I need to make this a true authentic italian brick oven as this is a passion and hobby of everyone on this site. I would hate to cut a corner this early. It's a few extra bucks and a couple of labour days.....hey Gulf great job on you oven it's fantastic!!!

Comment

If you are doing the extra work - consider a 42 inch?

Comment

I need to make this a true authentic italian brick oven as this is a passion and hobby of everyone on this site.
                              I would agree. Your most-important addition shouldn't be that much trouble and hopefully go quickly. FWIW, here's how I did my cantilever.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X