Dtherr Build in Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dtherr Build in Mississippi

Yes the vermiculite is Premium [MEDIUM] blend by sungro they didnt carry the course blend for that is why i want to mix both together, figure it will actually do better that way the vermiculite should make a tighter bond around the perlite ... Gulf how is the weather near you ? hasn't started the downpour here yet but they say we will get a drenching rain next couple days ,figures just when i get time to work on my oven mother nature decides she wants me to wait that much longer for my first pizza

Comment

Weather down here is supposed to perfect on Monday . But, I will be back at the real job .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Sunday morning rain was gone so poured the vermiculite/perlite . I let it stay formed up till today and formed up a ledge overhang on front side it extends 3.5 inches and on the side it extends 9 inches . it will be used as support for my concrete countertop, placed 3 bolts so that it can be bolted down from the inside . on the front edge of the ledge support i placed house insulation it should make the ledge a chiseled look . Fingers crossed it comes out right

Comment

-Interesting ledge. Kind of a lefty approach I guess.

-I would keep the vermiculite mix supported as long as possible. It takes a wile to set up and it can be a little crumbly.
          -I am partial to a round arch and entry, but thats just me.
          -Keep up the good work.

Mike D

Comment

Yes on the second day the ver/per mix was crumbly but on the third day it is almost as hard as my 2 week old hearth ,I am pleased with how well it turned out I had several factors for placing the ledge on the left side , putting on the right side would have taken up space for the eating area on my patio ,also as i'm right handed it is more comfortable for me to hold the pizza peel while my wife loads it with pizza and placing in the oven (I did a mock setup to make sure which way was more comfortable and efficient). Now comes the hard part waiting for it to dry out before I start laying the oven floor . I have put off going to go get my fireclay and heatstop 50 for that very purpose, 50 mile drive to the nearest supplier, so have too plan a trip as work allows

Comment

Took forms off and power washed the insulation off the front edge .. may mix a grout and do some detail work in a few areas but all in all I think it turned out good .. Was wondering if I should bring the other areas around the verm/perlite up to level with more concrete or just wait and fill in later with the vermiculite after I build the enclosure?

Comment

What kind of enclosure are you planning on?

Comment

metal studs walling up the sides and roof on top still debating on siding

Comment

Saturday laid the floor and got halfway done with the soldiers , got the vent footprint started ,and played with the arch .For the expansion joint between the floor and wall I used a strip of 1/4 " luan ,once the dome gets past the arch I should be able to remove it, if not able to remove then the curing fires should take care of that Today goal is to finish soldier course and the first course of dome , that should deplete the bricks I have so will be heading back to the brickyard for more. The Heatstop 50 is easier to use then I thought it would be mixing 2 cups at a time leaves plenty of time for cleanup and adjusting once I get a rhythm will increase the amount I mix

Comment

todays progress

Comment

Looking good there Reb!
                        Your making great progress. You will probably pass me before I get finished.
                        Looking forward to riding up the Trace for a pizza .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

when done your more then welcome to drop by and have a pie doubt im done before you though went to jackson today and got more fire bricks .. they only had 85 in stock so bought em and plant is on shutdown so will be end of June before they will have more .. total bricks i have is 210 ,hope it will be enough got another tier done this evening tapered that run , first 2 i didnt and boy did it go thru some mortar

Comment

Arch and another tier done will let the arch dry couple days then start tying in the other rows

Comment

How's it coming,
                              I don't think ya'll are getting quite as much rain up there so there should be some more progress pics coming pretty soon. Right?

Comment

sorry no new updates still waiting for brick plant to get more bricks made in Georgia and plant is on yearly shut down (or so i was told) looks like i need 100 more , hopefully by first of July they will have them

Comment

Working...
                                X