Indispensable Tool Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indispensable Tool Construction

Since this tool is being used by most people I see on this forum, I'm wondering if there is a section on its construction. I've found a few, but would like to hear of more.

Also, if you make the IT, at least in my case, the tool is going to be based 1/2" to 3/4" above the cooking surface. How do you account for the difference, or do you just go with it since it's minimal?

Thanks for the great info found here!

Re: Indispensable Tool Construction

i made mine telescoping so when i start my build i can do a mock build first and adjust it to fit just before i start

Comment

I am sure that you have checked the main thread. If not: IT
      "Telescoping" is good for the final adjustment. Mine and few others used turnbuckles + allthread for the adjustable IT.
      Are you building a true hemisphere or will you set your's on a soldier course?
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html

Originally posted by davidwilcox123 View Post
        Since this tool is being used by most people I see on this forum, I'm wondering if there is a section on its construction. I've found a few, but would like to hear of more.

Also, if you make the IT, at least in my case, the tool is going to be based 1/2" to 3/4" above the cooking surface. How do you account for the difference, or do you just go with it since it's minimal?

Comment

the tool is going to be based 1/2" to 3/4" above the cooking surface. How do you account for the difference, or do you just go with it since it's minimal?
          If that is the biggest thing wrong with the oven you will have a masterpiece and it is not even sure to say it is "wrong". It will be impossible to tell if it is 1/2" 3/4" higher so I wouldn't worry about that. The dome itself will still be a perfect hemisphere just raised 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch. Adjusting it is an nice idea and easy enough to do with a threaded bolt but as Sharkey pointed out to me - if you do adjust it the angle will no longer grip the brick properly (more important if there is an attached clamp). I would just go with it - copy or adapt jcg31s design - it sets the angle slightly better.
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by davidwilcox123 View Post

This is my Hendo tool apparatus. I drilled a hole in a firebrick and put a caster in the hole, removed the wheel and installed the clamp/spreader on the axle (using washers for spacers). In the end, we removed the clamp handle and it worked fine until the last four or five rings.

We used sticks to prop the bricks up for a few rings and finally, a Pilate's ball for the final three or four rings at the top. I elevated the center pivot of the Hendo tool deliberately to raise the dome height and ultimately have a taller door for big things like wild hogs and turkey.

When we no longer used the Hendo tool, I just took the center firebrick out, removed the shim under that brick and replaced it with a nice new one.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I simply used a piece of wood, non adjusting. I put a hinge through a 1/8" thick piece of masonite with a single bolt and a couple washers to let it freely rotate. The masonite I cut before putting it in, then screwed it back together so when the dome was done I could simply unscrew the connecting blocks and remove the 3 pieces of masonite through my arch. Screwing it together allowed me to spread the masonite to tightly fit the soldier course so the tool never moved. A simple corner bracket from Lowes held the bricks perfectly and helped set the proper angle.

All told my tool cost less then $5 for the hinge & brackets

the parallel strips of wood you can see in the pic underneath the plastic are the strips i put on to screw the masonite back together.

Comment

Working...
              X