Vermiculite Base Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite Base Insulation

I have a 4" layer of 5:1 vermiculite concrete. Is that adequate to insulate the bottom of my oven? Do I need to add some board insulation above the vermiculite? I plan on insulating the outside with four of the 1"x25' rolls of ceramic blanket. Money is tight, and I think the ceramic board is going to cost me close to $200. That would almost pay for the rest of my bricks, and the blanket insulation. I don't need to cook three days later, but I also don't want my oven cooling down after a half hour. I would hate to lift the oven off the base and add more insulation after its done. I think its going to be pretty heavy.
    So here was yesterday:

And here is today:

Re: Vermiculite Base Insulation

From what I have read many feel that 4" of 5-1 of vermicrete is enough. If you want to save money and still have more insulation without adding much more height, Two inches of Calcium Silicate would be less than half the price of what you quoted as the ceramic board sells for. It is equal in insulation factor as the 4" of V-crete which you already have.
    I hope that 3 rolls of ceramic fiber blanket is enough for my oven (44"), but then again I am planning to put 4" of V-crete over that.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I think you will be fine with the vermicrete you already have.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm at the point of no return, and just a little bit nervous. Hopefully my floor will go in tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X