X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I can't say anymore than has already been said already, but WOW . I am very much, looking forward to you finale for the vent cover and the flu.

I haven't worked with copper to a large extent. Just as a flashing from time to time and as roofs over a couple of bay windows. In each of those cases, we just installed, and left things to age naturally. Are you going to use any of the recomendadions on the net for speeding up the process?

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Simply amazing Russ, great work

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Stunning!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Hello Russell,
    You surely have a lot of patience and dedication to your oven project. I see you had a lot of fun working around the chimney and creating the saddle.

I hope while you have been working on he cladding that you occasionally put some wood inside and fire up the oven for cooking. It's almost too pretty to use!

Keep the progress photos coming. There are a lot of people watching your progress with envy.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Finished cladding on the dome portion of the oven. Going to do a pounded copper cap shaped like a mushroom for now then eventually a finale but that will have to wait until I finalize the design and gather the materials.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Mikku,

At this time I am looking at doing a lap siding type cladding on the sides, similar interlocking joints.
    Would you be making smaller pieces, alternating with larger ones to do the corner? Would be like brickwork halves and full? Or just one piece that would wrap the corner and tie into the curve of the dome?

Looks like you are having fun with the copper! That is what is so special about designing something--when you can actually make it materialize!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Mikku,

At this time I am looking at doing a lap siding type cladding on the sides, similar interlocking joints.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Can you take a photo of the front and side of oven--and mark where you will be cladding it with copper? It is interesting to see how you handle each detail.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

russel,
    are you taking this all the way up under the chiminey capping and to the front?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Two of the most complex shingles done today, several hours making templates, cutting, bending and fitting. Over the hump now,

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Who was it who said "cannot get no respect?" Roger Dangerfield? seems like life is punishing me the older I get! for what? I'm a real nice guy! But this is Russells' thread and he's got a whole lot of talent and knows how to use it!

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

You're a youngster, 43years this year! Cannot figure it out yet!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by mikku View Post
    Wife refers to me as "he", when working on truck; tools; oven; building that houses oven; actually whatever I am doing (that I like to do). And in her eyes, I am an "inanimate object"-- go figure that one out!
    Buddy,
    Trust me.....DON'T try to figure them out......Just except your lot in life.....safer that way

Regards Dave.
    30 yrs married in 22 days time

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Yes, that is an amazing feat of workmanship.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Russell the magnificent.

That Russell is truly an amazing feat of precision. How does it feel bringing the vision to reality? You must feel an incredible sense off achievement. This would have to be the best finished igloo on forno and will be second to none for a very very long time.

Can't wait for the verdigris patina to kick in, or speed along. Have you practiced on scrap yet?

When finished sit down with a bottle or two of a nice Aussie shiraz, a nice roaring fire, some seafood morsels stick them on skewer flash cook in the oven and sit back and admire all the hard work.

YOU DESERVE IT CONGRATULATIONS
    Btw
    thx for all your help and expertise

Leave a comment:

Working...
X