X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikku
    replied
    Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Maybe the finale needs to be something cast from the copper pieces that have been generated as scrap. I'm sure you have the skills and artist ability to create the crowning jewel.. then it is "all" hand made with your skilled hands!

Same for the chimney... a sleeve would make a great addition but then you need to build a matching spark arrester. It doesn't have to be like the factory ones.

And you said--"getting near the top, with nothing left to do?"

Really interesting to watch your build, I think everyone agrees it is all about the love you put into your projects, it shows!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I have an interesting piece I picked up, it was a hanging lamp brass and yes it is square but food of thought, there are a lot of old brass lamps, that might make a nice cap/key. It would not need to be nearly as tall as this one.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Russell, That is looking Great! Congratulations on your soon to be completed oven!

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

That's amazing Utah, it looks like nothing I've ever seen!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Did a couple courses of shingles this weekend. Reminds me of doing the brick dome, by time you reach the top you are getting pretty good with cutting and fitting, then you are done........with no more to do.
    Ann just said OH, MY.... When I showed her the most recent photo of your oven. We will need to stop by to see it when we come out to SLC in December.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• v12spirit
    replied

Russel,

Your dome is becoming increasingly famous. You should start choosing a name for it. It looks inspired from your beehiving, you may find a beehiving inspired name, or maybe a Gold inspired name.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Russell
    That , is truly, the most amazing pieces of work on any oven I have seen. And I'm not going to say another word
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Russell

that looks stunningly gorgeous, a master at work.

Do you know I would leave the chimney the contrast against the copper looks complimentary.

again well done.

when you get the aged look happening, it will be take it to another level.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

The oven cladding is looking great!
    There is still a lot to do at the top and the exterior of the landing area and transition to your chimney though.
    Now that you got the basics down pat, don't let anything distract you from finishing these "Scratch your head, sit down and think about it-final details".
    Do you have some "final" piece to trademark your creation?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Did a couple courses of shingles this weekend. Reminds me of doing the brick dome, by time you reach the top you are getting pretty good with cutting and fitting, then you are done........with no more to do.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I was in SLC earlier this week, and got the chance to meet Russell & his lovely wife, and to see his fabulous oven. It is a work of art! Thanks Russell for your hospitality! We very much enjoyed the visit and look forward to entertaining you when you get to Seattle

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

What a fascinating process and gorgeous result. Please post often.

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Hope I am not over doing my progress reports or boring people on the cladding.
    Russell, please keep posting picture of your progress. I am enjoying watching your finish. I think it looks awesome! Can't wait to see it finished.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Mikku,

I am going to try in interlink the entry shingles and the dome shingles with the same type of overbend/under bend with rain channel underneath as a secondary backup for water migration. Some soldering might be necessary to tie everything together here.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Hello Russell,
    The thought on the rain channel --would have a hook formed on both edges away from the valley, same as your shingles have. If water enters, it is channeled to the center-the design you have channels the water nowhere--it easily migrates to the masonry below. If your shingles interlock between dome and transition, then maybe not important. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X