Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I have returned to the Forum, too many good builds going on to stay away.

I have rebuilt my photo links and build documentation for anyone who is interested
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-11-2016, 11:30 AM. Reason: Updated links
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looking great. I'm in Sandy. Where are you? You can look at my build here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/co...s-16434-8.html

Comment

Damn Russel,

I wished I wasn't one of the pioneers on this site. When I jumped in we were just hoping the thing would stand. What you and others are doing is just incredible! Good luck with the rest of it.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments,

Clofgreen - Watch you build while my recovering from my wing surgery this winter. If I remember correctly you got your fire brick from the Geneva steel mill too. I live in the Aves, might take you up on a visit when I get stumped.

Les - Without the pioneers the next generation cannot move forward. My build is a combination of several innovations and trials and errors of the members of this forum, too many to name, but thanks all.

I have placed and cut my floor brick. It was somewhat of a challenge, since the brick I got was high duty surplus (but new) from an old steel mill in Orem Utah. The price was right, $0.35 each but the draw back is they are hard as a rock to cut and they are all tapered (5.25" top, 5.75" bottom, 3" thick and 9 to 14" long). After much head scratching I was able to do a floor pattern without too may long seams.

Will post more pics soon

Russell
        Russell

Comment

Russell,

I too salvaged my bricks from Geneva, what a find !! I used a large brick/block saw and they cut pretty well. My design is a barrel design. It works well. I used the large bricks, 4 1/2X8X18 or so for my floor and a bunch of smaller tapers for my barrrel. I even found 4 half arches for my openings. I am in Bountiful if you ever get this way. Our oven is not fancy but it works well. Keep us all posted.

Derk

Comment

Derk,

Once a Sanford and Son always a Sanford and Son. I remember you fire brick arch during your build.

I am planning on using "home brew" picking up all may materials this past week. Any feedback on best ratios for our area?

My fire brick floor insulation is two tier materials, 2" foam glass on hearth (since it is water prove with 1 1/2" cal silicate blocks (less fragile than foam glass) over foam glass. Holding off cutting the foam glass and Cal Si until I have the exact shape of the floor dialed in. But getting close.

If anyone needs earlier pics of my base, I did make a photo log from ground breaking to current. Not to say it is the best way, just documentation of my build.

Russell
            Russell

Comment

I used the classic 3:1:1:1 (sand : fireclay : portland cement : hydrated lime) and it worked perfectly. I have extra brew materials if you want them.

Comment

Derk/Clofgreen,

There has been some discussion on this forum about high duty bricks getting too hot to cook pizza, what has been you experience so far with the Geneva brick since they are in your builds? Can't worry about it too much the brick I have is the brick I use.

Thanks,

Russell
                Russell

Comment

No problems here. The oven cooks fantastic pizzas. I posted an example on page 15.

Comment

Layout the floor, made an IT(based on jcg31's model) and cut the floor.

Clofgreen - thanks for the feedback on the brick temperatures, pies look great.

Off to making the form for the inner arch, going to use Karanga Dude and GianniF's example of a taper arch as my guidance for my build.

Russell
                    Russell

Comment

Those bricks look familiar. We set our floor bricks 4.5 X7X18 on their edge so our floor is 4.5" thick. We also make great pizza. A while back we had a family get together on a sunday and leaving the coals in and closing the door we had fall off the bones whole turkey tuesday night. Keep things a little moist as you go along. Things really dry out quick here. Go easy on the curing when you get to that point. I think that I cheated the devil and did not do as many small fires as is recommended. I see no cracks or any other signs of damage.

We were also luck to get tapered bricks for my vault, did not cut a one for it. it is also 4.5 thick.

Good luck,

Derk

Comment

Derk,

Thanks for the info. I will keep the curing issue in mind but I have a ways to go so hope to remember your tid bit of info by then. What was your hearth insulation under your 4.5" floor? Finished the inner arch plywood form and dome template and going over GianniF's process for a tapered arch. Hoping to have a productive Memorial Day weekend. Happy holiday to all you WFOs.
                        Russell

Comment

Looks like you have things well in hand Russell

I like the use of those recycled bricks. I don't think the high duty bricks act much different than low duty bricks for our purpose, its just that they will go to a much higher temperature and stay intact. Our ovens don't approach the temps that will compromise even the low duty bricks. That is what I've read anyway.

You have a neat operation there, you must be a 'detail' person.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Lee,

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. BTW, I thank you for putting the "treasure" achive link together to highlight some of the best builds in the forum. I used these links as becnhmark for my build. Unfortunately, good or bad I am a perfectionist. I think more than I do so my work is and will run in spurts.

Russell
                            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Lee,

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. BTW, I thank you for putting the "treasure" achive link together to highlight some of the best builds in the forum. I used these links as becnhmark for my build. Unfortunately, good or bad I am a perfectionist. I think more than I do so my work is and will run in spurts.

Russell
                              Glad that thread was useful to you! The oven construction is a fulfilling and pleasurable journey, enjoy it.
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X