Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Been lurking about on here, and have found this as a valuable resource for my build. Thank you guys!
    My story began watching a tv show over here called "River Cottage" where they hastily knocked up a pile of Concrete Blocks, moulded a sand form and made a Cob oven in an afternoon for a Pizza party that evening. Clay was a bit hard to find in my particular Area of the UK, so i stumbled upon this website, and their fantastic free plans (thank you) which steered me in a new direction.
    My budget wouldn't allow a full Firebrick version, (the ovens on here can be works of art!) so my investigations followed a more Traditional/recycled approach. I've rounded up some full clay bricks (Thanks Rado, for your website and its valuable information also), and matched the brick to a Hydraulic Lime mortar.
    My Photoblog will be uploaded shortly.

Last edited by Bookemdanno; 06-20-2012, 05:31 AM. Reason: Photoblog added

Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Built up a reclaimed concrete block base last year, based loosely upon FBs great downloadable plans.
    This is to be faced with Old red bricks eventually as part of a BBQ and Garden Oven area. I used Concrete Lintels to span the walls and topped them with 2'x3'x2" paving slabs, which the local councils use over here. They are beasts and very strong!

Comment

Over winter, i didn't get much done apart from building up a stock of Victorian Red bricks from a demolished Barn just up the road. And lots more research and pining to be out building my oven.
      Oven building got replaced by Bathroom refurbishnent, and started again this month.

Comment

[

Storage Heater bricks have been used in the base layer, for their designed reason of heat retention and slow release. Again...free of charge!
        Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Welcome,

Must be a Hawaii Five O fan? Originally I am from HI. Anyway your build is looking good and their is nothing wrong with doing a build on a limited budget. You are the second one I have seen using storage heater bricks so I am watching with interest. There has been some lively discussions on this but IMHO your forge ahead with what you have.
          Check out Lburou's "treasure archives" in the newbie section, it is a great reference for some of the best builds on this forum.

Russell
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell, yes of the original when i was a kid and i didn't even mind the re-makes!

Thanks for the heads up on treasure archives too!

I visited Hawaii, Maui and Oahu for 3 weeks in 2001. Why on earth did you leave!?!

Comment

An insulating layer of aerated concrete blocks, mixed with a section of reclaimed Kiln Insulating bricks centred at the the oven were laid next.

The heater bricks were set on a slurry mix of 2 parts Kiln Dried Sand to 1 part NHL 2 Hydraulic lime. The Kiln Dried sand has a fine sized aggregate, which i used to allow a thin bed of mortar.
              Next step was set out and cut the reclaimed quarry tiles to cover the heater bricks and provide a cooking floor.
              A mix of metric and imperial sizes tried to cause problems, but a bit of jiggling about and a not too far off rustic "pre-loved" cooking floor was produced. Again laid on the Kiln Dried sand Lime mortar.

I ripped down an aerated block to Heater brick thickness for the vent floor, to isolate the heater bricks within the oven section, creating part of the thermal break. I've had to stop short of completing the vent floor until i complete the base brickworks.

Arch layout...I didn't like the full half brick arch that i originally set out, so got a bit creative with the angle grinder and produced some voissoirs.

A much better end result. So got to work laying the first course, and arch.

Bricks were laid on a 2 parts soft sand, 1 parts sharp sand to 1 part NHL 2 Hydraulic Lime.
              Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM. Reason: last line of text

Comment

And to bring this thread up to date, more rings have been added and this is where i'm up to as of 19th June!

[

I laid the ring courses on just a half bed towards the inner edge of the oven, and then wedged the bricks in place using small sections of quarry tile until the mortar set up. Removed the pinings, and then pointed the larger joints with a new mix of 3 parts sharp sand to 1 part NHL 2. Sharp sand over here has larger more angular particles which can be used for thicker joints as the resultant mortar is more able to withstand shrinkage cracking, creates a stronger mortar and doesn't slump as easily.
                Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM. Reason: last line of text

Comment

Bookemdanno,

Umm, you must older since I watch the original Hawaii-five-o too. Your build is progressing much faster than mine. Your courses seem to grow daily. Fun to watch your progress. As far as Hawaii, I can always visit for I like the four season of Utah and you don't get "rock" fever on the mainland.

Russell
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I'd better get a scoot on as you're starting to catch me up!! Looks very good

Comment

I'm not that speedy, i was just a bit slow in setting up my build diary on here.

Comment

Not a great deal more has been carried out, due to wet weather.

Trimmed up the arch, for the dome transition...

Laid a few more bricks in the chains...

And got creative with my jigsaw to make a form for the last few chains. The itool was a bit slow going for me.

I've spent the evening chopping up bricks for the next few chains, so i'll hopefully be close to closing the dome, this weekend.
                        Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Nice looking build McGarrett That is a fine arch! I wish my mortar joints were as uniform...

Comment

Moving on...

"George" provided a much swifter solution to brick laying but i didn't like the fact that i couldn't see inside, or point as i went like with the itool.
                            Maybe it would have been easier without the polythene i covered George in, but i couldn't risk too much water soaking into the woodwork. The old bricks are pretty thirsty. Closed the dome in an afternoon.

The final chain was tapered, and the keystone created and cut from two half bricks bonded with Hydraulic Lime Putty. This was along the principle of what the victorians used to build gauged brick lintels.
                            Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

The Keystone was finally dropped in and the larger outer joints filled and pinned with offcut wedges of brick until it was all tight. Then a little left over mortar smoothed over. 24 hours later, George was removed.

Quite messy, but the Hydraulic Lime mortar stays in the "green" stage a lot longer than Cement based mortars, which allowed most of the drool to be cut from the brick face with a pointing trowel. The head and shoulders in the oven pointing technique seemed to create a lot of fun with the kids pulling at my hairly legs!

Some of the joints became a little matched and over large, but mechanically i'm convinced it is sound. I hindsight, i'd taper cut more of the final chains. Maybe next time!

Either way, i'm very pleased with my rustic little dome and always stop for a peek! Things now move away from the oven for a while to clad the base and build some of the bbq area attached to the Oven.
                              Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X