Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.

Hi Xene,

What did you finally decide to do with the space under the counter? Your work looks wonderful, I hope that you had help moving those stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Xene View Post
      Since this is my thread, I can take it a bit off topic right? I got that counter poured and my arches built over the weekend - it was no small task! Those granite chunks are really heavy, and yes...I did it all by myself! HA! I had to show it off, I really like how it turned out. There is still brick left to fill in around those arches, but this is really starting to take on the look I was after - oh and a little acid will be needed to clean it all up in the end, but those are just little details.
      Very impressed Xene - that construction belongs in here:
      https://www.google.ie/search?q=viadu...w=1366&bih=625

BTW what "acid" product do you use for cleaning I got a bit to do myself
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

NIce touch with the granite blocks........
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been working with this granite for 3 years now, I've built up a little muscle over that time, but those arches were a test of my perseverance, that's for sure! It wasn't the weight of the stone that got me, it was working at that level, reminds me I'm not as young as I think I am!

I've got more pictures to share, so excited! Took the counter forms off today, couldn't wait the full week, which would be Wednesday, two days early, hope I'm not sorry (another of my weaker virtues is patience) but they look terrific, totally pleased with the outcome! Will be grinding them smooth later as they cure more.

These are 2 1/2 inches thick, and you can see in the pictures that the restaurant bins fit nicely in the hole we made in the middle. I'm still planning on storing wood under that work station, I just don't have another spot for it that makes sense. The bins will be stored and filled in the house and when we want to make pizza, taken outside and placed in the counter. I'm not fond of 'creatures' that will live under the counter in the wood, but I have a dog who will patrol for me, and I will clean the counters before we make pizza, so I'm hoping it will be just fine.

Left side next, then chimney.
          My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post

BTW what "acid" product do you use for cleaning I got a bit to do myself
            Thanks Amac! I haven't tried it yet,but I understand muriatic acid will take off mortar and concrete up to 1/4-inch thick. Luckily mine is just a thin film, it should clean up easily, at least from my understanding of how it works.

If it doesn't, I know a wire brush will do it too...but it is a lot of work (this I have experience with!)
            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Nice counter - I look forward to seeing how the grinding works out.
              Outside of this forum I must confess I've never hard of muriatric acid. A visit to wikipedia informs me that it is just another name for hydrochloric acid which I have heard of - but it is not very enlightening on what products it is included in, or can you just buy it in pure form over the counter?
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

That looks very nice. You can use muriatic to remove mortar, just be aware that is a 15% solution of hydrochloric acid, nasty stuff!

To clean masonry with it, begin by hosing down the area to be cleaned and the entire area around what is to be cleaned. Not damp, but soaked. Do not use power washing equipment. Fill a bucket with water and pour the muriatic into the water (always pour the acid into the water, not vice-versa) at a ratio of between 10 to 15 parts water to one part acid. Wear PVC gloves, long sleeves, and eye protection. Apply the solution to the damp wall and scrub with a plastic brush if required. Rinse heavily to dilute the flushed solution. Do not use muriatic on soft, absorptive brick or dry masonry of any sort.

Comment

Thanks for the rundown on the muriatic acid Tscarborough. The film I have going now is driving me a bit nuts, but I know if I clean it off before I'm done I'll have to do it again later too. Your description of using it cements (ha) my decision to wait. That is not a job to repeat unnecessarily!

I got my second counter poured over the weekend too, just thought I'd throw in a picture.
                  My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Xene,

It's better to use the acid sooner than later. While the mortar is still "green", it's a lot easier to remove. I also use a ratio of 50/50, I know it's overkill but I never take a knife to a gunfight. Clean the brick and hose it well.
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I've been building counters and bricking, bricking, bricking! I've got the base built up to support this chimney (finally!) I've attached a few shots to bring you all up to speed. My oven is artsy, not perfect...keep that in mind fellas.

We made pizza last week!! AND had NO problems with smoke venting - WOO HOO!!

Anyway, now I have an idea of how hot things get, a few questions about the actual chimney:
                      • Do I need a thermal (air) break between the entry arch and the surrounding/facing brick? I'm concerned about how much temperature regular mortar can take. My plan is to make the chimney block-style, I have the red brick arch already cut to face it and will build the rest up straight from there.

Recommendations on chimney insulation? Vermiculite in the air space between the facing bricks and the flue? Is that the best way to go? What kind of temps does the chimney see?

Thanks as always! This is getting fun now! I'm headed to the ceramics studio to make the vines and stems to decorate the dome tomorrow. Insulating blanket and stucco are just around the corner. I see the finish line - what a summer!
                      My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Okay, I am just going to say it outright: I hate the chimney! I'd build another dome in a heartbeat, but deliver me from this chimney!

I have worked around it until it is nearly the last thing I have left to do. So I finally jumped in and just started bricking it...It has been a jig-saw puzzle to cut! (See my new pictures here, this arch tapers out from my base in order to get enough clearance for a thermal break against the flue - nearly killed me!) Still working it out obviously...

I'm planning on 3-inches of ceramic blanket, 10:1 vermicrete mix over that and then stucco and handmade tile (made those at our local ceramics center, vines and leaves to embed in the stucco - fired to vitreous.) Where the stucco/vermicrete meet the brick chimney, should I use any special sealant?

I'm concerned with the extremes in our freeze and thaw cycle here (really harsh in this section of Iowa) and if the best choice is Stuc-O-Flex Elastomeric Acrylic finish, has anyone have experience with this product? Recommendations in another direction?
                        My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

if it's bothering you that much, don't have a chimney! In my experience it's not really necessary, as long as you don't mind a bit of smoke in your eyes....

Comment

So excited, I finished the chimney! I am very pleased with the proportions, it was not my favorite part of this build to be sure, but I jumped in and just pushed on to get it done. It does have a very impressive result however!

No insulation in there, and it will need a cap of some sort, but I've just got a final layer of stucco to go! Once I got the first two layers of stucco around the backside I could see how it sealed it all up, I'm no longer too concerned with our weather. Hooray!
                            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

That looks fantastic - impressive work!
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les! I did that weird brick work to hide my less than perfect masonry skill, and I think it worked well! I knew I couldn't pull off perfect, but equally uneven and unlevel I can handle!
                                My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X