Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used the Powder left over from cutting firebrick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used the Powder left over from cutting firebrick?

Well I am about to close in My dome. I Have been using the fine Sand, lime, fireclay, and portland cement as the reciepe calls for...However, I left my wet saw sit for about a month ( after cutting several firebricks.) All of the water evaporated and I was left with a Fire Clay Powder. Could this med. duty firebrick powder be of any use on the build? I have about 4 cups of it.

Re: Has anyone used the Powder left over from cutting firebrick?

Originally posted by summerj View Post
    Well I am about to close in My dome. I Have been using the fine Sand, lime, fireclay, and portland cement as the reciepe calls for...However, I left my wet saw sit for about a month ( after cutting several firebricks.) All of the water evaporated and I was left with a Fire Clay Powder. Could this med. duty firebrick powder be of any use on the build? I have about 4 cups of it.
    A lot of us have. This is how I reclaimed it.
    hope this helps.
    Last edited by Gulf; 08-26-2015, 10:31 AM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the thread.
      I am still unsure... IS this brick dust/ powder used instead of the fireclay when making the homebrew ?

Comment

I haven't been able to find fireclay in the bag locally. From what I have read though, it is one and the same.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

It is not the same chemically, but it performs the same.

Comment

Originally posted by summerj View Post
            Thanks for the thread.
            I am still unsure... IS this brick dust/ powder used instead of the fire clay when making the homebrew ?
            It could be used but if you have already bought a bag of fire clay, you have way more than you need. I ended up throwing the residue away and put a little of the bagged clay into my horseshoe pit (before the rest went into the trash). It's amazing how much you generate cutting the brick.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
            X