Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Looking good........
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Ps, some say that a soldier course needs buttressing .........Something to think about
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks KB.. That's the info I'm mulling over right now. Seen some posts where people say they need buttressing and the arguments about that in the posts. someone posted this link (sorry don't remember who right now sorry or I would have given the credit) concerning the science of arch/dome:

Auroville Earth Institute

So right now I'm toiling with that choice and also whether I want a flared entry or just do a straight one that allows a 1 inch reveal still. I know it should be easier to put the door on with a flared opening....but how hard could it be to just put a door in the enter through a "hallway that is larger in side and top dimensions by say 3/4 inch?

Comment

Originally posted by chirobuggy View Post
          So right now I'm toiling with that choice and also whether I want a flared entry or just do a straight one that allows a 1 inch reveal still. I know it should be easier to put the door on with a flared opening....but how hard could it be to just put a door in the enter through a "hallway that is larger in side and top dimensions by say 3/4 inch?
          I think that the reveal could be as great as the width of a full firebrick. That would give you all the room of a flare without the intimidation.

This one was notched to set partially over the inner arch to allow for a heat-break.

I didn't complete mine exactly as in the layout shown, but I still have the same amount of entry clearance.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

So got some done on the oven despite 106 temp. Thought i would do some mortar but didnt attempt in the heat. Did a lot of thinking though and got the soldiers cut. Now trying to wrap my head around the compound brick cutting. Need measurements for cutting bricks on first course with jcg31 or mrchipsters method posted. I get the idea but dont know where to place line for cut when setting up the jig for the first course.

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Well all...I planned on getting home and cutting the second chain (after the half soldiers..Yeah, I re=cut the soldiers from the previous pictures because I found that the height of the dome was a little higher than I wanted). But mid way through cutting the second course my HF saw pump stopped and I had to clean it. Ran out of day light.

I have not mortared any bricks yet because I have been shy about pulling the trigger on that one. I am gonna make myself pull that trigger on Thursday though and should be able to get the two courses mortared on top of the soldiers too.

Ill post some pictures soon though.

Comment

Chiro,

Place the pump in a separate bucket of clean water and it will not clog up like it will in the tray. Just need to extend the hose and put it in a Homer bucket and you are good.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I second Beehiver's method of putting the pump in a separate bucket with clean water. Your saw will go all day without clogging up provided that you keep adding clean water to the bucket!

Aceves

Comment

Also, just a little time and a little money on a cheap commode float valve will save you a lot of aggravation and time refilling that bucket .
                    Last edited by Gulf; 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

My saw just connects to the garden hose with an adjustment tap on the saw and a button on the handle to start the jet onto the blade. Doesn't use obscene volumes of water and has no blockage problems. The water from the tray can be caught and the fines settled out for later use.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks guys... I did look up some thread about the issue last night before I turned in. So today went to HD and got the supplies to use the fresh water setup. Cheap fix. The forum here is so great for that stuff.

SO tomorrow I am going to start in the morning with the mortar

should be good weather for it. I have been stressing about getting th mortar right (good and sticky yet fluid enough to get good coverage). I have two bags of Heatstop 50 that a buddy got me for free and went ahead and picked up the items needed for the Home Brew for the back fill on the soldiers and in case I dont have enough of the Heatstop to do the rest of the oven. Home Brew is cheap but can't beat 2 bags of Heatstop FREE! I check the local supplier and it is $150 a bag here!!! If I didnt get them free I would have done the oven with the Home Brew for sure without any reservation.

Pictures tomorrow.. Any advise on techniques for buttering the bricks I may not have seen?? I've forgotten more than I remember! ...I think...

Comment

Originally posted by chirobuggy View Post
                          I have two bags of Heatstop 50 that a buddy got me for free and went ahead and picked up the items needed for the Home Brew for the back fill on the soldiers and in case I dont have enough of the Heatstop to do the rest of the oven.
                          That's great! You can't beat free. It is about $90 a bag here and FYI, I have just the plug on the dome and the entire entry/vent left to do on my 42 inch and I'm guessing that I'm about a quarter or a third into my 4th bag of Heatstop.

I have no experience with the homebrew, but although pricey, the Heatstop has worked really well. It sticks and holds very quickly. I found that even on my upper courses, minimal support was needed after I moved the IT.
                          John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

John

Three bags isn't bad that what I estimated it would take me too. I have been watching your thread too I was surprised when you said that you did all the cutting during the cold months...thought that was awesome! I too began my stand in the fall (Nov) and finished it in three weekends but then had a bunch of family sports and stuff that kept me from working on it. I live in CA so I could have worked the winter months.

How much Heatstop did you mix up per course on the soldier course and then the following 3 courses or so?

Im getting ready to go outside right now and mix up a batch of heatstop for the soldiers now...wish me luck

Comment

Sorry John, I read that wrong your on the fourth bag...got it! thats still good. Your oven looks great! Nice and level good lines and stagger. I feel lkie when i make and "adjustment brick" to avoid vertical lines, that I end up jacking up other bricks along the way sometimes I have to take a third off of two bricks and then make a brick to go between those....makes my head hurt.

I found out real fast that you can be good with geometry and equations but when you have to apply it to a brick in the real world its not so easy

Comment

well the mortaring has begun!!

gonna have to trim some off of the last brick at the end though...that 1/6 of an inch or less of mortar making its way up to the front of the brick face is adding up as I get around to the circumference. didnt expect it to move the line by that much but shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X