After months of looking at these forums and several weeks of waiting for the right time, I finally started excavating for my oven.

A month ago, we moved from an apartment in California to a big old house that we bought in Washington DC. I had deluded myself into thinking that maybe I would start working on oven during the three weeks we had here before I started work at the new job, but the old house had old house problems, and there were walls to be painted and appliances to fix and all manner of other chores.

But! Now things have settled a bit, and I get to start digging. I've never been quite so excited to dig a hole in the ground...

I'm planning to do a 36" Pompeii, with an extra 48" of counter on the right side of the block stand. I posted some Sketchup drawings here in a previous thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...ans-17797.html. I decided to switch the counter and oven compared to those pictures.

I've attached pictures of the spot before, and after my little bit of digging this afternoon. I'd have gotten farther, but realized an hour in that I was coming down with a cold and really ought to go lie down...

Before:

After(ish)