Floor under or inside dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor under or inside dome?

Getting ready to start building oven floor and dome - could use some advice from experienced hands. In reading the instructions it look like option is to build floor inside dome walls or under dome walls. As described, building inside the dome allows for replacing damaged bricks but requires more cutting. Most of the pictures look like the floor is built and then the walls are built.

Just looked at photos from an oven building workshop and it looks like they started the walls with a couple of courses then built the floor inside the existing walls. That procedure seems like it would make it easier to fit the floor inside the walls and make everything work together better.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason for building the floor first and them starting to build the walls?
    Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Re: Floor under or inside dome?

Rob,

I laid out the brick and then drew the diameter - it was pretty easy to cut them. Then it was just a matter of building the dome around it. I would think it would be more difficult to cut the floor in after the walls were built.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

While I certainly agree with Les's (sp?) idea......I think cutting the floor in after the dome would make it easier to replace the floor (or parts of) if necessary....
      Two options...take yer' pick...

Comment

Buckey,

I can easily replace my floor - it is not attached to the dome whatsoever. The dome was built around the floor.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I second with Les. I have not seen any incidents on this forum where changing out a brick in the floor was a common occurance to have to plan for, IMHO.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Floor inside or under the dome, I really doubt that you will ever have to change a floor brick unless you run a furnace or kiln.

Under, inside, potato, potato.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It's easier to draw out out and cut a circle when you don't have the constraints of the walls to scribe or butt up to.

I'd say potato/potato, its a personal thing. My oven used different materials for floor and dome so i'd say that was the deciding factor in making the floor fir inside the dome. Then through experience of circle cutting i decided to cut and set the floor first, before proceeding with any chain building.

Comment

You try it! No, you try it! I know, lets give it to Robpriddy, he likes everything! Sorry, it made me think of an old TV, cereal ad.

Comment

Its 4 in the morning and I S&F my bread dough.

Comment

Working...
                  X