Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor insulation question

Bummer,
    I think the fiberboard I got for my build is the wrong material. It is compressible and not very rigid. I am curious if Insulating Fire Brick, "IFB", can be used for floor insulation? Seems I saw something about using it under the floor is OK. But can't find it now. Any opinions or thoughts about using IFB for that purpose. I can get them for $28.50 per case of 10.

Re: Floor insulation question

Vermicrete has the same insulation properties as IFB, only cheaper. You'll need twice the depth of vermicrete/IFB as fiber-board to get the same insulation value. Get the proper board if you can. Try Harbison Walker (anhrefractories.com) in Dallas. A number of builders have used their Insboard 19.

Dallas, TX 214-330-9243 214-330-6085 Renee Fouts
    4585 Mint Way Willie Edwards
    Dallas, TX 75236 Joe Lloyd

Comment

Thanks Gianni, I'll give them a call first thing in am. I have been to their web site and did not get much info out of it.

Comment

Harbison Walker did not work out, their minimum order is over $600. Ill keep looking.

Comment

I purchased FB board from our host and had it shipped to Texas. Tscarborough in Austin may have a source, check with him.
          Good luck, finding the right material is one of the challenges of building the WFO correctly. Take your time and get the right stuff.
          Tracy
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Mucho Thanks to Texman!
            After a couple of person to person e-mails, I believe I do have the right insulation after all. Gave me a scare though.
            All the help available on this site is unbelievable. As soon as I mortar the first two brick together it will be my first two ever!

Thanks to all and especially Texman!

moT

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
              Vermicrete has the same insulation properties as IFB, only cheaper. You'll need twice the depth of vermicrete/IFB as fiber-board to get the same insulation value.
              So vermicrete really has half the insulating properties...
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It depends on how much cement it contains. The higher the cement content the higher the conductivity /lower the insulation value.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I updated the results of my vermicrete slab drying experiment which shows a water loss of some 75% over a four week period in uncovered, ideal drying conditions. Make of it what you will.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    So vermicrete really has half the insulating properties...
                    ceramic blanket K value (thermal conductivity) around 0.04 (av. between #6 and #8)
                    Vermicrete 4:1 K value 0.16
                    6:1 0.12
                    8:1 0.09
                    Vermiculite alone 0.06
                    Perlite alone 0.03
                    So yes blanket is about twice as good as 10:1 vermicrete, although the values change a bit with increased temp.
                    Also note that perlite is a superior insulator on its own, although combined with cement expect the values to be much the same as vermicrete.

Sorry the table was nice and neat until I hit the submit button and it's jumbled it up.
                    Last edited by david s; 09-28-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X