42" Inch WFO with 24 inch dome height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Inch WFO with 24 inch dome height

I am almost finished with my pizzza oven construction, and I have realized I am going to be at a 24 dome height with a 12.5 inch door height.

Should I fire and see what happens, or make design changes (i.e. raise the door height or other) before that?

Thx

Re: 42" Inch WFO with 24 inch dome height

I think you will find that your oven will work fine. I altered the design of my oven when building one for a friend who wanted more height. By raising the dome height around 15% and also the door height a little I was expecting the oven to perform differently. There is no perceptible difference in the way it operates that we could tell, fires the same, cooks the same, fuel usage the same. Your door height would seem to be too low, but there seems to be plenty of leeway as your diameter and therefore oven volume is not increased drastically.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That is very comforting to me to hear. Thank you for your insight.

Comment

Phxdt

I made a bigger mistake i made mine 26.5 with a 12.5 door... I was going to try to fix it but had positive feedback so I left it alone. I hit a white oven in about 1.5 hrs ( not sure if that's good or in the ball park?) but pizzas turn out great... no issues with other foods and breads. all good.

Mark
        Last edited by MAD1; 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAD1 View Post
          Phxdt
          I hit a white oven in about 1.5 hrs ( not sure if that's good or in the ball park?)
          Pretty much the average as far as I can tell?

Comment

great, thanks guys.

Comment

Phxdt

I made a bigger mistake i made mine 26.5 with a 12.5 door... I was going to try to fix it but had positive feedback so I left it alone. I hit a white oven in about 1.5 hrs ( not sure if that's good or in the ball park?) but pizzas turn out great... no issues with other foods and breads. all good.

Mark
              You need to stuff the legs in too otherwise they will be a little rare.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Hi Chip,

I'm confused. What legs, needs stuffing in?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                  Hi Chip,

I'm confused. What legs, needs stuffing in?
                  Look at picture one of post 4 above by MAD1.

A joke is not good if it needs explanation but here we go, MAD1 refers to cooking other food in his oven and it is "all good" In the photo MAD1 is in the process of building his oven and someone is sticking legs out working on the oven build, it looks like he is cooking someone in his oven but in order to get the legs cooked he should have them inside the firebox or they will not get cooked or they will be rare - underdone. My attempt at humor lost again to the heavens.

Chip
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM.
                  Chip

Comment

hehehehehe, SORRY, Chip! I've been inhaling to much smoke from my oven! I reread everything twice, My mind was going, what, what???? heheheheh, I still can"t stop laughing from your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                      hehehehehe, SORRY, Chip! I've been inhaling to much smoke from my oven! I reread everything twice, My mind was going, what, what???? heheheheh, I still can"t stop laughing from your reply.
                      Laurentius,

Glad it worked for someone, I showed this to my wife and all I got was a reaction similar to your first response. I think my mind works in an alternate plane sometimes -- at least that is what she tells me.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

As I like to tell everyone... the breast may be done but the legs have a while to go!

This is my father-in-law who helped me build my oven. Great guy!
                        Last edited by MAD1; 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

As I like to tell everyone... the breast may be done but the legs have a while to go!

This is my father-in-law who helped me build my oven. Great guy!
                          Very creative use of a pool float for cushioning. I remember that phase of the oven build. I swore I would never climb in there again. And I couldn't even get much more than my shoulders into the dome.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	478628_3791185214614_805646578_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	291980
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks, for the visual aid. Sometimes my wife starts giving me random information from conversations from weeks ago, but now after 14 years of being together, My 1's and 0's can compute in nanoseconds, instead of falling in the WTF mode.

Comment

Working...
                            X