Need design advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need design advice please

I am moving into a new house and plan on building a 36" Pompei. I have been trolling FB site for years and last year I built a "temporary" barrel vault oven that worked but was awful at retaining heat due to all the gaps and minimum mortar used. What was great is that I was able to disassemble it in 25 minutes and move the bricks to the new house. What I need from the Forum today is some design advice. The house I am moving to has an outdoor BBQ/fireplace that I want to incorporate into the oven design. I was thinking to use it as the chimney for the oven. My question to you is: will convection still be efficient if I have air coming in the front AND exiting out the back, or will the hot air be lost through the chimney? If it is an acceptable installation option, where should I place the exhaust opening to the chimney, and any advice on how to join the pompei oven to the existing oven to be used as a chimney? Thank you for any advice.
    [IMG]
    _DSC3252 by erikschneider5, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: Need design advice please

seems like this got buried. I contemplated this same situation with a friend and concluded there is no way to encompass the existing chimney into a new WFO build.

Comment

I have seen ovens that use what is called a "beaver tail" chimney design - where the flue curves back over the top of the oven. You could probably rig something like that up to make it work. Aesthetics may be another issue - but I imagine you could probably use stucco to make it look pretty good

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/b...one-14918.html
      Click image for larger version

Name:	oven86.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	292371
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I had thought about that chimney design, but hadn't seen it done before, Thanks. I wonder if I can use metal exhaust pipe with bends to exit in chimney?

Comment

Please look to the huge 81" WFO build on this forum. That huge oven has a centered chimney like the oven you described.

It works great (according the owner who's using it as a commercial oven!!)

Kind regards,

Erwin

Comment

Personally, I dont think it is a good idea. The chinmey located in the rear will create a huge draw of air from the fromt opening, across your fire and out the back.....I dont think you will capture and retain much heat in your oven plus you will burn through a lot of wood.

Comment

I do like the beavertail design however....make sure your chimney opening is exta-large to account for extra flow-losses.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeppiper View Post
                Personally, I dont think it is a good idea. The chinmey located in the rear will create a huge draw of air from the fromt opening, across your fire and out the back.....I dont think you will capture and retain much heat in your oven plus you will burn through a lot of wood.
                Do a google for beaver tail chimney, the flue exit is located at the front of the oven.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                X