low cost wfo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: low cost wfo build

Unfortunately, burning hot-dipped galvanized coatings is also very toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      Unfortunately, burning hot-dipped galvanized coatings is also very toxic.
      They say make sure you get an ungalvanized I still do not think this is a good idea.

Comment

Aren't all metal garbage bins galvanized? Using a 44 gallon ungalvanized drum would be better.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

thanks guys for the input i'm starting a build thread over in pompeii oven construction. hopefully you guys will follow it and add your wisdom!!
          my build,
          http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com/thread/1209

my door,
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...oor-21345.html

Comment

Hi Keith, i've been on holiday.

I didn't use fireclay or cement, as i wanted a more traditional approach.
            I used a simple Hyraulic Lime mortar of 1 part NHL2: 1 part washed soft sand: 1 part washed sharp sand.
            I contacted a few lime mortar artisans and a local guy to me who built a pottery kiln from red brick and lime mortar, and all said that i should be fine. The old ovens were built this way!

I only had an issue with the Lime Render being too "young" to handle such a harsh winter for the UK and its popped off. So, that's a job to repair soon, along with a revised chimney. I'm looking forward to more oven work!!

Good luck with your build.

p.s. if you wanted fine joints internally then a fine sand alone would suffice, then prop the outer edge with a tile or piece of timber. Once the joint has firmed up, you could point up the outer, larger joint, with a sharp sand mix.

Many have also foregone the fireclay and to my knowledge have been fine.

The more irregular the grains of sand, the stronger the mortar, but needs a thicker bed.

Good luck with your build.

Comment

Working...
            X