Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I have replaced a granite floor in an oven entry that had crumbled, does that count?
    Absolutely, and it's information that I needed. My other thought was to use stainless but someone that done it mentioned that the steel curled. What would you recommend we use? I would love to have a surface I could wipe clean.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les, I have Granite in my entry for a couple of years and have not had issue and it is easy to keep clean. When I put it in it was replacing a soapstone entry that didn't relate in color to anything else in the oven let alone the patio. The granite has some red in it and that ties into the granite worktop.

I don't know that the Carson City winter, freeze thaw cycles, might not tear up the granite. I have no idea how it might do in this environment. How does granite do as a patio worktop in you area? Have you considered Soapstone in a single slab or bricks. Soapstone won't absorb water or grease and scratches are easy to sand out. As long as you have a small gap, heat break, between the oven floor and the entry you should be good. Either way you go, if you don't like it and or it starts to breakup, it's not such a large area to deal with.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,

Our winters can be fairly brutal. I know that granite is not recommended for an outside counter (that's why I used porcelain). But as you say, it is a small area and if the piece does go south, it's not that big of a deal. I understand soapstone stains and that's what I want to avoid.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Soapstone stains relative to the finish of the stone and this is a function of what you want and how you like it. Unfinished it's a dark gray and since it's non-porous keeping it clean is easy. It's relatively soft so it does scratch. The finishes are either mineral oil or wax both are a snap to apply and keep up. Also since soapstone is some portion of Serpentine and Talc, there is a wide variance in both hardness and color. The more homogenious the color and the darker the more serpentine the slab contains and the more durable.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Guys, I was thinking of granite as well. There is a place around here that I can get some dark blue/grey granite from which would go well with my color scheme. Some people say it doesn't hold up but like Chris said, It's not that hard to replace.

Comment

Just be sure to build it so that it is not hard to replace, i.e. make sure it is fitted into the entry, and loose or lightly secured. For a home oven granite will probably outlast you, but may spall in minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Just be sure to build it so that it is not hard to replace, i.e. make sure it is fitted into the entry, and loose or lightly secured. For a home oven granite will probably outlast you, but may spall in minutes.
                Ok, That sounds like a good idea.

Here are the pics as promised. We finished the dome and are now working on the vent arch. The sheet metal form worked a treat to the last row. Something I wished I would've paid more attention to is the staggering of the joints. I wasn't really aware how important it was until I was almost done. But from what I've read, it just means there will be a possibility of more cracks. It's really not as bad as it looks some places in the pics because of the way I cut the bricks until the 9nth row. They where angled one way and I changed the angle direction from row to row. In some places the joint position changes as much as 1" from one side to the other.
                Last edited by AaronTheGeek; 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Here's some pics of the finished arch. I think I might have gone overkill on the buttressing, but hey, It's better to have too much than not enough, right? The vent slot on top is 4x12". I found a 4x12" to 8" round sheet metal adapter at Menards that I will mount on top. The heat break will have ceramic braid on the inside 1" where the gap between the arch and the dome is 1/2". The bricks are tapered out from there to a 1" gap in which I will fit a 1" thick calsil collar. More pics on that later.

Comment

Nice work Aaron, the flue temps can get really hot so check and see if the sheet metal adapter can handle upwards of a 1000 degrees. You may want to protect the ceramic rope on the inside of the arch from reaching any food. Good for insulation, not so good around food. Good job, looking forward to seeing the move......
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      Nice work Aaron, the flue temps can get really hot so check and see if the sheet metal adapter can handle upwards of a 1000 degrees. You may want to protect the ceramic rope on the inside of the arch from reaching any food. Good for insulation, not so good around food. Good job, looking forward to seeing the move......
                      Thanks Russell, I'm looking forward to moving it too!

Does the flue really get that hot? I'm not worried about the adapter as much as sealing around the pipe coming through the roof. I wasn't planing on using insulated stove pipe($110 for 3'!). I took some readings on our wood stove vent pipe right above the stove while it was burning fairly hot, and the temps were around 425F. I found some high temp silicon rated at 600F that I was thinking of using. I also thought of getting some 10" stove pipe and making my own double wall flue. Any ideas on how to seal around a single walled stove pipe?
                      Last edited by AaronTheGeek; 12-19-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Aaron,

Here's a thread on chimney temps, I read another one somewhere indicating similar temps but can't seem to find it. Take it for what it is worth.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/s...html#post64193

Also here is a high temp caulk I used for my ceramic rope.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          Aaron,

Here's a thread on chimney temps, I read another one somewhere indicating similar temps but can't seem to find it. Take it for what it is worth.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/s...html#post64193

Also here is a high temp caulk I used for my ceramic rope.
                          Thanks again Russell. If you read down in that post you will see someone reported 120C flue temp with a 500C oven. The other guy must've measured wrong. I'll have to see if I can find some higher temp sealant around here like the stuff you used.

Comment

Here's a blurry pic of the Calsil collar in between the vent arch and the dome. I used a string to mark the radius, then cut it with a utility knife.

I got a 4'x25' roll of 1" Kaowool for a good price. It was enough for 3 layers 2' up the sides, and 2 layers on the top. I had some rockwool bats around left over from another project, so I put 2" of it on top giving me 4" total. I'll cover everything with vermiculite when I get the walls up.

Now for some steel studs!

~Aaron

Comment

Here's some progress pics. I finished the framing, and a friend in the roofing trade helped me install the standing seam roof. The standing seam panels were free leftovers from a job my friends company had. They have been sitting outside and therefore are dirty. I need to get up there and clean them.

The neat thing about the standing seam system is that the panels can be removed easily in a matter of minutes. Since I didn't put any kind of sheeting underneath them I will have easy access to the inside of the structure, making any future wiring and repairs a breeze.

~Aaron
                              Last edited by AaronTheGeek; 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I also got the landing cap and decorative arch poured. The mix was a little on the wet side and I'm hoping I won't have any cracking issues. I got the black melamine instead of white because it was on sale. I wouldn't recommend it though as marks were very hard to see. My boss has a variable speed polisher and diamond pads that I will be using to polish everything.

~Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X