Nice quality work.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      Nice quality work.
      Thanks Russell.

I am getting closer to stucco time. I am planning on using 2 1/4" coats of Quikwall SBC. Can someone tell me what the difference is between using flat and self-furring metal lath? I picked up some lath that is flat, but, according to some things I've read I should use the self furring stuff. I'm not planning on putting any tar paper behind the stucco if that makes any difference.

~Aaron

Comment

So to add to the above questions......Do I even need to use lath with SBC? I was thinking I would just put lath on the cement board and down a few inches below the top of the base(I'm not really worried about cracks below the top of the base). I read that lath is not recommended for two coat stucco applications. Can someone verify this? (Tscarborough?)

I want to minimize cracking and maximize water resistance without getting too involved. If I went with a regular stucco mix I would have to find white portland as white is the finished color I am going for.

~Aaron

Comment

Aaron, I used the quickwall on my oven (and other places) I used a lath on mine but that is only because i went directly over the insulation. I would not think it necessary to use any lath over cement board. If you can dry stack block and put this stuff on I think it will work just fine on cement board. To be sure you can run a test patch using some leftover board. Then test for how much abuse it will withstand.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
            Aaron, I used the quickwall on my oven (and other places) I used a lath on mine but that is only because i went directly over the insulation. I would not think it necessary to use any lath over cement board. If you can dry stack block and put this stuff on I think it will work just fine on cement board. To be sure you can run a test patch using some leftover board. Then test for how much abuse it will withstand.

Hope that helps.
            Thanks, I'm going to set the countertop and decorative arch today(pics to come), and tape the cement board seams with mesh tape and thinset. I'm throwing around the idea of putting 12" strips of lath on the corners.

Comment

That may not be a bad idea. Unlike block your structure could have some flex to it when you move it. So cracking in the corners is possible.

Comment

Some pics. This build has been a lot of fun. I'm going to miss it when it's done.

As you can see I made an ash slot despite the many advice/warnings against them on this board. One of the main reasons for doing so is that I have 6 sisters at home who love to bake, and I want the oven to be as easy to use as possible. I have an idea about how to make a cover for the slot when not in use that should keep it from ever being an inconvenience.

Comment

We got the SBC on last weekend. I'm hoping to get this baby moved over to my place in 4-5 days so I can get cooking finally! There will eventually be a trim piece around the bottom to hide the fork slots and improve the overall looks. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to finish of the wood storage opening. I might make doors or just trim it out with grey composite fascia board.

Comment

That's looking very nice Aaron. Good luck with the move.
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks, Les!

Here's a few pics of the door I made today. It's insulated with 2" of CalSil, and needs handles and something to plug the holes in the glass yet. I got the idea for the window from mrchipster.

~Aaron

Comment

Aaron,

Nice job with the polished concrete. I also am copying Mr. Chipster with his porthole idea. Found an old pyrex skillet cover just like Chipsters in a pile of pots my mom was sending to charity. I told her charity begins at home so I snagged it. As a caution, just check and make sure your fiber rope is food safe, some are not and you do not want to contaminate all the great pies that will be cooking soon.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well done. Everything looks great - especially your polished concrete. Good luck with the rest.
                          sigpic

Check out the link to my build and pictures here

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            Aaron,

Nice job with the polished concrete. I also am copying Mr. Chipster with his porthole idea. Found an old pyrex skillet cover just like Chipsters in a pile of pots my mom was sending to charity. I told her charity begins at home so I snagged it. As a caution, just check and make sure your fiber rope is food safe, some are not and you do not want to contaminate all the great pies that will be cooking soon.
                            Polishing the concrete was a lot of fun, and easier than I thought it would be. I'm just guessing that my lid is pyrex as it isn't marked. It looks like pyrex to me but there isn't any way of knowing for sure. If it melts I'll have to replace it with a piece of Neoceram. I'll check into the ceramic braid.

Originally posted by Outeniqua
                            Well done. Everything looks great - especially your polished concrete. Good luck with the rest.
                            Thanks! We're planning on moving the oven in the morning. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance.

~Aaron

Comment

My oven went for a ride today!! The forklift handled it fine though it was scary how much the forks flexed! Everything is fine after the move except for some hairline cracks in the SBC at almost every corner. Oh well, I guess I might just have to paint it when it warms up.

It will be interesting curing the oven with the temps around 1f tonight and 18f tomorrow. I'm using the Field Furnace curing method and I'm at 250F after 4 hrs. (I had a halogen lamp in the oven overnight that had it around 100 when we moved it) Hopefully I can stabilize at around 400 for the night.

The last photo shows where the oven is now in a temporary location. In the spring we will be pouring a new concrete patio next to the house with which the oven will be incorporated.

~Aaron

Comment

Hi Aaron,

Well done. Hope you have many happy days with family and friends around your ovens fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X