Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Hello,

I'm finally starting to build a WFO after thinking about it for a few years now. My problem is that I work all summer doing concrete work and don't have much time for extra projects until winter comes around. Winter around here is cold and obviously wet mortar would freeze in no time. But this winter I will be able to build one in a heated shop at my boss's place. He is about as much interested in it as I am so he helps out.

The idea is to build a semi-permanent oven that can be moved without too much trouble as my boss's place is about 5 miles away and there's a possibility that I might want to take it to another place some day. After playing around with ideas for the base we decided to make one out of concrete. I could have welded something together out of steel, but we're concrete contractors so we decided to try something different.

You can see in the photos we poured the whole thing at once, the bottom, the sides and the top (something that's not possible without a wall vibrator) and believe me it's one solid concrete box now!
    We formed up the outside (59x70") with wood forms that we use in our trade and then built a box to fit inside with 2x4s and plywood siding scraps from a mini-barn shop nearby. The floor of the base is 6" thick on the edges and the side walls and ceiling are 4" thick.
    We put 2" of foam insulation on top of the inner box mostly for the purpose of keeping the wood from getting jammed inside the box when the concrete was hard.
    We put two pieces of steel C channel in the bottom to make slots for forks to be slid underneath to lift the oven. There is rebar bent all the way around and a couple of pieces on the bottom are welded to the C channel.

Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

We took the forms off a few days later and as I said before......It's one solid base. Ripping the forms out inside was not fun and took a lot of prying with a large pry-bar. It weighs around 4000 lbs now and according to my calculations the finished oven should weigh around 7000-7500 lbs. I have a friend that has a forklift rated at 9000 lbs so I should be fine.

Next step.....hearth insulation. I'm planning on picking it up today.
    I would like to glue the CaSi board down to keep it from sliding around. What kind of glue should I use? We use PL300 to glue foam insulation to concrete but I'm not sure if it will hold up to the heat.

Take care,
    Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
      We took the forms off a few days later and as I said before......It's one solid base. Ripping the forms out inside was not fun and took a lot of prying with a large pry-bar. It weighs around 4000 lbs now and according to my calculations the finished oven should weigh around 7000-7500 lbs. I have a friend that has a forklift rated at 9000 lbs so I should be fine.

Next step.....hearth insulation. I'm planning on picking it up today.
      I would like to glue the CaSi board down to keep it from sliding around. What kind of glue should I use? We use PL300 to glue foam insulation to concrete but I'm not sure if it will hold up to the heat.

Take care,
      Aaron
      I really don't think that it is going to "slide around", as long as you keep this baby level while transporting. I definately wouldn't use any type of glue or any substance that is petroleum based. If the finish on the slab is rough, that should be enough. The shere weight of the dome will keep it from shifting. If it would make you more comfortalble, place the calsil on a thin bed of mortar or thinset.
      Last edited by Gulf; 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Aaron,

That's some base, and it can double as a bomb shelter. Send pictures on the build. Looking forward to seeing it moved.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          I really don't think that it is going to "slide around", as long as you keep this baby level while transporting. I definately wouldn't use any type of glue or any substance that is petroleum based. If the finish on the slab is rough, that should be enough. The shere weight of the dome will keep it from shifting. If it would make you more comfortalble, place the calsil on a thin bed of mortar or thinset.
          Thanks. I'll pry use some mortar.

I picked up my firebricks today and upon close examination I found that the surface is covered with really tiny spider cracks. Is this normal? I need to get a pic to post.

Also I found some mortar at Menards called Medium-Duty Refractory Mortar by Akona for $55 for 50 lbs. The specs are here: Products | TCC Materials It's rated at 2550 F. Has anyone used this mortar before?

Comment

One more question.... I CaSi board I found is rated at 1200F. Will that work? from what I've read the oven will have the potential of getting that Hot.

Take care,
            Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
              One more question.... I CaSi board I found is rated at 1200F. Will that work? from what I've read the oven will have the potential of getting that Hot.

Take care,
              Aaron
              My understanding is that the apex of the dome may get somewhat hotter, but 1200F is within the max temp for the floor of a WFO (I think about 1100F). Maybe someone else can give you a true Pie-R-Square on the subject. I think that you will find from researching many of the builds on this site, that CalSil is OK for the floor.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Aaron,
                My gun only goes to approx 950 deg. and I have had it pegged. I used a product that was rated at 1900. With that said, I seriously doubt that the hearth is going to go much higher than 1200 (if it can). And even if it does, that is just the rating of the product - if it gets to 1201 it will not turn to ash. I would think you are good to use it. Some have set thermo couples into the hearth - it would be interesting to see their highest recorded temp's.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Aaron,

Karangi Dude has extensive floor temperature reading at various points. You can look on his thread but if I remember right, the temperature at the bottom of his floor brick was well under 1200 F.
                  Russell

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it!

Thanks for your help guys! You all have great builds and I've got a lot of info from reading your threads. Hopefully I can help others when I'm done.

I've started my "Sketchup" sketch on the base to kinda help visualize things. I've designed with 3D CAD professionally but, for some reason I don't feel like making a model of the oven. I think there's enough models and info on this forum to go by.

Attached are some pics of the fire brick I got. As you can see there are tiny cracks covering the surface. I'm hoping this is normal and not damage from freezing or something. (They were stored outside) I just don't want the surface popping out when they are heated. Anyone see anything like this before?

Comment

I don't want to be impatient but.....does anyone have anything to say about the bricks?? I can't really move ahead with the project until I know. Sorry if it's a stupid question but since I paid about $360 for them I don't really want to use them only to find that they are worthless later. After looking at some older fire brick I have and seeing a some of the same kind of cracks I'm beginning to think it's normal.

Comment

Your bricks are fine. Good to go, as they say.

Comment

Thanks! That's what I needed.

We got the CaSi board laid out. The box that the Board came in had 27 sq. ft.. Not enough for two layers but too much for just one. So, we cut a few of the 12" wide pieces in half (width wise) and then, with a hand saw and a jig we made, split them (thickness wise) into two 1" pieces. I think the extra inch of CaSi will make a difference in regards to heat retention.

I got my IT made too. It didn't take as long as I thought it would(1hr).

Sorry for the poor photos....I didn't have my camera and had to use my phone.

Comment

Aaron,

To give the warm fuzzies, here a picture of a brick I used in my build. Mine were stored in open storage for several years and I have had no issues. If you are really concerned, when you cut the brick in half for your dome you can place the cut side in. As for the floor, I still think you are okay. Check some of the brick that came from the inner portion of the pallet and if they are the same I would say that is the characteristic of the this particular brick. If they are better, save the better faced ones for the floor and use the others for the dome. IMO
                            Russell

Comment

Creative on splitting the CaSi..........I can't tell for sure from the pics but the center on the nut on the angle iron on your IT needs to be the center of you brick, ie 2.5" brick, center should be 1.25". Also take a grinder and taper the botton of the angle iron at 45 degrees, it will help with moving the IT after the brick is placed. Good luck
                              Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X