Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calcium Silicate board thickness

Originally posted by Salty View Post
    Sorry, I should have explained more. My build is going on a custom made steel cart. On top of that I have a 14 ga galvanized steel pan with welded reinforcements. This pan has been bolted to my cart and I will be filling it with the < 2" of concrete. My build blog is Mobile Oven in Oregon...I'll be updating it much more often now that I am further under way.
    To increase the strength of that thin concrete slab you can add fibres. There are all kinds, plastic ones should be fine, the slab will not get hot enough to melt them.You can also increase the strength substantially by using a super plasticiser and an ad mix, but you will need to do some research and go to a concrete supply merchant. By making the slab stronger you can then make it thinner and save a heap of weight.
    Last edited by david s; 01-15-2013, 03:54 AM. Reason: Thought of more
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Too late now.

But I still need to make my CalSil decision. I keep waffling whether to double up or not still.

Comment

2" of cal sil is approx equivalent to 4" vermicrete Both are considered adequate. Doubling is subject to the law of diminishing returns.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

so...I sucked it up and bought another 1.5" of CalSil to add to my floor insulation. I was reading the forum posting about what people would change if they did it again and way too many people said "add more floor insulation" for me to ignore it (sorry Al, better safe than sorry). I sourced it from a different location this time. Less than a mile from my work and the 1' x 3' x 1.5" boards were $19 each.

Also, I noticed they had boxes upon boxes of ceramic blanket lined up so I asked the guy if they might have some end cuts floating around that I could purchase. He laughed and said they had dumpsters full of the stuff. He said if I come back when his boss is around they will fill my truck with blanket scraps at no charge. Not too shabby.

Also, anybody know anything about transite? He said all the pizza shops around town buy it for their pizza stone. Its expensive stuff but he had a bunch of end cuts of that also.

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
            so...I sucked it up and bought another 1.5" of CalSil to add to my floor insulation. I was reading the forum posting about what people would change if they did it again and way too many people said "add more floor insulation" for me to ignore it (sorry Al, better safe than sorry)
            Personally I think you made the right call. Over insulating over, under, or on the sides will do no harm.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
            X