36" oven in Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" oven in Colorado Springs

Been researching WFPOs for almost a year now and watching the boards as well. Am looking to start building mine in a couple of months.
    Oven will mostly be used to make pizzas, but we?ll also venture to use it for other meals and breads.
    Cement patio was poured last summer.

My general ideas/goals:
    - base that?s 56? wide by 64? deep and 32? tall
    - 4? thick cement hearth, reinforced with rebar, tied into the base
    - 2? thick insulated hearth (vermiculite and cement)
    - 2? thick insulation boards, either Cal-Si boards or similar
    - 36? dome with 15.75? interior height, 10? high oven door (door width around 16?)
    - arches, vent and transition area TBD, but I have some ideas
    - 6? by 6? clay chimney flue (probably 24? tall)
    - 2-3? worth of insulation blanket around the dome
    - dome will be enclosed (probably brick surround), and the rest of the space filled with loose vermiculate (2-5? worth)
    - roof/finish design is TBD, probably with brick or some stone material (slate?)
    - black metal chimney cap
    - doors are TBD, will decided when I get there

I?m sure I?ll have questions and will try to keep everyone posted on progress.
    I?m very open to ideas and suggestions (methods, materials, specs) and ?did you think about this? type questions.

Thanks,
    Dana
    Colorado Springs, CO

Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

Dana,

Doug (Karangi Dude) gave me the same advice during my build so heed his advice. Here are some pics of the before and after results. #1 pic is original height, #2 pic is staining from original height, #3 pic is with an additional section of chimney, no staining.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Doug, Russell, thanks for the advice and I was on the fence between a 6x6 and 8x8 flue, was leaning towards 6x6 due to space, but will now go with the 8x8.

Thanks,
      Dana

Comment

Dana,
        With an 8" flue that would make your flue cross sectional area 30% of your oven opening. I believe most WFO are under flued, judging by the amount of staining on the front arches of many of them. There has been talk of having 10% of the door area as flue cross section. I think most ovens need way more than that to work well. In any case you can't really over flue a front vented oven. I think you are wise to go larger.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

How much vermiculite?

I'm going to make the insulation hearth (56" wide, 64" deep, and 2" thick) out of vermiculite and cement (then another 2" of ceramic board or similar on top of that).

The 36" dome will also be enclosed (probably with brick) with 2-3" worth of ceramic blanket directly around the dome, then loose vermiculite surrounding/filling in the top (3"-4" worth). I'm guessing the "space on the side or above the dome" that the vermiculite will take up is about 7-8 cubic ft?

A local guy on craigslist is selling 15lb bags (3 cubic feet) of coarse vermiculate for around $18-20 a piece, which seems like a good deal.

1. I've read that medium to coarse vermiculite is desirable, is that the case for both ways I intend to use it?
          2. How much to buy? Do you think 8-9 bags will be enough? Seems like a lot.

Thanks,
          Dana

Comment

The square form is not necesasary for a round dome.

It really does not take much bracing for a round form. Actually, none. The bracing on this was just a quick way to form the shape. Cutting the corners out will save some vcrete. The form only has to be a few inches wider that the footprint of your dome's firebrick.
            Given one more night, I can figure the amount of vermiculite and portland that you would need for the base and the dome. You can do a google for figuring the cubic inches of any shape and the conversion charts if you want to.
            Until then, night night, I get up at 3:00 AM .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I have some Vermiculite.. I called you..
              “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Your plan looks well researched - but IMO, the vermiculite fill over 3" of fiber blanket is redundant. There's no real heat loss through that much blanket. I would instead add another inch to the vermiculite on the hearth.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  The square form is not necesasary for a round dome.

It really does not take much bracing for a round form. Actually, none. The bracing on this was just a quick way to form the shape. Cutting the corners out will save some vcrete. The form only has to be a few inches wider that the footprint of your dome's firebrick.
                  Given one more night, I can figure the amount of vermiculite and portland that you would need for the base and the dome. You can do a google for figuring the cubic inches of any shape and the conversion charts if you want to.
                  Until then, night night, I get up at 3:00 AM .
                  Add around 20% as you get a reduction in volume when mixing.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    Your plan looks well researched - but IMO, the vermiculite fill over 3" of fiber blanket is redundant. There's no real heat loss through that much blanket. I would instead add another inch to the vermiculite on the hearth.
                    So you'd do 3" vermiculite/cement and 2" ca-si or ceramic fire board for the insulated hearth?

Comment

I think that 3" of CF board is ideal, and IIRC, there is some ratio of effectiveness for vermiculite to CF board. I think it's greater than 2:1 - so, yeah I'd go with 3" of vermiculite + 2" of the board if you can.

FWIW, I investigated the vermiculite fill in my oven house - but the readings I got off the blanket with my IR thermometer when the oven was cranking showed no heat loss. You'll be able to check that yourself as you cure.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

The build begins!

Some slight modification from the specs in the original post, based on comments received on here, thanks.

Here's the base.

Comment

Cement hearth form with rebar and the final cement hearth.

Comment

here's the patio that was poured last fall, fire pit will be located near by.

Comment

vermiculte hearth poured

Comment

Working...
                              X