36" oven in Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - between 1st and 2nd courses

Since it looks like I'll have plenty of fire brick to complete the oven, decided to cut small slivers to put between 1st and 2nd course.

Figured it would help with the shape and use less mortar. Am using HeatStop50, the 50 lb bags.

Comment

Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - more progress, 2nd course

got the 2nd course complete; well almost, just need to cut and shape the two bricks next to the arch walls.

Comment

Originally posted by CSpringsOven View Post
        got the 2nd course complete; well almost, just need to cut and shape the two bricks next to the arch walls.
        In the future cut the bricks that attach to the arch first and adjust the next 2-3 bricks it is much easier than trying to make a perfect brick next to the arch because it needs to be perfect on both sides if placed last.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

CS,

For aesthetic purposed, do the best alignment and brick spacing on the back half with adjustments in the front half. You never see the front half after the oven is done but people are always looking in the door towards the back of the dome. Also try stagger the vertical joints. A couple are getting close where the small brick is on the back half. This is one where you could of moved it towards the front half, out of sight out of mine. Good luck.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looking good CS,

You might want to consider revising your IT......Follow the my quote to my build look at the pictures you will see the cumulative effect of having the rod connecting to brick bracket on top of the brick as opposed to the center or bottom.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            KB,

I would be concerned about the cumulative affect the offset might cause in having the brick face perpendicular to the arc of the dome. Each course will be slightly off being tangent to the arch and by time you do several courses it may cause issues. Looks like the nuts are only tack on anyway, nothing a grinder won't take care of easily. Your choice.

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

PS. Thanks Utah for the advice, seeing is believing??. I will be modifieing the brick bracket.
            Last edited by kbartman; 05-20-2013, 05:58 PM.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build
            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
              In the future cut the bricks that attach to the arch first and adjust the next 2-3 bricks it is much easier than trying to make a perfect brick next to the arch because it needs to be perfect on both sides if placed last.

Chip
              Thanks and definitely a good point. I did this with the first course too, and was fairly easy to shape the last bricks with the wet saw and grinder. But once I start on the 3rd course I'll start near the arch.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                CS,

For aesthetic purposed, do the best alignment and brick spacing on the back half with adjustments in the front half. You never see the front half after the oven is done but people are always looking in the door towards the back of the dome. Also try stagger the vertical joints. A couple are getting close where the small brick is on the back half. This is one where you could of moved it towards the front half, out of sight out of mine. Good luck.
                Another great point and I was planning on it all along, till I got started on the 2nd course and was cruise along before I realized my joints were not staggered any more. Considered ripping up a couple but figured it wasn't too bad yet.

Comment

Looking good CS,

You might want to consider revising your IT......Follow the my quote to my build look at the pictures you will see the cumulative effect of having the rod connecting to brick bracket on top of the brick as opposed to the center or bottom.

Thanks. I reviewed your posts; were there any pics/results of the cumulative offset? I only saw a discussion about a possible cumulative effect.

Attached are some design pics that I've calculated out, having the offset at the bottom and the fact that the rod is attached to the top of the bracket.

The 2nd pic isn't the best descriptoin, but the intent of the "kickout on the bottom" is to angle the brick up a little more, to keep it on profile (as indicated by the dashed gray line in the first pic). The kickout angles are the red degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by CSpringsOven View Post
                    Thanks. I reviewed your posts; were there any pics/results of the cumulative offset? I only saw a discussion about a possible cumulative effect.
                    PS. Thanks Utah for the advice, seeing is believing??. I will be modifieing the brick bracket.
                    Cs,
                    Click on the little blue arrow in the quote next to my screen name, it will take you to the original post where you can review the pictures of the cumulative effect.
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Cs,
                      Click on the little blue arrow in the quote next to my screen name, it will take you to the original post where you can review the pictures of the cumulative effect.
                      Thanks for the clarification, you're referring to the pics attached? Did you create a dome with same radius and height, and not have an adjustable rod?

I'm using an IT that has an adjustable length rod, wouldn't that compensate for any offset needed, assuming the calculations are done right? (Like in the first diagram on my previous post, "lengths" are noted in the upprer right corner.)

Comment

CS,
                        I do have an adjustable rod and considered adjusting each course. After my simulation I had the pivot rod welded to the bottom of brick bracket. I have not had to adjust on any courses, I am on my seventh course. Yes I do have some offset; the oven has a 19.5" radius. The IT is sitting on 1" of plywood and has about a 1.5" offset from center of pivot point. My estimation is about 19" inside dome height.
                        Last edited by kbartman; 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM. Reason: added pics
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

CS,
                          I do have an adjustable rod and considered adjusting each course. After my simulation I had the pivot rod welded to the bottom of brick bracket. I have not had to adjust on any courses, I am on my seventh course. Yes I do have some offset; the oven has a 19.5" radius. The IT is sitting on 1" of plywood and has about a 1.5" offset from center of pivot point. My estimation is about 19" inside dome height.
                          kbartman, thanks for bringing the offset problem to my attention.

I think I have a solution. I'll still adjust my rod to get shorter as I move up the courses (as previously planned - see 1st pic), but I'll also adjust the bracket so it's attached to the rod at the end of the rod and "offset" at the corner of the brick by a distance commensurate for the offset angle needed (see 2nd pic).

Comment

Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - 3rd course complete

Memorial Day weekend brings some much needed time off and good weather.

I still need to work on my joint spacing, but I guess I just get excited that progress is being made before I realize joints are on top of each other. At least this one is off to the side and most people won't see it.

3rd course complete.

Comment

Dana, Looks good.. nobody will see those joints unless you show them .. which will be difficult..lol Keep going.. Great weather this weekend!
                              “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

I think you would need a mirror to show off that spacing, no way am I sticking my head that far in a hot oven just to see if things are perfect.
                                Chip
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X