36" oven in Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

I wouldn't worry at all about the different color bricks. Looks good if you ask me. I'm curious though... you light all that wood in your oven and you only reached 350 degrees? How long did you hold your previous temps?
    Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      Hey DJ,

On your natural gas BBQ did you get the orifice changed or drilled out for natural gas? I actually work for a natural gas company and yes propane burns hotter hence smaller orifice holes, natural gas require larger orifices to get the same BTU content. Most BBQs come with propane orifices stock. Just a thought.
      When I bought the grill it came in a propane version and natural gas (line) version. I bought the propane version and had a quallified tech hook it up and got it running, so I'm guess I'm good to go.

Thanks for the tip though.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        Hey DJ,

On your natural gas BBQ did you get the orifice changed or drilled out for natural gas? I actually work for a natural gas company and yes propane burns hotter hence smaller orifice holes, natural gas require larger orifices to get the same BTU content. Most BBQs come with propane orifices stock. Just a thought.
        The grill came set up for NG, so I did not have to change it out, but still find I can't get as hot as propane seems to get. Not sure why not. My brother's oven has the same problem. I bought an AOG - which is a pretty nice grill - but it doesn't sear like I think it should.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
          I wouldn't worry at all about the different color bricks. Looks good if you ask me. I'm curious though... you light all that wood in your oven and you only reached 350 degrees? How long did you hold your previous temps?

Thanks K79, I'm not worried about the color variation (unless it causes a problem). I asked the initial question as to why it happend, just curious about the science behind it, and if anyone else has seen that happen.

For the wood amount and temp question, I had to knock down the fire about half way into it because it was getting pretty big (prob used too much wood to start, but hey, I'm just experimenting) and didn't want it to get too hot. And the 350 deg was just an average, I might have had some hotter spots here and there, but guessed 350 was an avg.

How long was previous temp, for the 3rd burn (1st with real wood), it was still about 100 deg the next day, so I should have ample heat retention once I get her going. Will have to check tonight what temp the oven is still at.

Thanks for all input/tips.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            probably smart not to run natural gas to the grill. I spent hundreds of dollars having pipe run (it $$ a foot and you can't buy it unless you have a license) and the BBQ doesn't get as hot as propane does. Fortunately, I have a pizza oven right next to it that gets plenty hot!
            yeah, I didn't want to bother with cost and added difficulty (permits) with natural gas. plus I have the grill and side burner, so the odds both propane tanks run out at the same time is very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
              So for the burn that got up to about 350deg (avg), about 24 hours later the dome was a consistent 125 deg. That doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

Really like your oven and enjoying watching your progress. I'm curious what the dimensions of your clay chimney are?

Comment

Originally posted by broschb View Post
                  Really like your oven and enjoying watching your progress. I'm curious what the dimensions of your clay chimney are?
                  Thanks. It's a standard 8" x 8" flue and the walls are 0.75" thick. So the outer dimensions are the 8" x 8" which makes the "inside" dimenions 6.5" by 6.5"

If anyone else has questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

• Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (Curing Fires)

I know it?s been awhile since I?ve posted, but have no fear, progress has been made and we?ll be enjoying great pizzas in no time.

I was gone for a couple of weeks doing some Navy Reserve work, just north of Los Angeles. While I was gone the mason finished the brick work, and since I?ve been back, have been firing the oven. The attached pic is from last night, curing #7 and I got the oven up to about 750 degs. I'm guessing the picture was at about the 40 min point.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE I?M ON THE RIGHT PATH/PROCESS:
                    For this 7th firing, I used seven logs that were about 2? diameter and two bigger ones (on top) about 4? in diameter (plus kindling and a little paper). After about 1.5 hour of letting the pile burn (was a nice pile of embers at that time), the oven started getting white at about the top quarter and was about 750 degs. I?m guessing that if around the one hour point, if I through on 2-3 more logs that the temp will get up to about 900 deg and I?ll get the whole oven white?
                    Any suggestions/recommendations?

As I mentioned earlier, all the brick work is done, but no pics yet, as I want to wait till the roof is complete (yes, I know, building up the anticipation). Roof will be completed and installed this Friday, so expect some pictures then?.

Comment

On my oven, the top starts going white at about 900 degrees and then the "whiteness" gradually spreads down from the top to the floor. It takes about 30 minutes from "top whiteness" to "floor whiteness". It seems that once you reach a certain temperature you need to maintain that temperature - as opposed to trying to make it hotter. I do spread the embers from the center to the edges a bit to encourage "wall whiteness"!

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                        On my oven, the top starts going white at about 900 degrees and then the "whiteness" gradually spreads down from the top to the floor. It takes about 30 minutes from "top whiteness" to "floor whiteness". It seems that once you reach a certain temperature you need to maintain that temperature - as opposed to trying to make it hotter. I do spread the embers from the center to the edges a bit to encourage "wall whiteness"!

Thanks BoerW.
                        I let it continue after the 1.5 hour for another 30 mins, but not much happened, stayed about the same temp and didn't get any more "whiteness". Just the ember pile got smaller. Understand I might help the situation by spreading out the embers.

Understand all ovens are different (and wood types), how much wood do you use to get to 900 deg? and do you just put it all in at once?

Thanks, Dana

Comment

Your oven won't clear w/o flame. Once you get to embers, it is actually cooling. You need to have a good fire that is licking the ceiling with flame to clear it. Then you move it side to side to clear the edges.

Check out the chapter in "Art of Wood Fired Cooking" on lighting your oven and temperature management. It's the best resource I have found. The relevant chapter is available for free from Google books (page 20).

The Art of Wood-Fired Cooking - Andrea Mugnaini - Google Books
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                            Your oven won't clear w/o flame. Once you get to embers, it is actually cooling. You need to have a good fire that is licking the ceiling with flame to clear it. Then you move it side to side to clear the edges.

Check out the chapter in "Art of Wood Fired Cooking" on lighting your oven and temperature management. It's the best resource I have found. The relevant chapter is available for free from Google books (page 20).
                            Thanks DJ, great insight!

Comment

• Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (temp door)

finally was able to take some pics and get them posted.

i used one of the doors forums and added some cement boards to the front (with spacers) and bottom and sides. it's at least better than nothing, helps retain the heat fairly well.

Comment

• Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (fire pit)

some pics of the fire pit and seating walls

Comment

Working...
                                X