• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: Calcium silicate or ceramic fiber board

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I used only 1 layer of 2" Thermo-Gold 12 over 4" of vcrete. I did not see any bubbles in mine either. But since you are going with 2 layers you should be fine. I am sure that you have thought of this but, (if not), run the splices of each layer opposite directions.

Yup, i will do that. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I used only 1 layer of 2" Thermo-Gold 12 over 4" of vcrete. I did not see any bubbles in mine either. But since you are going with 2 layers you should be fine. I am sure that you have thought of this but, (if not), run the splices of each layer opposite directions.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by rsandler View Post
    I used the same product (although mine were largely smoother than the one you showed. I went with 4", and have no complaint. The underside of my slab stays at ambient temperature even when the oven is going full bore. It is fairly porous--I found it impossible to put the standard fireclay-sand-water leveling mix between the insulation and my floor bricks because the CalSil instantly sucked any moisture out of the mix.

The picture only shows one board, hopefully the other 9 boards are better, i have not opened the box yet fully. So you were unsuccessful at leveling the brick? how about no using any water? would that help? Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

I used the same product (although mine were largely smoother than the one you showed. I went with 4", and have no complaint. The underside of my slab stays at ambient temperature even when the oven is going full bore. It is fairly porous--I found it impossible to put the standard fireclay-sand-water leveling mix between the insulation and my floor bricks because the CalSil instantly sucked any moisture out of the mix.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks guys, there is no turning back im using these.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    , Is that bad? Hopefully no water gets near it. Well its Cal sil and others have used these so i would think it should be ok?
    My cal sil board has no holes in it, but it is quite porous. I've seen some cal sil board that is completely waterproof though. Try pouring some water over it and see what happens. Either way it will still be quite ok for insulating under your floor. An alternative is to use vermicrete and that stuff is very water absorbant. Go ahead.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Only religious ppl have sins, I have no sins......

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Al,

It a sin to scare the timid! Be nice, its a new year.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    The stuff I bought didnt have the big holes in it like in your pic.
    I see, im going to double it, so 4inches, hope thats enough, dont know much about these but just hope i made the right choice

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

The stuff I bought didnt have the big holes in it like in your pic.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Its very porous.
    , Is that bad? Hopefully no water gets near it. Well its Cal sil and others have used these so i would think it should be ok?
    Last edited by V-wiz; 01-18-2013, 12:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Its very porous.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Here are some pictures from the warehouse that supplies industrial insulation. Pacific Insulation - Industrial Products - Pipe Insulation, Air Handling/HVAC, Industrial Insulation, Commercial Insulation, Insulation Fabrication. . Heavier than i thought they would be. Its pretty solid, Asbestos free and Made in USA.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Let us know when you get it.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ill be driving down to the supplier today to pick up the boards. maybe 10 boards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X