Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia

First post here people. Decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Been reading FB for over a year now and I tell you, some of you guys here are brilliant! With you guys behind me I cant fail!

Not a lot of time at the moment but you can see the progress from the photo's. I've no doubt I will have many questions over the next few months.

Looking forward to meeting you guys also (even if it is over the net).

Next week I will have more progress and I bet a few questions by then too.

Rickaroonie

Re: Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia

Welcome Rick,

You go all out on equipment, dump truck, mini ex, and a transit. Me I used a shovel, wheel barrel and and a eye level. . If you got Karangi Dude (Doug) on your side you are golden not only is he one of the pioneer builders but one of the top notch gourmet WFO cooks on the forum.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Karangi, been to Coffs many many times. Not a bad spot. As one of my hobbies is cooking, you may be up for a challange! lol

And Utah, those thar machines are what I do for a living. Nice to have when working on your own projects. I'm also lucky enough to have just about all the hand tools you can poke a stick at. My other hobbie is building stuff. So I have no excuses for failing with my oven.

I do have a question but a bit too hungover atm. Next week.

Take care all,

Rickaroonie

Comment

Ok, my very first question. I've only just started my oven base and haven't purchased any materials for the oven so far. People keep telling me to use just house bricks (no holes) as they are fired to 600 degrees. I've also read a few things here on FB but cant remember where the hell they are to go back to.

As I want to get this right from the start, does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this. Thinking about it, it makes some sense as I cant really imagine getting your oven that hot.

Rickaroonie

Comment

Thanks for that reply Karangi. Have decided to stick with the fire bricks. Better safe than sorry I reckon. Would hate to have problems down the road after so much time, effort and funds put into this project.

From the photo's below, I'm almost ready for the last 4 courses of blockwork and the floor slab for the oven to sit on. From the photo of the slab you see now, this is only the floor level of my pergola. It now gets built upon as if this slab was on the ground.

From my research, you can either pour vermiculite over your slab for insulation or FB board. One or the other as I understand it. It that correct? And if it is, which is better to use, cost wise and ease of use?

Comment

Hey Rick

You can get insulation bricks with the same dimensions as the fire bricks. Doug used them and I think they are a good alternative to board, vermiculite etc. The thickness would be approx 75mm.

Keep up the good work.
            Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Hi Doug,

Sorry about that, you are correct. My mind was thinking about something else.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I still dont know which is better to use. I did see somewhere someone placing splits in vermicrete. As I intend to do alot of bread, I was thinking of doing the same.
                As for oven base progress, been a bit busy with other things but have filled the cores before the final slab which I hope to complete this coming weekend.

Comment

Rickaroonie,

There are several ways to skin the cat. Bottom line, insulate as well as can with the dollars you have. I am just guessing but based on what I have seen other Aussie posters mentioning the premium cost of your fire brick let alone insulating fire brick, v-crete or CaSi board may be less costly alternative to insulating bricks. IMO
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Rick,

If bread is going to be a focus point, I would by all means go with the insulating bricks. I am regretting not adding a little more mass to my hearth which is well insulated with ceramic boards.

Comment

Thanks Utah and Laurentious, will look into the insulating firebrick.

Karangi Dude, funny how you mention fieldfurnace as I go down there tomorrow! Will ask about the 1.00 bricks.

Rickaroonie

Comment

Well, after the responses here about the insulating brick, I've decied to use them. Talked the the guys at Field Furnace and they mentioned the cheaper bricks Karangi. The guy said he would spend some time with me going over the different bricks so looking forward to the visit. Getting excited about the build now, especially after viewing your food photo's Karangi. Still, I reckon I could challange you in the cooking department. Although my favorite to cook is Thia and Chinese, I think I'll get the oven down pat pretty quick. Cant wait for the breads!
                        Will be back from Sydney Friday evening with the bricks, can't wait!

Rickaroonie

Comment

Looking forward to the build, loving the setting too!

Cheers,
                          Russell.
                          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Arrived back last night but drove through pooring rain all the way. And with a heavy box trailer, it was slow going the whole way home. Better safe than sorry as I always say. At least everything for the oven is here.

I did get those insulating bricks Karangi. I think for the underfloor, it cost 76 dollars, just over a dollar each. Pretty happy with that.

Because of the rain, nothing will be getting done for awhile now, DOH!!

I'm going to check out your link Oz, about the brick laying as I want to cover the besser blocks with brick. Thanks for that.

Rickaroonie

Comment

It really got wet. Finally the rains gave way to better weather and I was able to continue some progress. Built the formwork for the final slab and two friends helped with the concrete mixing. Sure save my back. Not as young and fit as I used to be.

I put in extra steel bar in this slab and made it 130mm thick. I think from reading here that it is wise to wait a week before building oven? Is that correct? I haven't removed the formwork from underneath the slab and will wait a week for that.

One of the photos shows a footing with bars sticking out. Pay no attention to that. It has nothing to do with the oven. But has to be done now so I can backfill and make the oven build easier. Otherwise the slab hieght is at eye level! A concrete pier now go's onto that footing.

I bagged the bottom half so I can water proof before backfilliing. Might get that done tomorrow. There will also be an ag drain just below the top edge of the bottom slab and backfilled with clean gravel to keep underground water away from structure. Notice I even beveled mortor just at the base. Overkill? Probably,but I can't help it.

Ok, back to it!!

Rickaroonie

Comment

Working...
                              X