Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

I like your base design Kurtloup!

And apparently they don't have scorpions in Japan.
    Killed 77 of them in our house in one calendar year and she who must be obeyed got stung on the butt! I did not laugh.......didn't breathe for a few minutes either!

Comment

They don't kill you but they hurt, and they hurt the dogs and cats even more. Scorpians and fireants must die, period.

Comment

I have no problem with your killing( it was what you were taught,99% of you have never been stung by a scorpian), but if someone else (especially a child) doesn't mind going the extra effort to capture and relocate the pest, and giving the reason (that it has the right to live), should be frighten into killing everything that can potentially cause us harm is wrong. If there's an infestation of any pest, most have to be destroyed and in some cases, such as honey bees, relocated. Do we want our children to have an innate fear of nature, that anything that can cause us harm, must be killed! Even the ancients taught avoidance, we can teach the children or in some cases let them teach us.

Comment

Originally posted by pdqtom View Post
          I like your base design Kurtloup!
          Thanks. I decided to deviate from the rectangle base. I think it makes the oven look not as massive.

Comment

This afternoon, I filled the blocks with concrete and rebar. I still have to fill the blocks under the oven. I ran out of time before it got dark.

Comment

Hi Kurt,

How large is your oven? It looks massive! That looks like a looong reach, to me, but it may be the camera angle?

Comment

It will have a 42" internal diameter. The end of the vent will be about 6-8" from the front. Too much landing? I used the 73" foundation width specified in the plans for a 42" oven, but I formed a 36.5" radius in the back. I made the foundation 115" deep to give me room to stand in front.

Comment

After work, I put in about an hour starting to frame the hearth. I hope to pour it this weekend.

Comment

Finished forming the hearth and pouring the hearth today.

Comment

Kurt,

Been watching your build, nice quality workmanship, outside the box base design, looking forward to seeing the oven build.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks. I hope to start on the oven soon. This morning, I drove to the place where I purchased the floor insulation so I could swap out what I bought for Thermo-Gold. No one was around. I even called yesterday to make sure they were open. That puts me a few days behind.

Comment

Added layout lines on the hearth today. Once I swap out floor insulation, I'll start on the oven.

Comment

Kurt,
                            I like the way you did your forms and the rounded base for your oven . I am not sure if it showed up, but I did enter a Like for that post. Since FB has changed the looks of the page, I sometimes see the like button but, most of the times NOT .

I am not sure if it is on the site's end or mine .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Got it. Thanks again on the lead for the insulation supplier.

Comment

Hey Kurtloup,

In Houston is an insulation supplier called KTRefractories. The lady that answers the phone is Jane and very friendly. They have good prices and more importantly cheap shipping since they are close to you.

Your build is looking great!

Comment

Working...
                                X