Share your crack stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Share your crack stories

Also, and I have said this before on this board. I am a professional in the industry, so I am limited to best practices on any advice I give. Crazy ideas might work, but unless I personally have done it, or it is considered an industry best practice, I will not recommend it. Obviously you (royal you) can do what you want, but you will not get anything else from me than best practices or personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      Also, and I have said this before on this board. I am a professional in the industry, so I am limited to best practices on any advice I give. Crazy ideas might work, but unless I personally have done it, or it is considered an industry best practice, I will not recommend it. Obviously you (royal you) can do what you want, but you will not get anything else from me than best practices or personal experience.
      X2..'nuff said.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Well.... that was interesting.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That's one way to put it.

Tscar, is that ladder wire you are using?

I am considering the use of banding on my current build. I have never used it before, even on the Neo domes with soldier courses, but I have some SS termination bar and SS Seismic wire that would work perfect....just for some extra reinforcement and because I have it. How did that Neo travel on your friends trailer? Any cracks?
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally Posted by wotavidone
            Can you assist? How does one de-register
            Just unregister from subscriptions, or, ask admin to unregister you.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

What a pity. Seems Mick has deleted all his posts on this thread and no longer wants to discuss. I enjoyed this discussion and his contributions. I now feel bad that I raised the initial doubt about the inherent weakness of using soldiers if it has produced a casualty.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David, nothing you said caused that. If we can't discuss and reason (like adults) even if we can't see each others point of view without attacking each others character and getting inflammatory, then that's a personal issue.

To the op, sorry this derailed the thread a bit...hopefully it goes back to crack stories.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Shit...........
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

It is 3/16" HDG ladder wire. The rebar is grouted into the concrete slab through the hearth, and the wire was pre-tensioned with the shims that center it.

To say that sailors/soldiers are inherently weaker is true. That is not an opinion, it is physics. They are, in this instance, also desirable, so the key is to be cognizant of the fact when they are used.

That oven did not crack on it's 200 mile journey, and still hasn't in use.

I hate to see anyone get mad and leave, especially over a discussion in which no one was right or wrong.

Comment

• Re: Share your crack stories

Oh yeah, a crack story. When I poured the water table around my oven, I was in a hurry to peel the forms to finish the edge, so about 3 hours after I poured it, I cracked off 4" of one corner. %$@#%&!!!!

Comment

Another crack story.
                        We went and stayed at my wifes brothers place for a few day for Easter, the ground is so dry after summer, he showed me a fence post that is traveling as the ground dries.
                        The reference point is a steel post that is concreted in to a corner of a large concrete slab.

The traveling post has moved about 50mm and has stayed perfectly vertical and plumb.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This is great information that is not found in the FB plans. I wish I started this discussion before starting my build or at least the first course. haha. I definitely can see how tying everything together may have prevented the crack How thick is the cladding on your ovens. I thought I read somewhere in this forum to limit the cladding/thermal mass and insulate, insulate and insulate. My cladding is only 1/4" to 1/2" thick. The thickness was determined by how much mortar remained in my bucket. Tscar, Do you continue the reinforced cladding over the top of the dome or just to reinforce the soldier course.

Comment

The whole dome is cladded, but it is thin (1/4") and not structural.

Comment

I haven't reinforced the cladding on any of the ovens I have built, but not because I think it won't work. My current oven will have a soldier course, so I think I'm going to try the SS banding just for some extra stability. I'm not going to bother with reinforcing the cladding though.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                                When I poured the water table around my oven, I was in a hurry to peel the forms to finish the edge, so about 3 hours after I poured it, I cracked off 4" of one corner...
                                I have my own trouble with water-table, casting too many pieces!
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X