39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

After a look around I came to the conclusion that no matter where I got it from blanket insulation is really expensive. A 7.32 meter length of 610mm by 25mm 128kg comes in at ?60 to ?70

So today i took a trip to a local refractory supplier who sold me some decent offcuts. I know you cannot over insulate but I bought too much... way too much. Well I thought I might as well fill the truck as it was so cheap.
    I came home with over 100kgs of 128kg density 25mm. I reckon that's about 8 7 meter rolls worth. For ?50!

If anyone wants a few boxes you are welcome to them. I am just a few miles off the A1 near Grantham.

I also got vermiculite to mix up for the base. Wondering how thick the base would be with 200 liters just casting under where the firebricks will be?

Next job is to make an adjustable jig for the saw.

Comment

Originally posted by andis View Post
      ...... I had a better idea and convinced the other other half that it would be a cheaper option to build an oven in the wall.
      You might have more to teach than learn with skills like that.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Halloo Andis!

There's a few WFOs that'll get built come the new springin the UK, so that Ceramic Blanky will more than pay for your oven.
        Think Ebay, Preloved or UKwoodfiredovenforum.

Love your work!

I used some Synthaprufe waterproofing solution over the top of my oven base before laying the insulation for the hearth layer just as a final precaution. I've not had much moisture creep in over winter but i got hammered by the frosts. My Lime Render wasn't cured off enough, so i just have the pleasure of doing it again this Spring!

In our UKs changeable weather, i think a period of building seasoning fires will always be needed after a winter lay off.

Good luck, and keep the photos flowing!

Comment

Bookemdanno -
          I was nervous about using a rubber type water block so near to such extreme heat. Didn't want tyre scented pizza!
          It obviously would have been okay as you have proved.

Really like your build. I wanted to build in some work surface but decided not to as I like the way my wall looks with the curves.

Firebricks not as expensive as I first thought. Got them down to ?1.18 each including vat. Had to pay 45p each for my reclaims so the cost difference wasn't that huge.

Comment

Hey Bookem,

Glad to see you are still around..............
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Andis, i really like your itool, but when you place it, make sure that if necessary you can reach the screws that set those Tee Hinges. From my experiences, you may find that your flaps will catch the brickwork when its time to remove it. A bit of dismantling may be needed. It should work fine!

Hey Russ! You made it though the winter okay then! I too suffered from the frost damage, in a more catastrophic way than your counter. When i can get out there, i'll add the repair footage to my build thread.

Comment

Had 200 Firebricks delivered today. That gives me a total of 260 plus a set of arch bricks. Let's hope it's enough.

Went to make a mrchipster style jig for the bench saw and encountered a problem.

My saw, not having a huge blade and having the motor mounted close on the right, looks like it will only be able to cut with the brick placed to the left.
                I may have to cut all the bricks in half, then taper one end of each, then reset the jig and taper the other ends.
                It looks like it won't even cut a brick in half in one cut but will need the brick flipping to complete the cut.

Unless someone has a better idea

I have not ruled out the possibility that I may be missing an obvious and simple solution having never used the saw before.

Comment

Depends on how tight you want your joints i suppose, but you could try a cut as deep as you can then use a bolster and hammer blow from the opposite side of the cut.
                  The outer edges of the bricks don't really need a clean face, and if your laying with mortar then any slight deviations can be lost. The inner face is all you'll see.

Sacrifice a few bricks if you have spares.

Other wise a second brick jig, which can be set as a mirror image of the other one may work? Especially if your able to remove the brick and transfer it easily.

Comment

Weather stopped play... Yet again. Winter decided it wanted to hang around for a bit longer which has kept temperatures below freezing and the oven base covered with snow until this week.

It reached a balmy 20 in the sun today so I grabbed my shorts and tanking slurry and headed out.

It states on the tub of powder that you can apply the slurry with a brush or trowel so I expected the mix to be a liquid. However according to the instructions the 25kg tub should be mixed with 5.7 to 6 litres of water. You can only mix up a little at a time as it goes off quickly and you shouldn't add more water to keep it workable. Even adding a bit more water than suggested still results in something that you could not apply with a brush - imagine trying to paint play-doh!

I have applied a first layer on a small area with a trowel (pics below) and will make sure it dries ok before doing the rest. Providing it looks okay tomorrow I shall give the rest of the inside and floor, and the outside of the back walls two coats.

If anyone else has used tanking slurry and can offer advice I would be grateful.

(I have no idea why photos I upload here via my BlackBerry PlayBook are turned on their side. I shall rotate them 90 degrees in the other direction next time and see if it's fooled into posting them correctly)
                    Last edited by andis; 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM.

Comment

That is one heck of a build you have started! That retaining wall looks like it took a ton of work. Keep the pics coming!

Comment

Brickie & Gulf -

I am considering going one step beyond your plastic sheet idea and also placing a 1mm aluminium (aluminum if you prefer ) sheet under the oven floor as an extra moisture barrier. Not 100% sure the plastic would stand the test of time but cannot see the metal ever reaching the 660C it would take to melt.
                        Any thoughts?

Capt - It has been a lot of work. Almost 50 meters of it and still a load more concrete to go. The Mrs is good with the mixer though and I've promised her a new shovel for her birthday.

Comment

Brickie & Gulf -

I am considering going one step beyond your plastic sheet idea and also placing a 1mm aluminium (aluminum if you prefer ) sheet under the oven floor as an extra moisture barrier. Not 100% sure the plastic would stand the test of time but cannot see the metal ever reaching the 660C it would take to melt.
                          Any thoughts?
                          Might better put a piece of plastic under and over the aluminum, then. The aluminum will not "stand the test of time if it is exposed to masonry" .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Brickie & Gulf -

Any thoughts?
                            I don't think Aluminium is a good choice. It has a tendency to react with lime and more so in the presence of heat and moisture. Water moving away from the heat will tend to hit the cooler metal barrier, condense and sit there. A better solution to prevent water wicking from the concrete base is to waterproof the base which it seems you have done.
                            Last edited by david s; 04-14-2013, 11:57 PM.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Vermiculite cast and board cut ready to go on top so it's time to start cutting the bricks..

The more I think about how the arch will meet the dome the more my head hurts!

If I start cutting the bottom arch bricks as marked in the photo will i make it all the way over without them becoming too thin where I cut in the taper to meet the dome?

No matter how much I look at others photos my head won't get around it. Arghhhh.

The good news is that my cat has passed the work so far after giving it a good looking over this morning.

Comment

Andis,

I used this link to another build to help k79 visualize how to make an arch similar to what you are doing to. I see you have an IT so take a look at this thread and posts around that area and it will help. Yell if you have any questions.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post119582
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X