39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

If you've got a small 4" grinder, you can nip off the angle when you're about 4 chains up anyway.
    This bit really had me, and the longer you look at it, the worse it seems!

Comment

Originally posted by andis View Post

No matter how much I look at others photos my head won't get around it. Arghhhh.
      Your arch template is way to far forwards, it needs to be pushed back into the oven further.
      The underside of the arch (top of your template) needs to meet the underside radius of the dome, there is a thread on this forum all about it.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Re: 38 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

Think I have got my head around the arch meets dome issue.

Started cutting today and am feeling much more confident. Going to cut the first few rows, the base and the arch before I start building. Would like to see it in front of me rather than jump straight in and have it go wrong.

Settled on 38" internal diameter as it suits my base and arch neatly.

Entrance arch will be 18 X 12 at dome, 19 X 12 1/2 at the chimney and 20 X 13 for the outer decorative arch. That will give me a 1/2" reveal for placing doors.

Chimney vent will be in the center of the full arch bricks. Need to calculate the vent size tonight.

If you spot any problems shout them out

Off to get a little more dusty.
        Last edited by andis; 06-13-2013, 07:31 AM.

Comment

There you go! Nice one! You're on your journey!

Just make sure that you've allowed enough room for insulation, and doubled up on any wall thicknesses in your calcs to allow for both sides.

...hope you can understand what i've typed...

p.s. i might be inclined to increase the reveal a bit if possible.

Comment

More cutting done - three rows and one arch.

Think one more row then I start with the muck.

Have cut the taper to remove the triangles on the inner dome by eye and it's all going ok so far.

I will look at increasing the reveal as suggested - 3/4? more like it?

Comment

Calcium silicate board in place and painted with a watered down homebrew to try and stop it soaking up too much English rain during the dome build.

Glad I have no more of that board to cut - boy is it brittle!
              Used the finest jigsaw blade and took it nice and slow.

An inch of board on 3 inches of vermiculite concrete mixed 5:1 should be just adequate. Don't want my oven floor any higher than it is, so that will have to do.

Comment

Floor going down on a fine mix of 50:50 fireclay and sand.

Rain stops play yet again. That's English summer for you.

Comment

Started with the muck. First chain almost done.

I am using the premixed stuff I have rather than homebrew and it is nice to work with. Smooth like wet peanut butter and sticky when on wet bricks.
                  The bricks get a wheelbarrow bath overnight to get as wet as possible before laying.

Pleased with the floor being pretty level. I could have messed about to get every brick perfect but it looks like it should work ok.

Concentrating on getting the inner face of the dome neat and clean. Not bothering too much with the tops and backs as they will never be seen.

Comment

Nice work, somewhere along the way you may have to make adjustments to your brick adjust them in the front 1/3 of the dome where one never sees them after you are done and cooking up a storm.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Do you mean make the adjustments for any teardrop effect at the front above the arch so they are not visable when I am finished?

Comment

Doing well, and a great start!!!

The fine nature of that ready made mortar is fine early on, and if your intending to cut trapezoid bricks and maintain fine joints. Otherwise, when the outer joints open up further up the dome, you may find it better to wedge the outer joint with tile, or timber and back fill with a coarser homebrew mix after the chain has set up and you can remove the wedges. The fine mortar will slump and crack.
                        And yes, you can end up with a teardrop type effect, like "the man" Russ mentioned.
                        Its only an aethestic problem, and you soon forget about most things that were "issues" during the build, like cracks that you can't get a finger into, non staggered joints, etc!

Comment

I've been collecting my cutting dust to make homebrew for the larger joints higher up the dome.

From the 2nd row up I shall be using the offcuts I have as wedges and and laying with homebrew.

Its a nice sunny morning so I shall try to get at least another full row on today inbetween other jobs.

The oven keeps getting relegated by other jobs. Repointing and a new throne for her in doors being the latest time eaters

Comment

Andis,

Could be tear drop adjustments or could be to keep the joints from lining up vertically, or from mortar creep (what look good during dry fit do not work as well when mortared), Bookem is right, it is a aesthetic thing but way not hide the booboos where no one can seem em.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have already got a joint line up on the second chain. Not going to worry if I get two together, just won't ever let 3 line up. It's good to make it look nice but at some point you have to remember that it's first purpose is to function as an oven, not win a beauty contest.

Comment

Originally posted by andis View Post
                                I have already got a joint line up on the second chain. Not going to worry if I get two together, just won't ever let 3 line up. It's good to make it look nice but at some point you have to remember that it's first purpose is to function as an oven, not win a beauty contest.
                                The purpose of staggering the joins is not for appearance, but strength.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X