X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Like some others on this forum:

1) I knew absolutely nothing about pizza ovens a few months ago
    2) I started out building a Vault type oven (based on a foam form) after I saw it at a building supplies store
    3) I decided to change my design part way though building the base and had to make some significant modifications
    4) I wish I had discovered this forum sooner!

I am now building a 32? Pompeii oven.

The base is almost complete ? pictures to follow. I originally started with a 36? wide base to accommodate the vault oven but I have now widened it to 53? ? which according to my calculations should accommodate a 32? oven plus 2? insulation plus an outer brick wall. (32+9+4+8=53) I know that 2? of insulation is barely enough ? so I will do 2? at the bottom but more than that as I get progressively higher.

I also had a front to back problem with the base size ? I originally only made it 50". I plan to address this in two ways:
    1) I added 8? to the back of the base
    2) I will make the front arch (in front of the chimney) flush with the front of the oven. That only gives me a tiny landing I know, but I have surface space on either side of the oven to ?stage? my pizzas.
    The interior height of the oven will be 16?. I am planning to make the front opening 10? x 16? with a slight arch.

My first forum question is:

For a 32" Pompeii, what size do you recommend I make my chimney opening? I have read many threads on this topic and can?t seem to find a consensus. I need to decide this soon as it determines the placement of my oven on the base.

Thanks!
    Neil

Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

6" in diam or the equivalent area in cross section if it's square or rectangular. You could go bigger, but don't go smaller.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David!

I will probably use a double walled flue because I need some height to get the smoke out of the garden - so I will plan on a rectangular to circular transition and ensure that the rectangular opening is larger in cross section

Comment

Here is a picture of my base so far. I can attach picture of the build to get to this point but I did nothing special that has not been done by all the other oven builders on this site!

As I said, I modifed the design to accomodate a 32" Pompeii (originally was going to build a Barrel/Vault)

Next step is to pour a bit of leveling compound on the slightly rough concrete surface, then put down 3" of CalSil Board, then start building the oven!
        Last edited by boerwarrior; 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

In order to check the measurements I cut a piece of OSB the size of the interior of the oven and you can see it's going to be a tight fit. I will however be able to get 2" of insulation around the oven at the bottom. I will use thermal blanket.

The surface wasn't completely level so I poured a thin layer of cement-based leveling compound on it. Probably overkill but I would rather start as level as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
            Here is a picture of my base so far. I can attach picture of the build to get to this point but I did nothing special that has not been done by all the other oven builders on this site!

As I said, I modifed the design to accomodate a 32" Pompeii (originally was going to build a Barrel/Vault)

Next step is to pour a bit of leveling compound on the slightly rough concrete surface, then put down 3" of CalSil Board, then start building the oven!
            I love the stand - looks fantastic.

Comment

Thanks Cheesesteak

wow, I just looked at your outdoor kitchen pictures - incredible! I hope mine is 1/10 as nice when I'm done!

Neil

Comment

Nice looking base sure your build will follow suit.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks UtahBeeHiver!

today I cut the floor bricks. Not nearly as accurate as many others on this forum but I think they will work. What gives me comfort are the numerous comments along the lines of "ash fills in the gaps" !

I haven't yet decided what I am going to do for the very front 5 inches. I may extend the firebrick all the way to the front or I might use the antique bricks for a narrow front landing. I will decide that later (but soon!)

Neil

Comment

QUESTION: About Thermocouples...

I have a fancy voltmeter that can read temperature from "K" thermocouples so I bought a couple of inexpensive high temperature (rated to 1800 degrees) thermocouples online. I tested them in my AGA oven and they seem to work great.

I'd like to place them in the firebrick so I can read the temperatures - especially in the beginning when I am learning how to use the oven and while the oven is still drying out.. Any suggestions where to place them?

I found a couple of references in the forum and it seems like placing one in the center floor brick (about 1 1/2 inches in from the bottom) and one in one of the bricks near the back of the dome would be good? Does this sound right?

Thanks! Neil

Comment

Depends on what you want to measure. I only put in two and I talked to Karangi Dude (he put in a number of TCs) and based on what I wanted to measure (brick saturation). I would look at his build because he has alot to temperature data. Here is where I placed mine base on recommendations from KD.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/wo...tml#post133700
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

After waiting a week for it to dry (it was a thin layer) I sealed the leveled surface with concrete sealer.

Next step is to place the Calcium Silicate Board (thanks gswarriors!) on top and lay the floor. I will lay the floor bricks on a thin, dry fireclay/sand mix.

QUESTION: I have heard that builders have issues with mortaring the soldier bricks to the CalSil Board because the board is so absorbent. I have seen a suggestion in this forum to "butter" (literally use butter or margarine) the board to prevent the CalSil soaking the water out of the mortar. What if I were to spray some high temperature (1200 degrees) paint on the edge (outer 5 inches only) of the board to slightly waterproof it before laying the solders? Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks
                        Neil

Comment

one of my concerns would be paint fumes but this thread seem to address that:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/o...umes-6213.html

I think I am going to try it....

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                            After waiting a week for it to dry (it was a thin layer) I sealed the leveled surface with concrete sealer.

Next step is to place the Calcium Silicate Board (thanks gswarriors!) on top and lay the floor. I will lay the floor bricks on a thin, dry fireclay/sand mix.

QUESTION: I have heard that builders have issues with mortaring the soldier bricks to the CalSil Board because the board is so absorbent. I have seen a suggestion in this forum to "butter" (literally use butter or margarine) the board to prevent the CalSil soaking the water out of the mortar. What if I were to spray some high temperature (1200 degrees) paint on the edge (outer 5 inches only) of the board to slightly waterproof it before laying the solders? Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks
                            Neil
                            I wouldn't mortar anything to the insulation board.

Comment

Really? So I should just mortar the soldiers together but not put any mortar underneath?

Comment

Working...
                              X