Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    still over 250 degrees - which is a night and day improvement over the non-insulated oven! Now I wonder what will happen when I put a a door on it...?
    You will be doing what I am doing. I made pizza on Saturday. I wanted to put a roast in to slow cook this morning - the oven is 300 degree's. I have the door off and I am hoping it will drop to something reasonable in a couple of hours. Heat management is difficult with these things.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les!

yes, I imagine it will take some time to 'learn' my oven and figure out the heat management. I consider myself somewhat of an expert with Weber charcoal grills - I can hold a constant temperature in my Weber to plus/minus 10 degrees for 8 hours! But I have been cooking on Webers for 25 years!

Comment

We had our first mini-pizza party on Saturday and it was a success! I heated the oven a bit more slowly than I have been doing and I got the top of the dome stabilized at about 950 degrees. The first pizza cooked too quickly but the remaining 5 were great. Very happy!

Then today I finally finished the flagstone patio in front of the oven. A bit of a challenge given that the temperatures this weekend were around 102 midday. (I know it was far worse for those of you in the southwest!) I also completed paving a separate area of the same flagstone in case you are wondering what the second picture is! Still need to pressure-wash and seal.

Any recommendations on a good sealer?

Neil

Comment

Any recommendations on a good sealer?

Neil
          Spill a lot of wine and olive oil. You did a fantastic job - looks awesome!
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Miracle makes a very good sealer and is reasonably priced. It looks like the stone was wet set, so you should wait at least a week before you seal it.
            Last edited by stonecutter; 07-01-2013, 04:57 AM.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks Les and Stonecutter

yes, it was wet set - so will definitely wait. I will look up the "Miracle" product.

But wine and olive oil sound good too!

Comment

very nice patio !! Nice when it all comes together isn't it.
                Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Thanks K79!

yes it does! you and I tracked each other pretty well there for a while - nice job!

I am tired now and I think I am going to take a break from building things for a while (that will probably last about a month) and enjoy some pizza parties. I have a long list of people I need to invite over!

Comment

I am tired now and I think I am going to take a break from building things for a while (that will probably last about a month) and enjoy some pizza parties. I have a long list of people I need to invite over!
                    You and me both !! Wife is already planning a flagstone walk around the house to the patio haha.

Comment

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DOOR MAKES!

I finally got around to building a door. I used two pieces of 16 gauge steel front and back, and then some 1 1/2 inch wide steel channel for the sides and floor. For the top piece I used a flat 1 1/2 inch bar that I curved to fit. Inside I put a piece of 1 1/2 inch ceramic fiber board that I had left over from the floor of my oven. My plan was to weld the whole thing closed - but I started using stainless steel sheet metal screws to "tack" it together - and found that they worked so well I may simply keep the screws. I used high temperature caulk to seals the cracks so that none of the insulation will leak out.

After cooking last night I put this door on. This morning, 13 hours later, the temperature of the walls and floor were still 550 degrees! Wow! Without the door I was down to 250 degrees after 12 hours.

Also the insulation in the door seems to work well - I can easily lift the door out with the handles without using gloves. The temperature of the front of the door is about 140 degrees.

Comment

Six days after firing and the interior temperature is still 165 degrees!

Comment

Is that awesome!! Good job.

Comment

Thanks K79! It's great to read everything on the forum and then see it all come to fruition eventually!

Comment

Labor Day Pizza Party...

went very well! We had 21 guests and cooked around 19 pizza's (I lost count!)

I started the fire at 3.00pm and we started cooking at around 6.30pm. For the last hour or so before cooking I stopped adding wood, pushed the coals to the sides, and let the temperature stabilize.

The oven was a little too hot for the first 2 pizzas. Pizzas 3-16 were perfect! Then the last few pizzas began to take a little longer to cook - but were still great!

In Mid-October we are having an even bigger party and I am going to try and cook about 50 pizzas. I will start the fire early and make sure my oven is well saturated with heat - and I will keep a lot of small pieces of oak at the ready to keep some small fires going at the sides and back.... Hope this will be enough to cook that many!

Comment

Glad t hear your party went well, Neil.

I have had a couple of smaller gatherings and it has been a lot of fun. Everyone loves the pizza and they have been fascinated by the oven.
                                John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Working...
                                X