Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fabricated my insulated door.

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    my goal was to try and keep some of the heat from escaping out the chimney.
    Thats the beauty of barrel ovens with the flue in the roof, close off the damper and retain the heat.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Oh i had no idea.. So what would then be the point of the draft door? I guess to speed up the heating and enlarge the fire then, my goal was to try and keep some of the heat from escaping out the chimney. "Scratching head"!!!
      Correct, The draft door enhances the flow of air to the bottom of the fire and I believe pushes the heat curve further back into the oven. It may not provide any more efficient burn because the fire will tend to burn hotter. There is some logic in it being able to reflect back radiant heat to the oven.
      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Thats the beauty of barrel ovens with the flue in the roof, close off the damper and retain the heat.
        I hear yaa, unfortunately i cant benefit from that.
        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          Correct, The draft door enhances the flow of air to the bottom of the fire and I believe pushes the heat curve further back into the oven. It may not provide any more efficient burn because the fire will tend to burn hotter. There is some logic in it being able to reflect back radiant heat to the oven.
          I see, thanks for the info.

Comment

V-wiz-

Sorry I did not mention earlier....I assumed you made your entrance the same way I did. I left two reveals in my entrance arch. One outside of the chimney and another inside the chimney. I use the firing door outside. That allowes the air to flow in the bottom and out the chimney. This does two things....1) reflects some of the heat that would escape out of the oven entrance back into the oven. 2) keeps smoke from coming out of the front of the oven (usually only need this at initial fire up). However, all is not lost....you can simply stand up your firing door without it being against a reveal....I do this sometimes when the door gets too hot.

I use the heat door (this is like a plug designed to hold the heat in after the fire is out). This one has to sit against the inner reveal and seal tight. Which means it is on the oven side of the chimney so no heat can escape.

Both are great doors but serve two different purposes. Hope that helps. Let me know if you want pics.....and don't be discouraged....your firing door will still work great.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I will try it out next time i fire the oven

Comment

Nice door. How thick was the metal that you used?

Comment

Honestly im not sure, about 3mm thick. Nothing fancy.

Comment

Hello

Are you happy with how your door operates?

I am about to build my door (mk2) and was thinking of doing something similar.

I have some CB left over. I am keen to really block the heat from escaping up my chimney on cool down and believe this may be the way to go!

Cheers

Bert
                    Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X