Irish Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Build

So got oven built last week, wont bore people with base construction as we all know a slab of concrete is not most exciting part.

Ok so i ordered 180 bricks for a 90cm or 36inch oven.

only used about 120 in total.

about 40 for floor (cut to fin inside walls)

and 80 for down ( i know i should have tapered bricks that way be better joints and would used more bricks)

all bonded with the home brew 4:1:1:1 mix

It started hammer down rain near end so foolishly rushed the last 3 chains and they look god dam awful

took time do part over the arch but looks awful. its insdide and wont be seen anyway more i know its there

left dry for 4 days under a tarp.

then had candles in it for 48 hours solid.

yesterday started curing with small fires but timber i think must have been damp as got lot smoke and soot inside.

Also fire got fairly hot 2 hours into it when i went for a walk and when came back there were lot cracks, 1 of which is leaking at the join between 2 cracks.

there then came few more that look be following brick joints.

also one over arch so not very please as fire must got very hot.

kept it going for 5 hours then left embers in it over night with door half blocked up to keep heat in and the cats out.

Re: Irish Build

here is the cracking

after 3 -4 hours steam and damp was evident around cracks but no smoke came out of them

seem sound hollow to tap.

also sonly one is smoking, the one marked in blue marker.

looks like its all around the area where the 3 last bad chains were

brick cracking going vertical is on the right hand side when look in door.

blue marker is directly at the rear top when look in door and other one is over arch

the circualar one is evident from top

Comment

i plan on wrapping it all in 3 iches of ceramic blanket (equiv to 6inch vermiculte concrete per fono build pdf) and the stucco it. i had planned build barrel tye oven thats why my base is too narrow and have try squeeze outer layer in, going to be tight though

red brick chimney will also be built in the front. but want dry all out and make sure its ok before go finishing it off

Comment

Originally posted by john_aero View Post
        i plan on wrapping it all in 3 iches of ceramic blanket (equiv to 6inch vermiculte concrete per fono build pdf) and the stucco it. i had planned build barrel tye oven thats why my base is too narrow and have try squeeze outer layer in, going to be tight though

red brick chimney will also be built in the front. but want dry all out and make sure its ok before go finishing it off
        Hi John, how many layers of ceramic blanket is that? I assume youre using the fibre blanket from dineen?

Comment

will be fitting 3 at weekend so works at about 3inch thickness

Comment

chimney done today

Comment

Originally posted by john_aero View Post
              chimney done today
              Looks great! Is that a BBQ off to the left or a prep surface for pizzas?

Comment

both there is a bbq on left and inbetween bbq and oven a prep area

Comment

I enjoyed reading about your build. Really some nice brick work. Keep the pics coming. Any different recipe for irish pizza?

Comment

I was usung home made black pudding chopped up with chili sauce

Comment

I made my first pizza's today; I will need to practice a bit but what a blast. I don't have any hair left on my arms though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	she is so pretty, pepperoni and red pepppers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	294882

Oh,hey Irish, a pic from my build. I'm sure there is something in the pic you'll like
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	time for a guiness.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	294883

Comment

Found few more cracks. I am on hols next week do so no cooking until i am back. Hope cement not falling off i side as some crumbled after got too hot

Lovely build pic like the black can

Comment

sorry to hear about the cracks. are you seeing any heat or smoke escaping through the cracks? maybe they are exterior superficial?

If no smoke or heat escaping, try to fill before you leave, the mortar will cure before you return, then go slow on your next firing.

Comment

well 1 area did leak so i routed them all out and then re filled them again. were tiny cracks but some were after pushing mortar out of joints as heat was too much

just got awful 2 days weather so lot rain got under the tarp i had over it.

need try get it waterproof when back

Comment

Working...
                            X