X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Nice job, getting close to plug time. Take some pics of your jig and post so future WFOers can see.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by Bert View Post
    John

All I can say is WOW!

It must have taken much time to prepare the dome for the mock up...but it seems that what you lost at preparation stage you gained with the actual build.

Very interesting and effective approach.
    All the best

Bert
    Thanks Bert!
    It absolutely took a lot of time but I learned a lot in the process. The learning was probably the biggest advantage and if I were to do another, I wouldn't mock it up. But it helped me understand the process long before actually applying any mortar. The biggest thing was my self-imposed deadline and knowing that without a lot of prep work during the long winter, there would be no way to get it done in time. Heck, it snowed a little here on May 11th!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    That looks great John!

That's a heck of a lot of brick cutting!! But I'm sure it will pay off!
    It was a lot of cutting but the jigs made it pretty easy. I started off with 36 bricks per course (full circle) and my plan was to cut each successive course to span from mid point to mid point of the bricks below. It worked pretty well for the first several courses, but as you know, a little creep in the bond eventually throws everything off. That, and I think in my initial calculations I failed to compensate for the elevation change on the outside of the course (about a half inch) between courses and my bricks were cut a little wide. This also contributed to joint width on the inside of the dome. Once the bond was off it required more on cutting 'on the fly'. I also, ended up reducing the number of bricks per course because of variations in joints etc. Like other builders, I have learned plenty that I would do differently if I were to build another.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

John

All I can say is WOW!

It must have taken much time to prepare the dome for the mock up...but it seems that what you lost at preparation stage you gained with the actual build.

Very interesting and effective approach.

Would love to see some pictures of inside the dome and your arch preparation.

Keep it up! Look forward to watching this build through to completion.

All the best

Bert

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

That looks great John!

That's a heck of a lot of brick cutting!! But I'm sure it will pay off!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Couple of photos of this weekend's progress. Finished courses 11 and 12. At least the courses are getting small enough to fit in the frame now.

I didn't get time to get pics last evening as a thunderstorm was moving in as I rushed to get the last few bricks in and I had to button things up rather quickly.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Tonight's progress. Completed course 10 and started 11.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Here's a couple of pics of my 'winter work' in the mock up stage.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Take a look at the attached not very attractive brickwork. The temperature of the bricks you can see is close to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit - and there are almost no cracks (as seen from the outside) that follow the vertical alignments.

Neil
    Actually, I think it looks very good. Don't sell yourself short.
    And, you have fire!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Originally posted by jbruning View Post
    Thanks Neil. I am finding, however, that it is getting more difficult to keep the vertical joints from aligning. The upper courses are requiring more frequent 'adjustment' bricks to keep on bond. Most of my oven was cut during the winter months and assembled dry inside so I could maximize my spring build time. But as I was doing so, I realized that some cuts would have to be made as I constructed. This became more evident in the higher courses so I made a few extra 'blanks' for each course to provide a starting point for my adjusting bricks. So far, the pre-build IMHO, has saved me a lot of time during assembly, AND it allowed me to think through some of the more complex geometry issues early on so as to not get bogged down too much now.
    For what it's worth, I did end up with quite a few close alignments (my brickwork is not nearly as good as yours!) - but now that I am making "full throttle" fires and I can see the cracks - what is interesting is that the cracks don't necessarily seem to follow the vertical seams! In fact my biggest crack (which at 1/8 inch is not too bad) follows a zigzag pattern in an area where I have some of the best brickwork! So I have come to the conclusion that cracks are to be expected and are somewhat random. With your quality brickwork I don't think you have to worry about some of your seams getting too close.

Take a look at the attached not very attractive brickwork. The temperature of the bricks you can see is close to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit - and there are almost no cracks (as seen from the outside) that follow the vertical alignments.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Originally posted by boylanta View Post
    John,
    Looks great.
    Nice progress.
    It's pretty satisfying to get a complete chain above the inner arch, isn't it?
    Yes, if you notice in my earlier photos, I avoided tying in the arch for a while as I placed the first few courses. It is nice to not have to deal with the more difficult cuts now and I was surprised and pleased at how well the course that cleared the arch ended up.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

looks great! nice job avoiding vertical seams!
    Thanks Neil. I am finding, however, that it is getting more difficult to keep the vertical joints from aligning. The upper courses are requiring more frequent 'adjustment' bricks to keep on bond. Most of my oven was cut during the winter months and assembled dry inside so I could maximize my spring build time. But as I was doing so, I realized that some cuts would have to be made as I constructed. This became more evident in the higher courses so I made a few extra 'blanks' for each course to provide a starting point for my adjusting bricks. So far, the pre-build IMHO, has saved me a lot of time during assembly, AND it allowed me to think through some of the more complex geometry issues early on so as to not get bogged down too much now.

Leave a comment:

• boylanta
    replied

John,
    Looks great.
    Nice progress.
    It's pretty satisfying to get a complete chain above the inner arch, isn't it?

You'll be lighting curing fires before you know it!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

looks great! nice job avoiding vertical seams!

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

I've been able to get some work done in the evenings after work this week. Tonight I was able to get about 2/3 of the tenth course complete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X