gianluca's 42" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gianluca's 42" oven build

I now started to cut my bricks for the floor after 2 days of debating on putting the floor on top or inside I've decided to cut for a inteior placement. I borrowed a friends dewalt 14" chop saw it did work well curious to see if anyone else used it before a few more hard cuts left. Question there are a few small corner pieces about 1/2 triangle size on the floor that i have not cut pieces for can i fill these with the brick dust or just use the home brew mix?
    Would there be an issue if I did not trim the ceramic board? can I just leave it extending from the exteior dome wall? Is there a purpose to trim or not to trim

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

Looking good! I assume you are using a proper respirator as that must create a lot of dust. I used a HF wet saw in my garage over the winter. I shrouded it and collected all of the mud and most of the mist, but even so the 'mist' left a fine layer of dust well beyond my work area. I also used a cartridge respirator because that brick dust is nasty stuff.

I am looking forward to your build.
    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Gian,

Wow, never would of thought you could of gotten those arc cuts with a dry chop saw. So good job. Were you planning on using a similar process on your dome? If you are enclosing the dome then there is no reason to trim the floor insulation. Those triangle are pretty small and towards the back. I would not mortar though, you want your floor to be able to expand and contract. As you build your dome, duct tape the edge between the floor and wall to keep mortar out of the gap between the two.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I started using a dust mask that lasted 1 minute I then switch to my dual cartridge paint respirator! The dust is crazy clouds all over it takes about 3 minutes for it to settle after each cut. I'm a little nervous about it getting all over my house and neighbors. It's all I have I already bought a cement mixer and a blade. The chop saw is sold at Home Depot it holds a 14" blade I was skeptical but it worked great ill just have to create a jig for the bevels. Good answer on the floor I was starting to get picky andwasthinking about readjusting the pattern to avoid. Funny no matter how much time you spend planning something's get overlooked

Comment

Finished up the last few cuts today not an east task with the chop saw but it worked!! With lots of patience of course and a couple of extra bricks

Comment

Ok ready to cut my ceramic board panels and I was wondering if butting pieces together is fine or should I create a lap joint. I'm assuming with a lap joint heat will not pass through to the hearth, also I am only using 1 layer of 2" ceramic board will this be sufficent?

I've purchased some bricks today and they offerd me 2 sizes 9x4.5 and 8x4.5 I went with the 9's just wondering if anyone else had to make a choice

Comment

Butting up is fine. 9s are more commonly used. Gives you 4.5" dome walls. I see you use PEP so be sure to use on ceramic board, it is nasty stuff.
              Russell

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. What's pep ?

Comment

typo, PPE - personal protection equipment,
                  Russell

Comment

I think he may have meant, PPE. Personal protective equipment ie a good respirator etc. The fiberboard is really nasty when you cut it.
                    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Oh!! Got it. Any info on my other question on layers of board I know more is better but at $300 I really can't afford another to double the thickness.

Comment

2" is standard FB plan specs. I guess it depends on how you want to use your oven. Pizza party or 3-4 day cooking and baking. You could add a vcrete or perlcrete layer first then your ceramic board. Kinda up to you and your cooking style. vcete/perlcrete is cheap.
                        Russell

Comment

Today I had some time to cut some bricks I started to work on the arch cuts. I definatly see some hard work in lining the arch with the dome

Comment

I am stuck as sure as many others in the past. When transitioning the dome to the arch it seems that my arch placement is to far outward in reality it only protrudes 1" from exterior OD I will be cutting the inner arch bricks to meet the dome am I supposed to be using full bricks for the arch instead of halfs so that the arch brick will travel inward as much as needed or should i just tear drop the dome and move on, if you look at my image you can see

Comment

It looks like you are using half brick for the arch. Why not use whole brick. Each course of the arch will protrude further in than the one below. My brick were 8" in length. I had to stagger the bond for the arch to get them to reach the inside curve of the dome. A 9" length brick works better. Adjust it now and you can avoid the tear drop .
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                              X