Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

thanks..

I have 4" of slab left I considered having a 8" arched slab for a counter I still need to cover the block so depending on veneer or full stone that would give me more counter space as far as the entry it is 10" deep it would have been a little wider with a angled entry as you can see in the pics no problem reaching inside the oven with a straight entry my vent opening is 6" deep and up to 15" wide.
    An angled entry would be nice but there was no way I would be able to cut the angled bricks without a wet saw my chop saw, I am not disappointed with the turnout at all go for the straight overall its 22" wide plenty to get in

Comment

looks great! And you'll never use a wooden peel to put a pizza in like that anyway. The nice thing about turning peels, they're a lot smaller
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I just came back from Home Depot 12"x12" 1200lbs load brackets are $9 a piece would 1 bracket on the middle of each side work or 1 on each arch??

Comment

Finished up the flue today I decided to go with an 8" round clay I also went back to home depot and bought those brackets they were definitely the way to go instead of fabricating them myself. I did measure out the square 8"clay flue but is was really a 6x6 id and I wanted to stay around the correct cubic inch space needed also any thing bigger than 9" would of encroached on the frt edge of the arch which is the fa?ade. I had wide to grind out the inner arch a bit to accept the round 8" opening which was 6" I had the room as my inner arch bricks were almost 8" long I then place a split brick on each side of the opening to close it up. tomorrow I am going to light some newspaper to see if it draws well. Is 24 hours enough dry time for the flue to start my first cure fire I plan on a 150 degree fire

Comment

So I started the first fire today I picked up a bag of natural bisqets they pretty much are half burnt pieces of wood...any ways its been lit since 10 am I plan on letting go until 7 or 8 pm then remove the pan for cooling i'll start it back up in the am.

I really need some help here I started to wrap the oven with the ceramic blanket and ran out really quick it's 1" thick I made 1 1/2 coats basically to get 3 " I need another box would loose vermiculite be just as good if I filled the entire enclosure or should I just put the order in now for the blanket

2' x 25' x 1" is the roll I purchased
            here are some pictures

Comment

Awesome! You've got fire
              John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
                So I started the first fire today I picked up a bag of natural bisqets they pretty much are half burnt pieces of wood...any ways its been lit since 10 am I plan on letting go until 7 or 8 pm then remove the pan for cooling i'll start it back up in the am.

I really need some help here I started to wrap the oven with the ceramic blanket and ran out really quick it's 1" thick I made 1 1/2 coats basically to get 3 " I need another box would loose vermiculite be just as good if I filled the entire enclosure or should I just put the order in now for the blanket

2' x 25' x 1" is the roll I purchased
                here are some pictures
                Congratulations on your first fire... Well done.
                Last edited by Steellearning; 07-21-2013, 10:05 PM.
                My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...way-19491.html

Comment

Depends on how much vermiculite would be covering the single area of CF. If you had 5-6" over that area you are probably okay. Were you going to fill the enclosure anyway with vermiculite or just doing it to adjust for the shortage of CF?
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I just ordered another roll of 8lb density blanket it's coming tomorrow shipped from NJ to CT that will make a total of 50 sq'. I will also filling the dome with loose vermiculite I have 8 cubic feet.

My second fire is lit I'm still using the royal oak charchol and a little bit of wood the first fire was at 150 for 10 hours this one I'm hoping to be at 250 for 6 hours it is supposed to rain later.

This morning when I took the tarp off the oven there was so much condensation under the tarp maybe a quart and a half I was amazed...I'm a little worried about the water on the ceramic blanket can the water damage the blanket? From what I read in prior post is that the blanket and board should not get wet

Comment

looking good, i was curious how you mounted the angle brackets? Did you just secure them to hearth or the hearth and brick?

Comment

Thanks, just the hearth with 3 tap con screws on the bottom of each the arch can hold the weight of the flue alone but I may lay brick around it I have 2 ideas to enclose so I prepared for both.

Comment

Is there a good formula mix for concrete counter tops I wanted to do my own maybe with some broken glass or quartz in the mix I do have all the sanding disc already from a previous job

Comment

I used concrete countertop premix which you can get at the big box stores, or others have used QK5000 with plasticizer. I would go to one of the concrete countertop forums if you want guidance on how to mix your own.

Be careful if you are using glass in your countertops. If it is not treated/washed correctly it can react with the concrete and cause problems.
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I used Quikcrete Countertop Mix I purchased at Home Depot. It worked fine. No need to add anything except water to the bag. Only thing I would change is add a bit of colorant to make the countertops darker. They came out lighter than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
                                Is there a good formula mix for concrete counter tops I wanted to do my own maybe with some broken glass or quartz in the mix I do have all the sanding disc already from a previous job
                                They bagged mixes are good..as mentioned. I usually make my own though....

Here is a good thread discussing mix design.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...ete-18944.html
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X