39" Tutto Forno in Socal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39" Tutto Forno in Socal

Well, here I go! I am currently doing a layout on the oven floor. The stand is done and I am ready to lay the herringbone pattern floor. I am considering using Greentherm 23Li insulating brick as the floor insulation. I propose to place the insulating brick on edge giving me 4.5" of insulation. The insulating brick meas. 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 . Anyone been down this road, and what feedback can anyone offer, before I start. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Re: 39" Tutto Forno in Socal

I never used insulating brick under the floor brick but, there is no reason why laying them on edge wouldn't work....whether they insulate as well as the more commonly used materials would be my question. From the PDF's I have read, they seem like a nice product.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 06-23-2013, 06:56 PM.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the response Stonecutter, I also questioned the insulating properties, but after comparing the specs to FB Board, they seem equal. That's using them on the flat (2.5") and not the 4.5" dim. At the 4.5" ht. the isulating properties should increase.
      Also, I wanted to get a few more inches of cook floor height, as my stand is finished already.

Bill

Comment

You're welcome.

I didn't look for specs about compression, but I image those brick will support the weight very well. Post pics as you go!

Were in Socal are you? I was born in San Diego.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Born in Conn., but have lived in Huntington Beach most of my adult life.

Comment

Funny...I was born in San Diego, but lived in NW CT up until a few years ago.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

You are close to pacific insulation. I got my cal sil insulation from there. They are fairly cheap so i used 4 inches of insulation
              Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                Funny...I was born in San Diego, but lived in NW CT up until a few years ago.
                I was at San diego and La Jolla over the weekend. Awesome place.

Comment

V-wiz, thanks for the input, upon checking out the cal -sil it is rated to 1200 F, while the insulating brick is rated to 2300 F. Although I know we won't be reaching those temps, wouldn't the higher rating give more insulating properties? Just want excellent thermal performance for heat retention.

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Bill i dont think that would matter. Many have used it with good results

Comment

A few pics of the progress to date. Basic stuff, Yard location, Foundation.
                      Last edited by bnac; 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

So, I guess I don't have the posting routine down as well as I thought I did. Standby, looking for the answer.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Foundation slab.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	295779 The obligatory foundation pic.

Comment

BNAC,

How did you make out with the Greentherm Insulating Brick? I am considering the same thing. Also, if you did decide to go with it, did you like your decision and also, how many bricks did you use?

Comment

Spider,
                              I Have finished the oven and have been using it for some time now.
                              I am thrilled at the performance of the oven, and the heat retention is very good. I would definitely use the insulating bricks as a base over the slab, I also put a 2" layer of thermal board over the brick giving me a 4.5" layer of insulation under my oven floor.
                              When fired for pizza and heat saturated at 800 to 900*F the infrared reads at 100-115 under the stand in the storage area.
                              After closing it up after a pizza bake, oven is around 700*-750*F. I lose about 175* the first night and 150* the second and about 100* per night after that.
                              It gives me lots of opportunity for oven baking other meals on diff nights.

Comment

Working...
                              X