• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jms
    replied
    Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Moderation queue took a while

The old clay oven remains were originally going to be disposed of elsewhere but then I realised that I'd need to fill in the first two layers of blocks to make a floor for the wood-store. The amounts lined up pretty perfectly. Layer of sand on top and then concrete.

Next day I filled in the surrounding voids with rock and then continued stacking the plinth blocks and filling them with concrete.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    started a topic 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

I've been lurking for a long while and I've finally got time to do my own oven project. The FB plans and peoples' build threads have been invaluable during my own planning.

The plan is for a 30", no-vermicrete oven, which will be finished with a brick outer-igloo. Several years ago I built a clay/sand oven which was compromised from the start by the habitual dampness of the scottish weather, so with this build I'm trying to avoid things which the weather might complicate.

I finished the plinth nearly two months ago. Available space in our garden was an issue, which is the reason why the oven will be so small compared to some of the behemoths on here, but 30" will be plenty big enough for our use of small pizza-parties, bread, and roasts.

A tree (fatally damaged in a storm) and the old oven used to inhabit the space where the plinth is. The tree needed to come out eventually so we took the opportunity to take its roots out too and then turn the resulting hole into the foundations.
Working...
X