• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jms
    replied
    Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    That looks really good. You should be proud!

Are you going to put any finish on the base?

The base will get a render and the woodstore will have a door. Then I'm going to do a kind of wood decking style surface to cover over the concrete slab and overhang a bit to provide some working surface.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

That looks really good. You should be proud!

Are you going to put any finish on the base?

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

I've finished cleaning the oven brickwork. I just wish I'd done it before the mortar set and then it wouldn't have taken a couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

I've made up my weatherproofing door over the last few days. The wood was part of an old tabletop, sanded down, and four coats of varnish. With a couple of handles and a weathersealing strip around it.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

Banana and Confiture de Lait (Milk Caramel sauce) dessert pizzas. Made 2.

Next time I need to go hotter and build a bigger bed of embers. I aimed to not overload the oven this first time, but I know it can higher to get that really spotty effect on the crust.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

The first products of the oven.

Caputo 00 dough (20hrs bulk fermented, 6 hrs balled, both at room temp), San Marzano sieved tomato sauce, mozzerella, chorizo. Made 6.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Very nice looking oven .

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

I've finished pointing over the last two days.

Next I've got to clean it up. I've also started buying pizzamaking supplies.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    That outer coating of brick will go a long way to waterproofing the oven. But you still have the Achilles heel of any oven in the open and that's the hearth at the entrance. That hearth brick will soak up any rain that falls on in. It will wick into your oven and of course your insulation will soak it up real fast. A tarp laid on the hearth is a good enough temporary measure, but a outer door is what you'll want in the long term.
    Regards dave
    Yep, I'm planning on building an outer door for this reason.

Did some more pointing today, finished the chimney and started on the dome.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    That outer coating of brick will go a long way to waterproofing the oven. But you still have the Achilles heel of any oven in the open and that's the hearth at the entrance. That hearth brick will soak up any rain that falls on in. It will wick into your oven and of course your insulation will soak it up real fast. A tarp laid on the hearth is a good enough temporary measure, but a outer door is what you'll want in the long term.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

Then I started pointing and got the arch done. Just a simple white sand/white cement mix.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

Then I got the final brick cutting out of the way. Just straightening stuff to make it look better once it is pointed.

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

Since the last post I've completed the dome brickwork and finished with a concrete plug. I had wanted to wait until I'd fired the oven a few times (to drive any possible moisture out), but it has been raining every other day and firing it means I have to move the canopy. I decided that just getting it waterproofed and able to fire it without worrying about rain is more important.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

That looks awesome. You should be very proud

Originally posted by jms View Post
    Does anyone have experience getting old permanent marker out of firebrick?
    900 degree fire should do the trick...

Leave a comment:

• jms
    replied

Today I moved the canopy aside and started the normal curing schedule. Goodbye to my clean brickwork

The side walls reached 150c/300f after a couple of hours and I kept it there by feeding more briquettes for a few more hours. Tomorrow I'm going to start it early and try to get it a bit hotter all day, and then move onto wood the next day.

Does anyone have experience getting old permanent marker out of firebrick?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X