X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    ....made a little progress between work and Christmas to-do's

All the brick veneer is done except for the Chimney. Lights installed and temporarily hooked up.

I have the Tile sitting here waiting, and a local roofer/customer is going to install next week.
    Going to cook a few Pizzas for Lauren's friends tonite. She is hosting a Movie Night "Elf'!

[ATTACH]40837[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40838[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40839[/ATTACH]
    I think those roof tiles are going to look great with the other finishes of your oven...it's come together beautifully. The lights are a nice touch too.

On the topic of grout bags, I hate them like poison.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      I think those roof tiles are going to look great with the other finishes of your oven...it's come together beautifully. The lights are a nice touch too.

On the topic of grout bags, I hate them like poison.
      Thanks for that, You and Tom have given me great advice and support, i kinda feel like I went too "Safe" with the Tile. I really wanted a POP to my roof but it probably would have back-fired on me. I couldnt make the GB work at various hydration levels. How do you do the vertical joints if you dont use them. Or, do you use them but hate the fact that your using it??
      My build documentary page:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

You can do vertical joints with the tuckpointer, it is just a little slower. You do it the same way I showed you for horizontal joints, but you leave the mud higher on the board and hold the jointer vertical and cut off the width of the blade instead of the length. I usually use a jointer slightly larger than the joint for verticals.

Comment

I couldnt make the GB work at various hydration levels. How do you do the vertical joints if you dont use them. Or, do you use them but hate the fact that your using it??
          I don't use them, period. I gave them a try once, but I think they are useless.

For one, I don't like having to add more water than necessary for a pointing mix, which you need to do for it to work with a bag. Two, I can point as fast or faster than when a bag is used. I don't need to wait for the mortar to set to tool it off, so I can go through the process without the extra steps that go with using a bag.

I'll save those things for decorating cakes. But that's me, and it doesn't really matter how the pointing gets done, as long as it's done properly and done well.
          Last edited by stonecutter; 12-21-2013, 05:04 PM.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, Not to steal this thread, but I had a problem where I didn't get enough mortar in some of the bricks near the top of the dome. That's where I had to use a zip lock type baggie. On my back with head in the dome. Is there a better way or easier way? I sure could have used some advise from a pro back then?
            jon

Comment

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
              Stonecutter, Not to steal this thread, but I had a problem where I didn't get enough mortar in some of the bricks near the top of the dome. That's where I had to use a zip lock type baggie. On my back with head in the dome. Is there a better way or easier way? I sure could have used some advise from a pro back then?
              The easier way...which is moot unless you build another oven...would be to bed the brick with as much mortar as you can and stay on bond, maintain your angle, fit in the coursing, etc, etc.

Then all you have to do is flush out the joint with mortar. All you have to do is make the mortar claylike, and push it into the joint by hand ( gloves recommended). It is simple and easy...no awkward handling of tools while you are contorted. That's all there is to it.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for that, You and Tom have given me great advice and support, i kinda feel like I went too "Safe" with the Tile. I really wanted a POP to my roof but it probably would have back-fired on me.
                A copper roof would be great, but the tile is a good choice because it will look more traditional....IMO
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
                  Jon, Maybe some photos would be helpful to show what you are up against

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Stonecutter is right....it is a moot point now the oven is complete. Everything works great. It was just quite a challenge at the time. Now I know better next time. Hopefully next spring/summer will be another build.

Garner, those tiles will be a great final detail to you well done oven. You certainly have mastered the brick work. Perfect match of brick and mortar!
                    jon

Comment

Raked up a few coals and added a chunk of Post Oak, time for some Rib-Eye's. Sides included Butternut Squash and some Baby Portabellos.
                      Our local Sam's always has beautiful Steaks and these were marked down a little.
                      Lot's of fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	303009

Name:	IMG_3927.jpg
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	303010

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	303011

Name:	IMG_3945.jpg
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	303012

Name:	IMG_3949.jpg
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	303013

Name:	IMG_3952.jpg
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	303014

Comment

Apple Pie perfectly cooked through at 400 degrees

Name:	20131222_172222.jpg
Size:	803.8 KB
ID:	303019

Comment

That is awesome, and something I plan on baking as well.

I love fruit pies, apple is the favorite by a small margin...followed by cherry or Maine blueberry!
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Nobody told me about THIS aspect of WFO cooking!

Name:	1385667667380_r.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	303020

Comment

If you look at it as a STOVE, you don`t have to be TOLD! Just saying, there is nothing that your indoor oven can do that your WFO can`t, and its more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                That is awesome, and something I plan on baking as well.

I love fruit pies, apple is the favorite by a small margin...followed by cherry or Maine blueberry!
                                I have to add to this list: Dewberries and Blackberries from the wild "briar patches" that grow down here
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X