42" build in Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" build in Central Texas

Ok I guess I'll do a build thread. So much info and advice here, I be crazy not to let some expert eyes lay on my work!
    Im going to do it all except a couple tasks like the pedestal block which was done yesterday,,,,, Maybe I should have done it myself. My foundation that I poured (65x80) was spot on square, plumb and level but as the mason I hired was finishing up I saw that his block was off my marks by an inch or so. I threw down a tape and he was 1.5" out of square! He looked and looked, measured and re-measured, he gladly re-did the entire left side. Poor guy, no english and Im sure it was an honest mistake somewhere. Laying block isnt like laying stone!
    Im an AC Contractor and it's 102 in Texas so I will be on and off! My son (in a photo here) is in Air Force ROTC going to be a Pilot so Im thinking this will be a good project for us before he goes off. (crying now lol)
    Giving myself 6-8 months but my wife laughs at that and says I'll be done in 3 months! I dont know,,,, the dome is looming, intimidating me, but a couple guys here have done so much work to help, im feeling Ok about it.
    Here is where it sits as of today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4646454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	755.9 KB
ID:	319999

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	319998

Name:	20130801_181044.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	319996

Name:	20130805_182923.jpg
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	319995
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM.
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Re: 42" build in Central Texas

One thing that puzzles me that i see almost everyone does is building the dome directly on top of the Fiber Board. It seems awfully soft to set the full weight of the dome onto. This was my plan until I laid hands on the FB for the first time.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Welcome and thanks for sharing your build. Post lots of pics and tell your son thanks for his service from me.

I had the same apprehension about the FB board, but rest assured it is good to go. See Les's thread where he drove his truck over it. Great looking sight for your build and plenty of heat for you in Kyle-probably good for a hvac business!

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Had a couple hours to work today. With Reagans help we got the Hearth formed up and steel laid. Maybe we will pour some Maximizer next week.
        I will raise the rebar up of course. The steel wires you may see will keep the forms from pushing out.
        At first I was nervous about only 3.5" of concrete but adding the center wall and the angle across the span made me feel better and will keep my floor height where i want it.
        Race weekend coming up so all attention goes to getting Karts ready for a road course! (Oh, and then theres work...)

Name:	20130807_161928.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	296558

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	296559

Name:	20130807_165036.jpg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	296560
        Last edited by GarnerAC; 08-07-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I was concerned about the strength of the fiber board as well. My dome is set on top of the floor and I extended the floor beyond the dome about 1 1/2 inches or so to help spread out the weight. Probably mostly for peace of mind, but I was concerned about the outside edge of the floor (or dome) 'tipping' outward if the board started to compress around the outside. I haven't had any problems and all seems fine so far and there are many other builders that have had no problems building right on the board regardless of floor/dome configuration.
          John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Agree on the strength of the FB. After I built my dome on top of the FB I stood on top of the dome (an additional 180 pounds!) to test the strength. Nothing moved at all and there was no give in the FB whatsoever.

Comment

Alright,,, In 50 years when this thing cracks and falls, Im coming after you guys! Look out for a 108 year old man.
              Last edited by GarnerAC; 08-08-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Sure thing! I'll be 101 years old probably sitting on the park bench next to you!

Oh wait - you live in Texas! No way I am I moving there - you're going to have to come to California to lodge your complaint!

Comment

Why didnt I get much done today??

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                    Alright,,, In 50 years when this thing cracks and falls, Im coming after you guys! Look out for a 108 year old man.
                    I'll be a spritely 95 years old, so maybe I'll be able to outrun you
                    John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Poured the top yesterday. 13 bags of Maximizer, 65"x81"x3.5". I thought I had a helper but forgot he was off yesterday! It was a struggle by myself but "got er done"!
                      The Maximizer didnt finish out very pretty but I think it will hold up just fine. I have plenty of support underneath. Now comes the Dome. Not going to happen fast....

Name:	pouring top 1.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	296675

Name:	top is poured.jpg
Size:	988.3 KB
ID:	296676

Comment

A lot of mud for one person to pour and finish. Now the real fun start. Good luck.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

That finish looks good-no worries. I bet you shed a couple pounds in the heat doing that. That will come in handy later when the cooking starts. That is deserving of some cold adult beverages.

texman
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                            Welcome and thanks for sharing your build. Post lots of pics and tell your son thanks for his service from me.

I had the same apprehension about the FB board, but rest assured it is good to go. See Les's thread where he drove his truck over it. Great looking sight for your build and plenty of heat for you in Kyle-probably good for a hvac business!

Texman
                            I have a box of Insul 19 Fiber Board in 1". Any thoughts about sandwiching a slab of 3/8 Hardi-Backer board between 2 pieces of FB? Might spread the load around?
                            Thinking out loud.......
                            Last edited by GarnerAC; 08-16-2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

the hardibacker might be ok sandwiched since it wont get the full heat of the floor. But i really dont think you need it. It isn't made to stand the heat and that FB board will work. I worried about it too and many builders assured me and they were right. I remember one guy stacked about 20 bricks straight up to see if compressed and it held.

How much floor insulation are you planning?

Have you given any thought to the finished height of your cooking floor ?
                              One of the things in the thread "what would you do different if you did it again?" was more floor insulation and higher cooking floor height. I am 5'11" and added vermicrete base on top of the slab and FB board over that to get a cooking floor height of about 47" (i think) Makes the oven really stand out and easier to work and more fun to watch since you can see easier plus the added benefit of more insulation.

Texman
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X