Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    With a 20" dome height (I wouldn't go any higher than that, lower is fine), you need a 12.5-12.75 inner arch height. Keep it at 63% of the dome height and you are gold.

For the backside voids, fill in enough to stay in place, then use the ends of your batches to fill the rest. That way you never waste any mortar.

Looking good!
    When should i start dropping the dome height. If i leave my IT alone it will be 21". Any advice on when to adjust it down to 20"?
    I was really happy with the insulation board. It was so level and consistent. Never once had to use sand or any leveling agent under the floor bricks. Floor height is 44-1/2"
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Not real sure on the changing height. But i would start it now. You will want the bottom edge of each brick to line up with the course below, so i would shorten the IT 1/2" on this course and the other1/2" on the next. You will line up the bottom of the brick you are setting with the top of the one below it and then tilt it until the top edge of brick lines up with the IT. you will need some kind of spacer to fill the gap between the bottom of the brick and
      the IT. that way, you wont have a lip between courses. Make sense?
      One of the sages probably has a better trick.
      Tex
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
        When should i start dropping the dome height. If i leave my IT alone it will be 21". Any advice on when to adjust it down to 20"?
        I was really happy with the insulation board. It was so level and consistent. Never once had to use sand or any leveling agent under the floor bricks. Floor height is 44-1/2"
        The 63% rule is not crucial. A 1" difference in height will not change the way the oven performs to a noticeable degree.if it were mine I'd just keep going the way you are now and end up with a 21" internal height.
        I tried playing with altering the ratio with my design and the results showed no difference in firing and performance a few percentage higher or lower.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yeah, it does not have to be exact, that is just the goal you aim for. Regarding the ceiling height it is the same unless you start talking low dome, which would be 14-15" height.

Comment

Made some decent progress the last 2 days. 6th row almost done. Gravity is starting to show its face. Inner arch done. Im now starting to see how the bevel is important for good inside joints. My mortar joints are about 1/16" -1/8", a couple slightly larger. Being very careful to get good adhesion between bricks. No voids, buttering both bricks and keeping everything moist. I see some of you with even smaller joints! The ones that kill me are the triangle pieces where the dome meets the arch, Brain busters with all the angles. Im really trying to keep with the bigger bricks and no "potato chip bricks". There are a couple vertical joints that bug me. Thinking about cutting 3 bricks out and re-doing them. Hmmm. Going smooth, having fun. People stop by and chat and look and have no clue what the end will be. They look under the stand and think the fire goes there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	737.3 KB
ID:	297006

Name:	20130830_150516.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	297007

Name:	20130831_111236.jpg
Size:	786.2 KB
ID:	297008

Name:	20130831_111321.jpg
Size:	661.9 KB
ID:	297009

Name:	20130831_150455.jpg
Size:	860.4 KB
ID:	297010

Name:	20130831_165651.jpg
Size:	679.9 KB
ID:	297011
            Last edited by GarnerAC; 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Dove season starts tomorrow so this may take a back seat!

A few more pics:

Name:	20130831_183608.jpg
Size:	813.2 KB
ID:	297012

Name:	20130831_185952.jpg
Size:	983.2 KB
ID:	297013

Name:	20130831_190009.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	297014
              Last edited by GarnerAC; 08-31-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Unless you get 3 vertical joints in a row, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they are even just lipped.

edit- I can tell by looking at it that you are trying to clean it up while the mortar is wet. Let it dry to the crumbly stage, then it cleans without smearing.

Comment

Cranked out another couple of courses in the last week. No major problems getting into the dome. The bevels and angles were a pain to get right. I had a tendency to get a tad low across the dome because of the corner pieces that contact the arch but I have corrected that and should be spot on level at the next course.

The reason it looks wet is because I have had damp towels draped across the top so that it doesnt dry to quickly.

There is significant gap under the 7th course that Im not sure about,(4th photo kinda shows it) as it goes across the arch. Its smoothly mortared up in the gap with no holes or openings but an inch or so gap where the vented smoke and exhaust will have to stumble across. I didnt want to completely build it up with mortar. Any thoughts?

Race weekend in Katy so no working till next week!

Name:	20130904_094425.jpg
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	297147

Name:	20130904_172233.jpg
Size:	701.7 KB
ID:	297148

Name:	20130904_172417.jpg
Size:	901.5 KB
ID:	297149

Name:	20130906_185645.jpg
Size:	828.4 KB
ID:	297150

Name:	20130906_185743.jpg
Size:	741.7 KB
ID:	297151

Name:	20130906_185724.jpg
Size:	730.7 KB
ID:	297152
                  Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Here is that Gap I was referring to. Should I mortar it up or let it fly? If I mortared it up, the mortar would be an inch thick, plus I would be adhering it to dry mortar now.

Name:	20130907_141107.jpg
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	297162

Name:	20130907_141121.jpg
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	297163

Comment

GAC,

Looking good, your dome is coming along nicely.

As far as the gap, I feel your arch transition turn out well. I think any mortaring would just end up in your pie's. Just my opinion, curios what others think though.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build
                      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Beat up some firebrick scraps into 1/4" to 3/8" chunks and add them to the mortar at about 1/3 to half the mix, then fill the gap. Do not utilize the dust from pounding the firebrick, just the aggregate. Your basic refractory concrete.

Comment

Thanks Tom, I went right out there and did it like you said. I mixed it a tad dry, sprayed down the existing material and worked it up in there by hand.
                          Hope I dont have gritty Pizza!

Name:	20130907_181651 (3).jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	297165 Click image for larger version

Name:	20130907_183514.jpg
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	297166

Comment

nice dome. i wouldn't worry too much. take tscar's advice about the mix. good job cleaning as you work up the brick courses. it is a lot easier to clean up as you build rather than waiting until the dome is almost closed.

you're really close to the plug.

hope you're smelling the smoke soon!!
                            jon
                            jon

Comment

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
                              good job cleaning as you work up the brick courses. it is a lot easier to clean up as you build rather than waiting until the dome is almost closed.
                              jon
                              Well said Jon wish I had have paid more attention to this.
                              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

The dome inspector showed up this morning! I killed him....

Name:	20130909_084656.jpg
Size:	908.7 KB
ID:	297201

Comment

Working...
                                X