42" build in Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

What you are proposing will not compromise the arch integrity at all. Grind away.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Have you tried a lit roll of twisted newspaper in the throat opening before you light your kindling? That metal transition and flue will heat up fast and it may be all you need to stop the blow-by.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        Have you tried a lit roll of twisted newspaper in the throat opening before you light your kindling? That metal transition and flue will heat up fast and it may be all you need to stop the blow-by.
        Well, no I havent tried it since I installed the 8" extension/flashing. The Cap has a spark arrestor screen and seems to drag my airflow down. I think I'll grind it anyway.
        My build documentary page:
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

I would grind it too, that throat looks small for a 42"...it certainly won't hurt anything. Try the flue preheat too, you might be surprised
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I would grind it too, that throat looks small for a 42"...it certainly won't hurt anything. Try the flue preheat too, you might be surprised
            Garner,
            The preheat works! I've seen it work many times over the years in fireplaces. In more recent years, my oven. Masonry chimneys can cool down over a few days. In the south, where we live, it is not uncommon to have temps in the 30's at night and 70's by afternoon. The masonry inside your chimney wont warm up as fast as the ambient air. The cooler air inside your chimney will naturally fall out of the entrance of your oven. That is the reverse of what you want. I would do as Stonecutter advises before breaking out the grinder. Preheating cures a lot of problems
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
              Garner,
              The preheat works! I've seen it work many times over the years in fireplaces. In more recent years, my oven. Masonry chimneys can cool down over a few days. In the south, where we live, it is not uncommon to have temps in the 30's at night and 70's by afternoon. The masonry inside your chimney wont warm up as fast as the ambient air. The cooler air inside your chimney will naturally fall out of the entrance of your oven. That is the reverse of what you want. I would do as Stonecutter advises before breaking out the grinder. Preheating cures a lot of problems
              Yeah, I recall you telling me this before Gulf and I think I just forgot to do it. Ive only fired it 4 times beleive it or not... I did however break out the grinder today. I gave it a little taper on either side. I made a dumb mistake while doing it, not realizing exactly where ALL of my blade was at all times. Trying to cut square with a round wheel, I dug into my reveal a bit . I can fix it but Im very irritated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140415_171730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	818.2 KB
ID:	303956

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140415_171741.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	659.4 KB
ID:	303957

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                Trying to cut square with a round wheel, I dug into my reveal a bit .......... I can fix it but Im very irritated!
                You build has turned out to be another one of the superb builds on the FB, It deserves a mention on the treasure trove list. The tapers should help with your draft, once it all black with smoke, no one will ever notice the mistake except you. They will only notice the ones we point out.

I use a charcoal chimney starter set in the vent area which heats up the flue well. After the charcoal or wood is going good, I pour them on the oven floor and add wood. Works good, although on windy days I have had some smoke coming out of the front till the fire got going good. I guess this is down side of going with a larger flue (I have a 9" X 18 " flue opening). I've only seen a few build that lack smoke stains. The perfect flue design still eludes most of us.

I'm sure we will enjoy many year of fun and enjoyment, smoke stains or not.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                  You build has turned out to be another one of the superb builds on the FB, It deserves a mention on the treasure trove list. The tapers should help with your draft, once it all black with smoke, no one will ever notice the mistake except you. They will only notice the ones we point out.

I use a charcoal chimney starter set in the vent area which heats up the flue well. After the charcoal or wood is going good, I pour them on the oven floor and add wood. Works good, although on windy days I have had some smoke coming out of the front till the fire got going good. I guess this is down side of going with a larger flue (I have a 9" X 18 " flue opening). I've only seen a few build that lack smoke stains. The perfect flue design still eludes most of us.

I'm sure we will enjoy many year of fun and enjoyment, smoke stains or not.
                  Thanks KB, That makes me feel better

Comment

G'day
                    Recon you only feel bad because it looks raw. A bit of smoke staining will soften that up and you'll never know
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      G'day
                      Recon you only feel bad because it looks raw. A bit of smoke staining will soften that up and you'll never know
                      Regards dave
                      Thanks Mate!

Comment

Kind of like getting the first door ding on a new car. Like Dave says, soot will soften the look, it just looks worst with the contrast right now. Pizza and food will taste the same.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I don't know, that entryway is all butchered up after that grinder fell out of your hands. Better break out the sledge and have at it.

I wonder what kind of dreams you will have now?
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I don't know, that entryway is all butchered up after that grinder fell out of your hands. Better break out the sledge and have at it.

I wonder what kind of dreams you will have now?
                            Ha, I was just reading thru my whole thread (while watching Forrest Gump) recalling all of the great comments, advice, humor, and psychology....

My only concern is that "door ding" is right where my door will seal against the reveal. Thinking I'll mix up a Tablespoon of Heat Stop with some tiny firebrick pieces in it and try to regain the original form. Its my nature to want to "fix" it!

Tom, if you read this, our 16th annual Crawfish Boil, May 3rd 11AM. bring the Fam!

Comment

G'day
                              My first carved ACC door I made to perfect and once the door got hot it expanded and jammed in the revile. Easy, just wait until it cools I thought. Hours later I put some pressure on the handles and the door shot out of the revel like a champagne cork. The pressure had built up behind with the heat.
                              Sometimes a perfect seal is not a desirable thing. A little leak is not going to be a great heat loser for you.
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I don't think I am qualified to give advice yet.....but give it a month and fix it if you still want to. I have a very large patio that is Stamped Concrete. It is beautiful. Imagine 3 cement trucks coming to your house - full of cement. It's 30 yards. I was very crazy about how it looked and not messing it up. It was all sealed and pretty.

Now, I love it with all it's imperfections and age. I learned to appreciate the way it looks after it ages etc.

But if your door doesn't work properly, only you can decide what to do.
                                Good luck.
                                Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
                                X