Is the home depot vermiculite good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the home depot vermiculite good?

Hi, I'm searching were to find the vermiculite here in FL, and I want to know if the vermiculite from Home Depot is good, and how much do I need for a 42'' heart.
    Thanks.
    THERMOROCK 2 cu. ft. Medium Grade Vermiculite-489702 at The Home Depot

Re: Is the home depot vermiculite good?

I just went to an independent plant nursery and I found big bags of vermiculite $25 and perlite $18, I bought one of each.
    I will probably mix them and do 5:5:2 for the heart.
    Do I get better insulation doing that?
    Last edited by martin_80x; 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Check with a concrete block supplier. The HD price is twice as much for half as much for what I paid at a concrete block supplier. 4 cu ft for 10 bucks earlier this summer.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Keep in mind that if you buy block fill insulation it will be very fine. Agricultural supply and building yards carry the course vermiculite...it will have better insulation properties.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I found that the Home Depot vermiculite was too fine. I went to a different hardware store here in Northern California (Friedman Brothers) and found a supply of larger bags with vermiculite that was coarser grained - I as much happier with this

Comment

I just received my shipment from Uline I purchased the grade 4 stuff. I think it was $34 dollars for 4 Cubic foot bag, I bought 3 bags. Shipping was pricey I thought. I ordered it on Saturday and had by Tuesday.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build
            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

That is pretty high. Had you checked with agricultural suppliers for perlite or vermiculite?
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Go to a nursery as Stonecutter suggests.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Mine was 22$ for vermiculite and 18$ for perlite in 4cu.ft. bags from a nursery....and I may add it was the only thing that was easy to get where I live.....
                  " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

So if I do a 50/50 mix for the heart, how many parts should I use?
                    5:5:2 ?
                    I've been reading how to built it but, I'm a little bit confused, should I use portland cement or regular concrete?
                    Thanks.

Comment

Mix by volume, meaning you can use any size bucket or pail.

If you have a ratio of 1:6 that means......

1 part - Type I/II portland cement ( not pre-mix containing sand or masonry cement)

6 parts perlite or vermiculite.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, I will differ with you on the fine perlite not being as effective as coarse. It is all about surface area and the smaller the grain the greater the surface area for a given volume. It makes it harder to mix well, but it also provides more insulation value.

Comment

I don't see how it could....I feel the larger air spaces created by the larger particles make for better insulation.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Follow it to it's logical conclusion: The BEST insulation would be just an air space by that logic. This is obviously not true. The best insulation is that which provides the most surface area, or alternatively, has no air at all (a vacuum). Observe the size of the granules of an open celled foam and a closed cell foam, then note the R values of each. The difference is surface area.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                              I don't see how it could....I feel the larger air spaces created by the larger particles make for better insulation.
                              I should think that in theory the difference in grain size would be negligible, unless the stuff was ground down to powder. Eg a bucket full of large marbles has the same density as a bucket full of small marbles. The spaces between them are smaller, but but there are more of them. I've found that the fine grade of vermiculite requires more water (because of the larger amount of surface area exposed presumably). The fine vermiculite makes a more workable mix, but then because it takes up more water then there is more to eliminate and I should think that it would dry slower than the course stuff. I'd love to see some tests that show a difference in insulating capacity between fine and course. I suspect that the difference if any would be very small.

I've used both course and fine and while I haven't weighed the bags, did not notice any difference in weight (density)
                              Last edited by david s; 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X