Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will bricks w/side cut make my oven last longer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will bricks w/side cut make my oven last longer?

On my 5th course I decided to try making cuts on the side of the brick. I figured they'd be less likely to fall out than a straight cut. I made four bricks with 5 degree side cuts, placed them side by side dry, they looked good, so I cut the whole course that way. Turns out they don't really fit right - big gap on the inside of the oven (1/4-/12" in a few places), whereas the straight bricks fit nice and tight on the inside.

Will the side-cut bricks actually stay in longer? I don't care about aesthetics of tight fitting bricks. It's taking me MUCH longer to cut and place them, not sure if it's worth it. I could experiment to get the angle right, maybe a 4 degree (as the gap on the inside has been wider than the outside with 5 degree cuts).

Only problem is I'm doing most of this at night, can run the saw too much or the kids will wake up, and the neighbors will hate me.
    Here's mine:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Re: will bricks w/side cut make my oven last longer?

Sounds to me as if you cut to much off the interior edges of the bricks. The primary reason to cut the sides of the bricks is to counteract the inverted v gap that develops as you get higher up on the dome. You will also want to reduce the width of the bricks as you go higher.

Post some pictures if you can please.
    Chip

Comment

I used tapered bricks and cut the sides. As the angle in the arch/circle remains constant you can achieve tight even joints. I managed an average joint of 2-3mm. Whether this makes any difference in the long run I don't know I am just pedantic.

Comment

Pic of my big joints...
        Here's mine:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Comment

I don't think it will add any life to the oven. I tapered mine and didn't use mortar - I would think that is worse case in regard to spalling. After years of use I see no sign of a problem.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Has anyone actually had bricks fall out ?

Comment

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
              big gap on the inside of the oven (1/4-/12" in a few places), whereas the straight bricks fit nice and tight on the inside.
              12mm is way too much of a mortar joint on the inside, 6mm is also pushing it, the tighter the bricks on the inside the better, bricks touching with no mortar is even better.

(12" is way way too much)........
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
                I'm guessing with large joints and heating and cooling cycles it is possible. Reminds me of a comment les made about his bricks finding their own happy place. But his dome is a work of art.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-27-2013, 03:01 AM.
                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

People have definitely had un-tapered bricks from their entry arch slip out. I remember last year or so someone asking for help because that happened.

My thinking in my build was to ask "if the mortar fails to bond or crumbles to dust because I'm an idiot at masonry, what's holding this brick in?" If the bricks are angled on the side (that is, inside face smaller than outside face), there's really nowhere for the brick to go, ever, at least if the inside faces are touching. Magic of physics, that. If the inside faces aren't touching, and the bricks aren't beveled, then theoretically a brick could slip. Making a bevel cut (top face smaller than bottom bace) increases the amount of surface area that's touching, but the main thing is it avoids large triangles of mortar.
                  My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply I used tapered bricks and then cut the sides to the required taper , and touched up any with the 4 inch grinder and a diamond wheel I generally achieved 2-3 mm joints I did this on the same idea your laid out but wondered if I was just being pedantic. The final crown had nine bricks and took em 9 hours so I am probably still nuts.

I established the actual diameter of the oven by setting a full circle or tapered bricks with a 2mm joint spacer - generally happy with the result

Comment

Thanks for the reply I used tapered bricks and then cut the sides to the required taper , and touched up any with the 4 inch grinder and a diamond wheel I generally achieved 2-3 mm joints I did this on the same idea your laid out but wondered if I was just being pedantic. The final crown had nine bricks and took em 9 hours so I am probably still nuts.

I established the actual diameter of the oven by setting a full circle or tapered bricks with a 2mm joint spacer - generally happy with the result
                      Hi Toomulla

Noticed you are new and only a few posts. Do you have any pictures of your build from start to finished. From your comments sounds like you joined the forum way after your completion.would be good to see your wfo.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

Attached are a few photos ( I will try and upload the rest shortly) I have follow the FB discussions for well before I started. But need a prod to get to the stage of publishing my sins

Comment

Toomulla
                          Thanks for posting the pics. She's a beauty.

Tex
                          Texman Kitchen
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks toomulla

Sweet, interesting way of finishing the dome.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

The final height of the flue is 3 meters

Comment

Working...
                              X